1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

that came out really nice!
    you should have a fit pic.

2. onijo84

onijo84 Senior member

Noted. I will get in touch with you soon when the leather comes in. Thanks for the explanation.

3. poorman

poorman Senior member

Wow. You are a diy god. Dear god please send me a shirt from above. LOL.

For real though how much fabric do you need for a shirt? What kind if sewing machine are you using?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. DanIsThe

DanIsThe Member

Little update on my painted Converse. Found long laces at a local sports place. Had to drop like $4 for a pair of hockey referee laces. Later went to the dollar store for snacks and found the same goddamn thing for a dollar. Not worth returning them but now I'll know for next time and you will too.

[​IMG]

I think the long laces will look much better than the shorter ones once they're broken in and grimy and nasty.

Also did a small fix to the tongues - stitched them to the uppers about halfway up the shoe cos I was tired of them derping out and twisting around. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

[​IMG]
    Too bad it'll be too hot for jeans until September.

5 people like this.
  5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Visit InsideGuidiSecrets.com for more details?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. poorman

poorman Senior member

Whenever someone types out a website I have the urge to launch it even if it's obviously fake. LOL. ^that's not a real website! :lol:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Those cons are so good.

8. troika

troika Senior member

I used that stuff too. Just cheap shit from Tandy. Key is to do a few coats, then once thoroughly dry, coat it in obenaufs wax (the same thing I put on my boots for weather protection) and let that ish dry out really well in the sun. It obv doesn't work on the acrylic painted stuff but for the raw stained leather it works like a charm.

I used a sponge and it did create some bubbling, so I'd try brushing the paint on.

9. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

What's a good quality brand dye you guys recommend?

10. -JR-

-JR- Member

Whoa. This thread....is awesome!

Just stumbled upon it, and I'll case this thing thoroughly, but have any of you guys got a good reliable source for denim by the yard (or perhaps roll)? I have found a few sources online, but nothing truly satisfying.

I'm actually a sofa builder, and near LA-I know there's a fabrics district, I just don't know the lay of the land and the factory I work at doesn't do denim. Been kicking around a side project iidea for a while now.

11. -JR-

-JR- Member

Don't think this is true DIY as I am a pro sofa builder, but I'll let you all be the judge.

Here's a pic of my one and only side project made for a friend. Unfortunately it was not all DIY, as I don't know how to sew currently, a fellow furniture builder helped me there. I did design, build and upholster the thing though. The idea I had at the time was to get some 3D "slime" on a a sofa, which turned out pretty interesting and pretty difficult and time consuming. The arms are detachable and ya might notice piping on the back pillows but not on the cushions-Imfigured it'd be too much green. :)

If anyone has upholstery furniture related questions, I'll be happy to chip in. I work in a shop that produces all kinds of pieces.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. troika

troika Senior member

for what material?

13. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Cotton I had a khaki bomber and it got a bunch of stains from putting it with some jeans by accident so I might just dye it

14. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

you might try these.

`premium denim outlet
    750 towne LA
    213 688 o899

`pacific blue denims
    1011 e. 8th st. LA
    213 622 1211

pacific charges a fee for less then 100 yds.
    dont know about premium.

caution, ask about the denim you choose
    if the color will rub off. some denim will do that.
    also dont pick a stretch denim its ca bitch to
    work witch. and you need a machine that will sew it.
    if you need to buy a sewing machine pick a used
    industrial machine, household ones are good for
    womens hone sewing.
    there are several industrial machine dealers in LA.

good luck
    alex

1 person likes this.
  15. imdejesus1

imdejesus1 Member

I'm planning on DIY'ing an old pair of Old Navy jeans. The fit is sill nice but they got an ink stain so I bleached it and it looks bleh. What I plan on doing is dying it a nice brown for fall/winter with possible black dye splatter or lines, I'm gonna sew the fabric from an old red and black lumberjack shirt to one of the back pockets then wax the whole thing for that expensive look. Thoughts?

16. Diglet

Diglet Senior member

Sounds overly complicated for a pair of pants but please do show us the results.

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Yo -JR- how's about you do a denim sofa and put a tag on it that says don't wear white clothes while sitting on it :slayer:

actually, seriously, just imaging the fades on a couch, like central fading on the seats, rubbing off the armrests, etc. Make all the coverings removable so they can be washed after a year or two... or am I just nuts? Put raw leather accents like as the trim or arm rest covers etc. Pop that baby into a americana type store like RRL or SelfEdge or whatever

18. Dirty Denim

Dirty Denim Senior member

LOVE IT !!! I so wish I had the talent and patience to learn to do such a beautiful job I bought a shirt made from a guy on the Iron Heart forum (SCHMIDT SHIRT). It was a red selvedge 12oz denim shirt. I personally love anything made custom by the every day guy. Something about the way it looks...maybe its just that I know it was made just for me that gets me excited.[​IMG] If I had ur talent Corey I'd be making an endless supply of Mister Freedom or Post overall style shirts like the Chemise Callico shirt HINT HINT***

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  19. -JR-

-JR- Member

Thanks a ton-especially on the stretch tips. Will report back!

Heheh, was actually thinking bout getting a real faded light blue to avoid the bleeding, still up in the air on that little problem. We had a stock denim here at the shop we got on clearance, never had anyone come back with any bleedage problems so might not be that bad.

Shoot! I was trying to figure a way to incorporate some leather into the design! I was thinking buttons, or front panels, but I don't want it to be for simply cosmetic purposes. Denim, leather, and wood-I don't think a more perfect combo can exist. Possibilities are truly endless. Thanks formthe feedback man!

20. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Senior member

Maybe I'm an asshole, but I kinda think a denim sofa is going to look super Walmart-core

3 people like this.