1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

Can anyone in this thread actually knit a decent sweater? I have way too much free time and I wonder if knitting is something I can get into.

2. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Not I, and it isn't a sweater, but if it's any inspiration to you, a friend of mine made herself these:

[​IMG]

3. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

AFL tried doing it before. You can try messaging him. I also remember someone posting an image of a knit pattern but can't remember if it was by AFL or someone else.

4. sneet

sneet Well-Known Member

They actually started making monoblack docs, they cost the same as normal ones new. But if you find a cheap pair second hand with the gumsole it's probably worth it to paint it.

5. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

Anybody here have experience dyeing linen?

If so, what kind of difficulties would I have to expect if I wanted to dye a 100% white linen jacket black or dark grey? The jacket in question has a white cotton lining also. Ideally I'd like to dye it in such a way that the whole thing comes out very dark grey/black. It seems like hot dyeing would be best for this, but I'm afraid the jacket might shrink too much. Is there a way to dye it that would have a good chance of success? I don't own it yet, but its available for a very very cheap price (more than 60% less than I've ever seen a jacket of this brand go for). The black versions are always more sought after and expensive. Just wondering if anyone's tried this and can offer advice (or dissuade me :) )

6. ImaPro

ImaPro Well-Known Member

Lining shouldn't be a problem as both are natural fibers. I've dyed cotton black with a great outcome. Use more than indicated and its better to go for all black as gray would probably be blotched.

I've used Dylon but I've heard this was one of the best fiber reactive dyes.

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/dyes/

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. sneet

sneet Well-Known Member

When you dye fabric, what's a good way to set it? I have a denim jacket that fits perfect but has very cheesy distressing

8. dirty rob

dirty rob Active Member

I've hot dyed a white linen shirt that was going yellow from age to a very dark blue. I had never tried it before but it came out perfectly. I've tried the same technique with pure cotton t-shirts as well but the colour didn't come out as homogenous for some reason.

9. Kwaker

Kwaker Well-Known Member

If shrinking is a concern, obviously avoid hot-dying (e.g. Rit) and go for cold water dyes (e.g. Dylon, as mentioned above).

10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Only concern would be the thread. The amount of visible thread depends on the type of jacket (a tailored jacket is going to have about every seam hidden inside...a M-65 type jacket will have a lot of visible stitching), but it is probably polyester thread since cotton thread is not very good...

Polyester thread really won't take the color...so if you have a lot of exposed white stitching and dye it dark, you will have contrast stitching. Maybe dylon is better, but RIT won't touch poly.

The dye works ok on plastic buttons though. I dyed a white jacket orange and the buttons took on a nice orange hue to better match.

11. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be an issue, it's a handmade blazer (PH actually). Might have to replace the yellow-white buttons after dying but that's not such a big deal :)

12. siriusmo

siriusmo Member

If you're shelling out on PH then spend the little extra to take it to a professional to dye it.

13. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

Going to DIY Over button shawl EG style with a blanket lying around at home. :D

14. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

been kind of considering doing the same thing. would be rad if someone with the actual EG piece could draw up a rudimentary pattern of dimensions/button placements.

15. magicalporks

magicalporks Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Messing around with metalworking lately, just cheap metals for now until I have something I really want to make. Any suggestions guys?

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. troika

troika Well-Known Member

Second that with the buckles. I am always on the look out for awesome simple buckles in something like brass for my 1" belts.

In fact if you ever want to collab on some unique belts, let me know.

Something like cause&effect

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  18. Timbaland

Timbaland Well-Known Member

You should try making jewelry. I remember that one guy making nail rings like Margiela. You can also try making bracelets and other stuff. You can try looking at Philips Crangi's stuff.

19. Im Twelve

Im Twelve Well-Known Member

Knit a hat
    [​IMG]
    Based on Inverallan's Cable hat
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    15 people like this.
  20. Im Twelve

Im Twelve Well-Known Member

3 people like this.