*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. xCrunchx

xCrunchx Senior member

How bout your scarf did that manage to finish, looks great btw

2. TonicAura

TonicAura Well-Known Member

I have a pair of dark indigo jeans (not raw and have been in the washer a couple time). I've been thinking about dip dyeing them, but I dunno if I should. For the record it's my plainest pair of jeans and I'm not sure if I should dip dye them.

Thoughts? Also, I'm working on using otter wax on a pair of gray jeans, I'll post pics when done.

3. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I made some initial forays into working with the leather I purchased for boot-making, and it is tough stuff! I hope I don't end up convincing myself I need an industrial sewing machine. I really don't want to start doing the stuff with awls and 5-ply linen thread and shit, but I feel like this is a slippery slope.

4. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Yeah, it's done, my girlfriend has it now so probably no pics. You can get the idea from what I poster earlier, tho, it's just the same motif repeated for a few feet.

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

OK so I purchased some Otterwax (no malakas) to wax some black levi's 511s. They are the type of small company USA made artisan crap that I could see GQ endorsing. The tutorial on the website showed a calm peaceful woman applying long smooth strokes to the jawnz, which lied perfectly flat. I thought, easy enough. Well I tried rubbing the bar and the end result was a splotchy uneven mess, with random clumps everywhere, as the jeans bunched up repeatedly. Felt like I needed medieval torture stretching device. Apparently a blowdryer should be used to heat up clumps and smooth out with fingers. I skipped that.

WARNING: This stuff smells almost comically bad, like industrial cleaner one would use to clean up blood in a truckstop bathroom. Wearing them almost made me lightheaded, I don't recommend this product.

WARNING #2: If you live with pets, or even Persians, be prepared to absorb all the free floating hair in the household. Normal waxed jeans have this habit but Otterwax seems 10x worse.

If I were to attempt this again, Id just do subtle waxing near the hems a la certain Dior models.

I just wanted to make you guys proud. :(

BTW I can upload pics if anyone really wants to see..

6. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

7. wootx

wootx Senior member

Curious about this too.

I suspect this requires more than stantard tools/equipment though?

8. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Big Pun, it sounds like you skipped one of the most important steps. This is all speculation on my part but it seems like common sense. The hairdryer and smoothing part will get the wax into the fibers better than just sitting on the surface, which is why they are clumpy and attracting even more hair and fur than usual.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

9. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Senior member

If anyone else has done or plans to remove the pockets off their rafstros, please PM me! I'm looking for spare pockets (read: zippers) because the zip on one of my pockets is broken and Raf said they can't help me find a replacement. Thanks!

10. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

True, but Im so turned off by the smell I think Im gonna wash them and just do the lower legs, shoudln't be as overpowering then.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Man, that is severely unfortunate. If the hair dryer thing doesn't work out, it sounds like that's two types of wax to avoid.

I took a cheese grater to a cheap yellow-white candle over a pair of gray thrift store jeans the other day, then melted-in the wax somewhat with a cigarette lighter. It actually doesn't look that bad, though I've only done the hems, and won't wear them 'till I'm assured of the...safety stuff...involved.

12. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

i also ordered otter wax and waxed 3 pairs of jeans of my jeans with no problems. i also skipped the blow dryer step.

maybe you just suck at life?

you are right about the smell though. i had numerous people ask me why i smelled like pine-sol.

13. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

damn, I wanted to do this but.. pine-sol sigh

14. TonicAura

TonicAura Well-Known Member

Do you have any pics of the finished jeans?

Also, for the smell, have you let it sit for a while? Not quite the same, but since I haven't gotten around to waxing the whole jeans, I waxed a little part and after about 3-4 days the smell is only noticeable when I put my nose right up against them.

15. otc

otc Senior member

stenciled some snowflakes onto this thrifted womens cardigan
    [​IMG]
    paired it with black jazz santa
    [​IMG]

dominated the ugly sweater party