• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The Alden for BB medallion cap toe blucher, tassels, full strap, and LHS are all built on the same lasts as the stock Alden models. Such is not the case with the Alden for BB PTB, Wingtip bal, perf cap toe bal, and straight tip bal.
[Edit: Sorry for the redundancy; I didn't read ahead before posting.]

Last edited:

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own, or have owned, every Alden for BB model currently offered by BB. This information on lasts is correct.

My unlined LHS has the same sole as my lined LHS - but perhaps I am misunderstanding you.
No misunderstanding, I wrote the wrong thing. In my mind I was thinking it is a tougher break-in(full disclosure I only own the unlined) and therefore I was thinking the unlined had a different sole. Thanks for correcting me, Ill be sure to edit my original so as not confuse.

100 yrs

Reaction score
Harrison's limited has an unlined cxl chukka on barrie that I've never noticed before. I have the ptb version.

http://www.harrisonlimited.com/harrison_footwear/alden-chukka-boot-in-dark-brown-chromexcel/

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good luck on your grail quest. I thought there was a batch of shell Indys at Alden Madison a few months back. Not sure if it included cigars or if it was even Madison now that I think of it.

I like the Plaza for boots, but am not convinced that it does well for shoes. I definitely dig the Plaza for pairing with charcoal pants and maybe a suit if I'm feeling bold. Still unsure whether I can wear the plaza wt boots confidently with jeans; the moc toe imho would work more easily with jeans. My issue with the medallion plaza bluchers, including the ravello (which I just recently passed up), might mainly be with the 6 eyelets.

Will you guys think less of me if I pick up a Barrie king wt boot in addition to my plaza? Because such is the way of the Alden...

I have 2 pair of shoes on the Plaza last, #8 monks and cigar PTB with 6 eyelets, and they are 2 of my favorites during the week with dress slacks and/or jacket.

I had a pair of plaza PT boots and ended up selling them as I couldn't get comfortable with wearing them casually.....hopefully the SF member that now has them is enjoying them!

Similar to you Doc, they seemed to dressy for me when I tried to pair them with chinos or jeans.....strange because the look so good when others post their pics on this thread.

Everybody has their own preferences......for me a lot of it is trial and error with finding what works for the individual with their style.....I have bought a number of make ups that I thought I would love but the just didn't feel right with what I tried to wear them on a day-to-day basis.

It really comes down to this - personal style.

Plaza is easily my favorite last for boots (and I also own, or have owned, Alden boots on Barrie, TruB, Aberdeen, and Grant). I have Plaza boots in WT, NST, plain toe, and captoe. The first three are 360 welt and commando. The captoe is 270 welt and double leather. Of the four, I consider the captoe the dressiest. I wear them all in casual and business casual settings.

Plaza is not my favorite last for shoes, but I do not dislike it for shoes.

Vicious49

Reaction score

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harrison's limited has an unlined cxl chukka on barrie that I've never noticed before. I have the ptb version. http://www.harrisonlimited.com/harrison_footwear/alden-chukka-boot-in-dark-brown-chromexcel/
Nice! It might just be me but I find the variations in leather like that much more appealing than any shell. I would get these if I didn't already have the CXL Dovers.
That CXL boot is nice. But those are fightin' words on this thread. :D

Reaction score
I wanted some smart knock about boots, my feet are 26cm a UK7 "Tru Balance" last is perfect. I normally wear a UK8 to fit my wide feet.

The most comfortable boots I have worn.
Also the sole is larger than any UK8 I own. But inside is 26 cm.

I'm going for try out Viberg for my next pair.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ what model boot is this, and which retailer sells it?

kurckrec

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any retailers offering a Snuff PT boot? I really like Context's Snuff Roy Boot but not thrilled about waiting till Sept for it. Also, how durable is Alden suede? I've got different models in shell and CXL and know how well those hold up but haven't owned any suede before.

Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score
highly wearable without a doubt. the un-indy, un-split toe boot in king can be dressed up or down well. i find that it looks less pointy and more versatile than its #8 wingtip boot brother on the plaza, which seems to be a bit more pointy and dainty looking because of the ornamentation and curves of the wings. (I sometimes wish I had taken the barrie wt boot in 8 rather than the plaza).

i think we need to get on Kathy to create a frans boone-esque makeup in cigar and in ravello so we can cover the three important shell bases. not sure i'd want a whiskey model.
Of all the cordovan colors, the Indy or the fransboone Indy-esque boot looks best in whiskey. Whiskey should be the first color such a boot is made in. As bitchin' as your Color 8's are - and they are bitchin' - those boots in whiskey are incredible.

Last edited:

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to the awesome weather this winter, I’ve been bagging my shoes are carrying them in to work. For some reason, I’ve been reaching for my #8PTBs once a week. Wearing these so often has reminded me why these were the first Aldens that I wanted from Day 1.

Here they are, dirtied from a walk at lunch, where the rain came down and the slushy puddles are still abound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics