• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes to all the above, thread does not live to its full potential !
A time for leather sleeved RLBL blazers, pillowcase tees and nylon djellabas, machine washed monks and cut out oxfords, dyed, bleached, paint splattered anything

xCrunchx

Reaction score
synth is the only one doing crazy stuff. someone try gradient dying something

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hopefully I'll get my nose to the grindstone this weekend...will post

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i saw this on another website. though some consider it "cheating" i thought it was a cool way of distressing raw denim. he also does a quick instruction on waxing which ill probably end up doing soon too.

Ugh. Not buying raw denims to do this to... might do to a pair of normal dark jeans if I can find for cheap. Of course, I threw out a pair of decently sized jeans a year or two ago because I spilled HCl on them, which would be like, so unique and ****.

Or would this epically not work because I am le novice to not fvcking up raw denim?

Last edited:

shootspeed

Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

stumbled upon this while looking for laundering tips; the result is pretty cool. i always wanted one of those christopher kane galaxy tees for layering so this looks like a pretty cool DIY alternative.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Xpost:
this came in this morning, really excited--so any ideas how to repair? i believe some extra denim scrap will be arriving as well, but not an actual kit.
repair kit came from ny, the scrap denim may come directly from europe somewhere (forgot where nudies are made)
came with: thread, denim scrap, sand paper, buttons, and a cool tin to carry it all. all in all it was a nice little surprise :eek: Everything was hand written as well

Going to repair that area with the smiley face
6837677642_92cbcba476_z.jpg

I was thinking about just completely cutting out the shaded area then sew in the denim from the inside then sand it down or let it fade naturally.

any ideas? Alternatively is to ship it to a denim repair shop

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last night I started what may be my most ambitious clothing mod, turned out OK so far.

i was trying to emulate this HL coat:

s3116.jpg

I had a light navy mac made by martin and osa that I used as a base. I finished one arm yesterday, it was a ***** because I didn't want to sew down the liner inside. sorta subtle because the navy and black are so close in color, but the effect turned out pretty good. I ended up sewing the insert around all the edges, unlike the HL piece. The cut-out is pretty much perfect, looks a little crooked in the pic though.

LIsCQ.jpg

Last edited:

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
indeed. i wanna try to get the second arm done this weekend then I'll get some pics. I also want to get silver zips put on the cuffs, but I think I'll have a tailor do it because I am worried about ******* up the liner. I'm a sewing newb.

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like I said, the effect is subtle because of the colors...

gK41x.jpg

NmmwB.jpg

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alright, the next victims are the following. Not technically DIY because I am going to have a leather tailor do it. Gonna attach these sleeves to this vest. WUUT

I will hopefully also finish the mac this weekend.

lLP5U.jpg

Last edited:

Anduru

Reaction score
synth is the only one doing crazy stuff. someone try gradient dying something
I have a pair of old jeans I was thinking of dip-bleaching, but I don't know how to do anything cuz I'm a DIY noob lol.
I'm also not 100% sure what I want to do with the jeans. They need to be dyed first because they've faded in a way that I really don't like, and then I've saved tons of images of DIY inspiration.

I will def post when I get around to DIYing them.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://jackfoxley.com/

Now everyone can be (almost) as cool as NOBD with a lower barrier of entry

David Foxley started the prep company Jack Foxley to service all men whose well-worn sweaters and jackets are in need of some love. Offering sew-on-yourself leather, suede and wax cotton elbow patches in rich colors like chocolate brown, cobalt (Turkey Pond blue, he calls it), orange and green ($12 per set, plus $3 for shipping), Foxley makes mending one’s favorite blazer or cardigan easier, chicer and more affordable. No more bad pleather patches from the corner tailor. “I’ve received orders from college professors in New England and military colonels in North Carolina,” says Foxley, who works a second shift as an assistant editor at Vanity Fair. “The list of characters is long, and their correspondence is strikingly colorful.” Send him a garment and, for a tailoring fee of about $50, Foxley and his crew will do it all — fit, sew and ship it back within two weeks. Handwritten note included.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:) Thanks, t_s. Just saw the link in the other thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads