1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

*** The official and awesome DIY thread ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Apr 6, 2011.

1. bubba04

bubba04 Well-Known Member

@ steviecakes: I second that -- would love to see better (and more detailed) pics of those jeans. From that one pic it looks dope.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. steviecakes

steviecakes Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. The jeans are H&M. I'll post better/more detailed pictures soon.

[​IMG]
    This is a Levi's denim jacket. I cut the sleeves off and then tried dyeing black with Rit, but it just turned into a darker navy. So I applied a thin layer of DupliColor Vinyl & Fabric Coating that I had leftover from touching up some car upholstery. The results came out better than expected. Unfortunately it was too small for me to begin with. I guess I'll give it to my sister or one of my skinnier friends :embar:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

you might go to a fabric store and get a yard or two of muslin. about two bucks a yard. try your idea with the muslin, and make corrections instead of screwing up the lambskin. how do you plan to go about doing this? are you going to sew by hand or machine?

4. a tailor

many fabric stores have sewing classes. just bring a shirt and they will guide you.

5. a tailor

yes you can.
    open the yoke where the pleat enters it. turn the pleat inside out. you now have an inverted pleat. with a very long stitch sew the pleat closed. as you sew toward the waist, curve so as to make the waist smaller and then back out to make the butt larger. now press the pleat straight and flat neatly. both inside and outside. now the long stitches are temporary, sew in the waist area about 3 inches of permanent stitches. now do the same at the top of the pleat but about 1.5 inches. now remove the long temp stitches. tuck the pleat back in the yoke and stitch down.

6. effang

effang Well-Known Member

I like the momotaro going to battle white stripes. What would i need to replicate these on other items?

7. tomorrowstars

tomorrowstars Well-Known Member

Bumping this. Here's one I did a while ago. I've since bleached the whole thing and am thinking about painting it black.

[​IMG]

8. artishard116

artishard116 Well-Known Member

tried the diy wax thing on a pair of faded drkshdw i had laying around. looking pretty good so far, not quite dry yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

just wear it like that. Looks good

10. tomorrowstars

The colours just didn't work for me, so it's all bleached white now. I'm experimenting with some paint mixes to do all of the outside and leaving the inside (probably including the inside of collar) white. We'll see what happens.

[​IMG]

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Nice. But how do you guys get the bleach smell to go away? I soaked some jeans way back when Synthese posted his APCs, and while I got the color right, I'm almost afraid to put them on, they smell so strongly of chemicals. :uhoh:

(Six or seven washes, still no sign of letting up).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  12. tomorrowstars

I found hanging them up outside did more good for the smell than washing.

EDIT: Google says vinegar. I might just try it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

lots of hot washes, lots of hanging. it takes a while.

15. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

vinegar would make sense against the bleach, being acid and all that.

16. tomorrowstars

Decided to try this out on some jeans I don't wear first. Started off with this wash. Now:
    [​IMG]

Edit: One shot in the last sliver of sunlight left today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  17. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Well-Known Member

Hey does anyone know of a good way to try and turn the copper rivets on a pair of jeans black and not sloppy with tons of paint etc. (specifics would be most helpful) Need some good advice because I want this pair of samurai's black but want the rivets black like on the black knight edition Please help :)

18. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Well-Known Member

multiple coats of black sharpie? Burn it with a lighter? Sandpaper? All three?

19. theom-

theom- Well-Known Member

Painted German Army Trainers

Obviously this is pretty easy, and not very hard to figure out, but this is how I did it. I just had some year old beat to shit sneakers that I wanted to give new life since I am going to get a new pair of the originals anyways.

Washing the shoes. This removes all of the oils, dirt, shit or whatever that is on the leather and will keep the paint from adhering properly.

[​IMG]

Drying the shoes. This can be done outside with a hair dryer or inside a clothes dryer if you have a special attachment.

[​IMG]

Once they are dry it is a good time to fix any detached parts of the sole with some shoe goo.

Painting prep. Once the glue is dry go ahead and use some sandpaper all over the shoes. Don't worry about ruining the leather; you probably won't and you are going to paint them anyway.

[​IMG]

Mix your paints. I would not recommend using anything but acrylic to paint. I mixed maybe an 1/8 cup of water with a generous amount of paint and a little squirt of white. If I were to do this again I would add a little more water.

[​IMG]

Painting. Pretty self explanatory, just go crazy and experiment. I used a gesso brush for this part, but you could use one of those cheap foam brushes as well. I would not recommend using anything smaller and a 3/4" brush. If you want to do a second coat, always let the first one dry completely. Make sure you get out any globs of paint while the paint is still wet

[​IMG]

That's pretty much it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.