1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Does anyone have any advice about bleaching in regards to bleach concentration vs. time spent in the bleach so as to not weaken the fabric too much? The story: I'd already done a light bleach job on some APCs, shown here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...52#post4183752 I decided it was time to rebleach and get them whiter, which was why i bleached them in the first place. bleach/water 1:3 ratio or so, bucket soak 3 or 4 hours. They turned white except a few spots, and it looks awesome, except i put them on while still damp and they started ripping at the dampest spots. I may have fried 'em with the bleach, so I'm asking my question above, but they do look cool. I'm hoping they'll be stronger once they finish drying. I'll try to get some pics up. edit: once dried, the jeans quit ripping. How nice of them.

2. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

Couple of pairs of deadstock GATs on B&S in my size.. considering buying a pair and messing with them.

The most "realistic" thing I could do them is splash paint all over them (or try my hand at a hand-paint.. lol), but what kind of paint would I have to grab? Would I have to get different paints for the suede trim and the leather upper?

Certainly won't look as good as MMM hand-painteds, but it'd save me a ton of money.

3. snake

snake Senior member

^ I was planning to grab some high gloss latex paint and just go at it.

4. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

some of my diy-ers
    diy Margiela nail ring
    [​IMG]

Woah how did you do this? Looks super clean, like a perfect circle. Metalworking tools?

5. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

Whats some random thing to do to a white shirt button up shirt?

6. ghostdog123

ghostdog123 Senior member

Tear it in half.

Whats some random thing to do to a white shirt button up shirt?

7. baconzilla

baconzilla Senior member

[​IMG] DIYed a fake

2 people like this.
  8. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

Woah how did you do this? Looks super clean, like a perfect circle. Metalworking tools?
    My dad has a workshop ^^

9. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

My dad has a workshop ^^
    Aw darn, hoped it was something I could do myself.[​IMG] Thanks though.

10. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

Tear it in half.

srs?

someone gimme some ideas

11. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

^ Cut the sleeves off and replace them with leather ones.

12. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

considered that, too hard, synth said that before. Do you guys reckon I could dye each sleeve a colour? If so how should I do that, like stopping the dye from going past the sleeves. Should I remove them :S and then do it?

I bought $5 sweats pants and shirts to do random stuff to.

13. mmmmpay

mmmmpay Senior member

Question: Does clipping the collar and cuffs off a long-sleeve polo make for a serviceable henley approximation? I have two L L Bean long sleeve polos that are near 6 years old and have been worn maybe twice each. They're smalls but too big on me to wear without looking a bit unkempt. So my theory is, I might as well get some use out of them for layering/collarless pursuits.

So has any one tried this before? Does it look completely ridiculous or is this something I can get away with/possibly be happy about? Is it doomed to fail?

14. A Fellow Linguist

Work in progress. Yeeeeeaaaaah. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

Thats heaps good. How did you learn? Internet? Book?

16. A Fellow Linguist

^ Thanks, I learned the basics from my ex, the rest from internet videos. There's a lot of repetition involved, so once you figure out how to not mess up the basics it's pretty easy. As per Drew's advice I had a look at some patterns from japan. Those guys are fucking crazy. The patterns are really nice, but it's like they never hold back. Crazy techniques all over them, some I've never seen before. And their symbol guides suck: [​IMG] What is this shit?

1 person likes this.
  17. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

I've been thinking about trying to make my own cardigan but after seeing the indecipherable pic above I'm totally discouraged. [​IMG]

18. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Gawd, no wonder knits are so goddamn expensive.

19. A Fellow Linguist

^^ Unless you learn to knit and find that you really enjoy it I wouldn't recommend it. Enough (nice) materials to make a sweater can be anywhere from $40-200+, and then you have to factor in the time it'll take to complete. A hat can be done in a weekend, if you're fast. Socks in maybe a week. A sweater would be quite a bit longer, as you might imagine. It's hard, for me at least, to find a pattern that's both interesting and within my skills. Can't make it boring if you're going to be with a project for a long time.

20. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

How long do you knit a day? Watching TV or somethign doesn't it get boring after a while?