1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. artishard116

artishard116 Distinguished Member

While we're on the topic of shoes here's my (re)painted gats. The before pic doesn't really do justice to how beat to shit they were, I forgot to take a good one. Happy with how they turned out. Just used cheap art store acrylic and a brush for anyone interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Those look perfect. Is the whole shoe leather lined?

3. smashwindow

smashwindow Distinguished Member

will definitely do this to my beige painted gats when they are that beat up. Which will probably be pretty soon considering how easy they are to slip on and off.

4. artishard116

The heel area and tongue are, the rest is like a canvas backing. The leather inside is super soft, part of what makes them so comfy imo. You never joined the club?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

5. alexthephallus

alexthephallus Active Member

Just flip your sweatpants inside out, then take your favorite fitting pants, put it on top of your sweats and make sure the outseams are lined up. Mark where the inseam is with chalk or something and sew on the line. I would suggest going .25" from your mark though because the first time i did it, they came out absurdly tight. [​IMG]

6. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Distinguished Member

picked up the shoes today since there weren't many left and they had dropped the price even more (to 15 $ [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the white parts are canvas and the light-greyish parts are suede (quite nice actually)
    Do you think the result would be cool if I were to cover up the soles with tape(and take out the laces), and then dye them black?
    I'm not so worried about the canvas parts, but wondering how dyed suede will turn out, has anyone else ever tried that?

7. spacepope

spacepope Distinguished Member

Hey Synth, I was looking through the thread and I noticed you painted a pair of jeans and I'm curious about any peeling or chipping or stuff like that. Do the pants shed paint wherever they go? Any sort of cool wear patterns showing up? Starting to hate the color of some Zam B pants I have and this thread's got me thinkin bout PAINT

8. KingJulien

KingJulien Distinguished Member

9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Maybe once? I like them but own no black trousers. They don't really go with much but I just realized navy cropped pants would probably work so now I'm thinking about navy pants gold shoes and some sort of blazer. Hmm.

Space, my painted jeans were kind of a disaster. Well, so far at least - I used latex house paint instead of acrylic, which totally permeated the fabric and has turned them into solid tubes of paint-fabric. They're not really wearable, but I do have a scheme involving a belt sander and a bench grinder that I've been tempted by. Acrylic seems to be the better choice from people I've talked to.

Art, I have a pair of the surplus trainers but not the Maison version. I had painted only the soles of those originally but will probably paint the whole thing soon enough. I need to find some leather insoles for them, though, as the ones they come with are horrible and also now are disgusting.

10. alexthephallus

alexthephallus Active Member

might be cool. You have to buy special paint for suede, iirc.

where to cop?

11. artishard116

Tried the painted jeans thing with acrylic and they didn't breath well and got stiff too. Thinking maybe light coats of spray paint is the best route.

12. smashwindow

smashwindow Distinguished Member

someone painted a pair of shoes with gesso, I did the same with a denim jacket, which I unfortunately cut into a denim vest (looked way better as a jacket). It is a bit stiff but not unwearable, I found the key was diluting the paint and doing several coats and washing every few coats. (probably did 6 coats and and 2 washes)

13. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior Member

Has anyone done a DIY helmut lang thumb bondage thing thats on the end of the sleeve?

14. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

The snow flakes I spraypaint stenciled onto an ugly holiday sweater worked really well.

I think I posted it earlier in this thread--the fabric was still soft and pliable to the point where you might think it wasn't even paint. I imagine that with a fair amount of paint you could get a bit more of a "painted" effect but still keep it wearable.

15. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior Member

Like Artishard, I painted my GAT originals. I only painted the suede:

(These have no insoles, that is just the lining lol)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(click for much larger view)

Tips:

- use a cheapo plastic shoe tree whilst painting
    - sand down the area with medium grit paper
    - mix water with the acrylic paint
    - do multiple coats

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012