1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

well this is attempt #2 - the first was 2 denim shirts of differing colors, which I loved, but I decided to do that "twirly leather lace" thing along the entire seam where the two shirts connected and I hated how it came out. It was really sloppy since it's impossible to get the lace to stay how you might want it.

For this I just went back to basics with white OCBD and I'm experimenting with the leather in a few other places. I think I might actually leave the big strip of it hanging off the pocket like that. One other idea is to have it somehow integrated in the cuffs. maybe instead of buttons it will be tied with leather? I don't know.. any ideas?

Also note the shirt with the leather on it now is not the same as the one with the extra length. The one with the leather is just a practice shirt to see what I might like so I don't mess up the main one again :)

edit: maybe I could somehow have it tied in the corners where the extra shirt starts poking out, so there is like 6-8" of leather tassles flopping around at my hips. I mean make it look like the extra bit of fabric is tied on by the leather

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

or a lace going down the placket that leads to the cuff... think you should cut off the long strip at the pocket though, i feel like it'll be cleanerr

3. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

laced cuffs would be sweet

1 person likes this.
  4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

5. Jabonator

Jabonator Senior member

This thread makes me want to try some DIY, but have no idea what. :embar:

6. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Been thinking about cutting of the "top" of my white sneaks and painting them white, but not sure if it'd turn out cool or look like shit [​IMG]

7. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

don't do that

3 people like this.
  8. greyweather

greyweather Member

Some stuff I did a while ago:

Tie dyed some white socks:
    [​IMG]
    Dip dyed a shirt:
    [​IMG]
    Bleached / studded a shirt (not a fan of the studs at all but it was a gift):
    [​IMG]
    Just messing around with bleach on an old band T:
    [​IMG]
    Bleach ombre'd a flannel:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the shitty instagram photos.

I'll have some new stuff to post soon that should be a lot cooler.

10 people like this.
  9. rjbman

rjbman Senior member

Flannel looks awesome.

10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Flannel is very interesting :happy:

11. max_r

max_r Senior member

+1 on the flannel looking awesome, i may have to try something like that.

did the texture change at all?

12. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

Going to try DIY-ing some stuff this month instead of buying anything new.

Tween, I have a Yohji blazer with a cool string detail that might give you some ideas on what to do with your project.

Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

yeah I remember that one twerk. very cool.

also, gonna echo everyone else and say I definitely want to see some more info about that bleached flannel.

I played around with a few more things and decided I'm just going to buy some much softer suede lace to get the desired effect that I want. I also added the tassles to the side hem at the hips on the test shirt and it's kind of cool but the cross-lacing I did for about 1.5 inches up the side gave me medieval vibes so I might try to figure out something else.

My roommate has a grommet punch as well so that could help with tidying things up, but at the same time I'm not sure I will like how those look and i might try my hand at stitching up some button-hole-esque holes instead...

anyway, I'll post up here whatever I end up doing next once I get some super soft suede lace.

14. max_r

max_r Senior member

Not so much DIY, but heres my H&MxMMMxSandpaper boots as inspired by Hebe in the H&M thread.

originally started out painted like this;
    [​IMG]

but I thought they looked too 'clean' even with the faux distressing from the factory. I sanded them down a bit to try to make them look a bit more roughed up, but they ended up looking like shit, so I just sanded off all the paint (a real pain in the ass, too).

[​IMG]

I kinda like the paint on the seams and sole, the small flecks all over are hard to see unless you're up close.

the texture is kind of like suede now, sort of. Color is accurate on my monitor, kind of a dark grey. I already have one pair of grey zip boots though so I'm not sure if I want to put black shoe polish on them. Maybe I'll see how they break in first, they'll probably be my rainy day shoes. And if the weather keeps up with how it has been over the last few months, they may just be my most worn shoes.

Heres a fit picture of them, I think they look fairly normal from afar.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/164384/the-waywt-discussion-thread/85965#post_6111536

15. Synthese

OK now paint them white again

6 people like this.
  16. max_r

max_r Senior member

I might do seeing as most of my footwear is dark colored.

Just hypothetically, what would be the best kind of paint for such an endeavor?

17. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

There was a dye that was recommended to me when I thought about dying my hi-tops darker (that would work well with suede) so maybe that could be something.
    (don't remember brand, but think I got the recommendation from here so maybe someone else can chime in)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  18. Synthese

The onnly paint I've ever used for shoes was latex house paint, mostly because that's what was around. It'll probably peel off and crack, which could look neato

19. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

acrylic works and doesn't peel/flake too much

20. slstr

slstr Senior member

Anyone have any idea how I would go about adding a leather trim under the collar of my peacoat à la TOJ?

is it as simple as getting my hands on some leather and cutting it down and sewing it on?