1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TurnerE

TurnerE Member

So, having seen the Margiela gold sneakers and fantasizing about them waaaaayyyy too much, I've finally decided that I'm going to try and DIY a pair. I have a fair amount of gold leaf lying around, so I figured I'd use that. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has attempted it before, has any advice, or any ideas about how I should go about it.
    Here's the inspiration: http://www.mrporter.com/product/323642
    I would probably just buy them if they made my size, but my feet are too small :(

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

so I guess you're going to take a pair of normal gats, like not the mmm ones but the ones from germany?

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Yes, I've done it. from the very first page :

[​IMG]

What I did:

light layer of spray adhesive
    layers of gold leaf
    layers of "antique" varnish.

Mine peel constantly, so I'd experiment a bit with varnishes and stuff first. Also, it's very, very difficult to get it lay as flat and even as what they show. You could always try a combo of leaf + gold paint. I would definitely try it again. The ridges on your trainers will be tough, though.

4. celery

celery Senior member

If you want to gild something here's my advice (based on quite a bit of gold leafing experience).

Apply your adhesive with a brush. Treat each area as a panel and work only that area. Use flat tweezers to hold the leaf, do not use your fingers, also be careful not to breathe towards the leaf, you want to keep it as un-crinkled as possible. Allow that area to dry before you continue.

Do not stack layers of leaf.

When an area is dry, take a clean and dry soft bristle brush and push at the edges to clean up that area. Then repeat the application process adjacent to the finished area. Take care not to touch completed areas with your fingers.

When you're done, apply varnish ( with a brush) and let it dry completely.

3 people like this.
  5. Synthese

^ this is good advice. I definitely rushed my job, and was happy with it being "messy," but to gild frames and whatnot you need to be much more careful than I was; so this makes good sense.

6. kindofyoung

pondering if I should buy or not and then paint
    [​IMG]
    Because the shape is nice right? (pretty similar to the B&N oes) and then painting them either all black or all white could turn out rather cool [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

What shoes are those?

If they are a good deal you should buy them, dying white sneakers black is pretty cheap/easy. Just be careful with the sole.

8. kindofyoung

weekday, I think they are like 25 $ downtown

9. ImaPro

ImaPro Senior member

Then go for it it is a simple process. Just make sure to use oil based dye like fiebings.

Here is a pic of my dye'd KVAs.

[​IMG]

10. TurnerE

TurnerE Member

Yes! that's certainly the plan :) could you maybe recommend a good place to pick up a pair, since I've been having a little trouble with my google searches... Definitely don't want to spend 300 pounds on a pair of shoes that I'm going to gild myself!
    Those look pretty cool! I definitely wouldn't mind if my shoes turned out that way, I just know it's going to be a lot of work to even get it looking that good!
    WOW! thanks so much for this great advice, although it seems like quite a project, your post has almost made me feel more confident about the project :D

I'll definitely post my progress on here... sounds like it should be a fun adventure.

2 people like this.
  11. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

While we're on the topic of shoes here's my (re)painted gats. The before pic doesn't really do justice to how beat to shit they were, I forgot to take a good one. Happy with how they turned out. Just used cheap art store acrylic and a brush for anyone interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Synthese

Those look perfect. Is the whole shoe leather lined?

13. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

will definitely do this to my beige painted gats when they are that beat up. Which will probably be pretty soon considering how easy they are to slip on and off.

14. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

The heel area and tongue are, the rest is like a canvas backing. The leather inside is super soft, part of what makes them so comfy imo. You never joined the club?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  15. alexthephallus

alexthephallus Active Member

Just flip your sweatpants inside out, then take your favorite fitting pants, put it on top of your sweats and make sure the outseams are lined up. Mark where the inseam is with chalk or something and sew on the line. I would suggest going .25" from your mark though because the first time i did it, they came out absurdly tight. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. kindofyoung

picked up the shoes today since there weren't many left and they had dropped the price even more (to 15 $ [​IMG])

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the white parts are canvas and the light-greyish parts are suede (quite nice actually)
    Do you think the result would be cool if I were to cover up the soles with tape(and take out the laces), and then dye them black?
    I'm not so worried about the canvas parts, but wondering how dyed suede will turn out, has anyone else ever tried that?

17. spacepope

spacepope Senior member

Hey Synth, I was looking through the thread and I noticed you painted a pair of jeans and I'm curious about any peeling or chipping or stuff like that. Do the pants shed paint wherever they go? Any sort of cool wear patterns showing up? Starting to hate the color of some Zam B pants I have and this thread's got me thinkin bout PAINT

18. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

synth do you ever wear those gold shoes?

19. Synthese

Maybe once? I like them but own no black trousers. They don't really go with much but I just realized navy cropped pants would probably work so now I'm thinking about navy pants gold shoes and some sort of blazer. Hmm.

Space, my painted jeans were kind of a disaster. Well, so far at least - I used latex house paint instead of acrylic, which totally permeated the fabric and has turned them into solid tubes of paint-fabric. They're not really wearable, but I do have a scheme involving a belt sander and a bench grinder that I've been tempted by. Acrylic seems to be the better choice from people I've talked to.

Art, I have a pair of the surplus trainers but not the Maison version. I had painted only the soles of those originally but will probably paint the whole thing soon enough. I need to find some leather insoles for them, though, as the ones they come with are horrible and also now are disgusting.

20. alexthephallus

alexthephallus Active Member

might be cool. You have to buy special paint for suede, iirc.

where to cop?

1 person likes this.