• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking about trying Tremont in 9.5E, I wear Barrie 9.5E and have Tremont and Grant shoes and boots in 10E. Thoughts on sizing down in those lasts? I think it is half and half.

Speaking if E widths and sizing questions, I've got another one for everyone. I'm starting to think that I should be a 10E on the Barrie. While my 10D LWBs fit, I feel they'd be a bit more comfortable a bit wider.

With that in mind, I know most people here recommend going a half size up for Barrie boots. Is it an issue of length, or would a wider boot work as well? Thanks.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Speaking of whiskey shortwings

Whiskey Shortwings (10E) from Alden DC
Barbour Liddesdale Coat
J Crew Ludlow Suit (these are maligned but I like the fit and the fact I can get two pair of pants with the suit)
Polo Ralph Lauren tie with Labs

These are the exact shoes.

Re fitting of Tremont: I can see same size as Barrie working for some. I would be careful, however, it is a lower profile and sizing is a three dimensional affair.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For plaza last anybody take same size as Barrie? My SF Plaza boots feel a bit tight before even lacing but feel they could possibly work once they are broken in. Barrie fits me a little long but width is good.

For me:

Barrie: 9D
Plaza Shoes: 9D
Plaza Boots: 9.5D

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking about trying Tremont in 9.5E, I wear Barrie 9.5E and have Tremont and Grant shoes and boots in 10E. Thoughts on sizing down in those lasts? I think it is half and half.

I wear the same size in Barrie and Tremont.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been wondering...
If there is a shortage of the more rare color (lighter) Horween shell cordovan leather for Alden and the likes of AE, then why do companies like Rancourt and Carmina seem to have no problem supplying shoes with the base shell coming from Horween?
Is this simply because neither of them needs the quantites that Alden and AE might need?
Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
If there is a shortage of the more rare color (lighter) Horween shell cordovan leather for Alden and the likes of AE, then why do companies like Rancourt and Carmina seem to have no problem supplying shoes with the base shell coming from Horween?
Is this simply because neither of them needs the quantites that Alden and AE might need?
Very good question and probably something we have all wondered. I believe only Horween has the answer to that.

violethour1951

Reaction score
Alden applies their own finishing to the cordovan leathers they use. It may be that they are very particular about the cordovan they are willing to work with, especially the lighter ones.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should probably wear a 9.5D in barrie but it can be very snug (9.5D LWBs and chukkas work pretty well) so I go with 10D and enjoy a little bit of extra room.  The plaza in 10D is an absolute perfect fit for me; not snug and little to no extra room.  Not sure about the leydon last.

Much appreciated RTP. Unfortunately what his means is that these are likely 1/2 to a full-size too long for me. It was worth a shot as these are really nice boots. Probably for the best as I'm on the Leffot pre-order list for a similar boot with antique edging.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems Alden's the prettiest girl at the ball. They can afford to do what they want. They have high demand and don't have to go out of their way to please a few shoe freaks w rare shell.
Carmina needs to do more to break into more markets.
I have taken advantage of carmina's willingness to work w ruby, green shell, double monks, and python.
I wish I would have found alden 10 years ago during their mto glory days.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Speaking of whiskey shortwings Whiskey Shortwings (10E) from Alden DC Barbour Liddesdale Coat J Crew Ludlow Suit (these are maligned but I like the fit and the fact I can get two pair of pants with the suit) Polo Ralph Lauren tie with Labs
Great combo. That tie's speaking to me.
New ravellos today!
Awesome shoes. Congrats.

totalair1

Reaction score
Very good question and probably something we have all wondered. I believe only Horween has the answer to that.

Alden applies their own finishing to the cordovan leathers they use. It may be that they are very particular about the cordovan they are willing to work with, especially the lighter ones.
Rancourt also dyes their shell themselves. I think the statement about the cordovan that Alden is willing to work with in lighter colors is also a good point. Darker colors is a little easier to cover up small flaws in the hide. I also think lighter shell cordovan is much more difficult to apply the color evenly. IMHO that's why we such a variance in recent Alden colors such as Ravello being darker. I also think companies such as Rancourt are much smaller than Alden are able to handle demand a little easier. However...Rancourt production has fallen back to about 6-8 weeks now compared to 2-3 weeks earlier this year. I currently have 2 pairs of Rancourt shell in Caramel and Espresso. Only way I could find a casual shell penny loafer in my size in colors other than #8 and black which I have too in Aldens. I like Rancourt shoes a lot, they are not Aldens but certainly fill a niche for me.

See Ya,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads