• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you guys treating your suede with anything when they're new?

Edit: I've heard good things about the Allen Edmonds protector but Ed at Shoe Mart said there's no need. Just wondering IF I need to treat them out of the box, and if so, will it affect the softness of the suede.

Definitely treat suede with stain & water protector. Otherwise, even water droplets from handwashing or rain can cause permanent stains. The only product I've used is AE's suede spray and it works like a champ.

Not sure I'd try this but it is solid evidence for treating suede.

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

#4 + Black Shell Saddles by LS at work today

Great looking saddles.

Hill

Reaction score
Definitely treat suede with stain & water protector. Otherwise, even water droplets from handwashing or rain can cause permanent stains. The only product I've used is AE's suede spray and it works like a champ.

Not sure I'd try this but it is solid evidence for treating suede.

Thank you. Those results are impressive.

gsgleason

Reaction score
Does anybody have a photo of a captoe oxford on the aberdeen last, plaza last, and modified last?

My old captoes on aberdeen in whiskey shell -- I don't have them anymore (sold to an alden aficianado on SF). Probably the best shell pair I had.

FYI, alden does not make balmorals on the modified last. Bluchers only.

Yes, I know this is an old post, but I'm curious as to whether these images have been enhanced at all.

I'm considering some Whiskey shell on ebay, but the color looks much more muted, like a pale, flat tan unlike this rich hue seen here.

Last edited:

stanford88

Reaction score

Yes, I know this is an old post, but I'm curious as to whether these images have been enhanced at all.

I'm considering some Whiskey shell on ebay, but the color looks much more muted, like a pale, flat tan unlike this rich hue seen here.

I'm wearing a pair of whiskey shell; I see similar colors, and the photos don't look enhanced.

Resistant

Reaction score
Quote:
Never have. You may need to brush spots off (suede brush) the shoe from being against the other shoe in the box. The biggest risk of spraying is a change in color or cheap product that sits on top of the fiber. I have not seen that issue since the 80's and there is no telling what my neighbor sprayed on those.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First shell purchase! Thanks to all for the inspiration.

Nice. Who sells that makeup?

Jereth, congrats on your first shell. Hope you know what lies ahead for you!

Gsgleason, if that's #8 and not black (can't tell), it looks like the J.Crew pct boot. Great boot. It's as sleek as a Barrie last can get. Narrow flat welt and close heel.

gsgleason

Reaction score
Will shell stretch a bit with time? I'm between a 8.5 and a 9 on the Braddock and currently wear a 9D in Barrie. I tried on an 8.5 and had no issues getting my foot in with thick socks, but there was a bit of toe cramp, but not enough to make it uncomfortable. Will shell cordovan stretch a bit after many wears?

If you had said that they were a little tight over the top of your foot, I might have told you to stick with it.  

But small in the dimension that makes your toes cramped... ABORT!

Maybe what you really need is a 9C instead of a 9D, which is not easy to find in non-catalog models.

I absolutely agree. If it's snug over the top or on the sides, that's fine, but any toe cramp whatsoever is cause for an immediate abort.

gsgleason

Reaction score
What do those look like in real light? The pictures from Epaulet are a lot less... attractive.
I purchased a pair that unfortunately do not fit me, so I had to return them. Here's a pic I snagged with direct, natural light. The photo is taken with an iphone 5 and has been slightly edited, however, it does not affect the tone. The look a tad darker/richer in person than they do online. I absolutely love the contrast of the shoes. Plus, Epaulet is the only retailer that I know of that offers it in a "sleek" Leydon last. (Let me know if you know anyone else that does! I can't find my size anywhere.)
Thanks for the pictures. I like it and want to try it but Epaulet doesn't issue refunds, so I'm a little apprehensive since I've never tried that last.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RTP: An awful lot if the reviews i read on the discontinued amoks complained about the shoe squeaking. ae's stock response was that this was caused by the interface of oiled leather sole and suede . i would guess the new vibrams are intended as a fix but i agree i dont like the makeup as much

I tried the AE Amoks last year, which I was able to get for $100 for firsts through the AE shoebank. I too experienced some squeaking, though I think this issue was addressed at some point. So, hopefully those who ordered them get a pair that doesn't squeak. I also found that I needed to size up a half size from my 5 last size, and even then they were snug. They're unlined, so a little snug is probably okay. Finally, the suede didn't feel quite as...supple? (not sure of the right word) as the suede on my Nuemoks. I'm not trying to make people regret ordering them, and there is indeed a huge price difference between them and the Alden version.

Last edited:

Hill

Reaction score

Never have. You may need to brush spots off (suede brush) the shoe from being against the other shoe in the box. The biggest risk of spraying is a change in color or cheap product that sits on top of the fiber. I have not seen that issue since the 80's and there is no telling what my neighbor sprayed on those.

Thank you.

neutrino

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. I like it and want to try it but Epaulet doesn't issue refunds, so I'm a little apprehensive since I've never tried that last.
As stated in Mike's signature: 14-day refund return policy for all Styleforum members.

digga

Reaction score
I tried the AE Amoks last year, which I was able to get for $100 for firsts through the AE shoebank. I too experienced some squeaking, though I think this issue was addressed at some point. So, hopefully those who ordered them get a pair that doesn't squeak. I also found that I needed to size up a half size from my 5 last size, and even then they were snug. They're unlined, so a little snug is probably okay. Finally, the suede didn't feel quite as...supple? (not sure of the right word) as the suede on my Nuemoks. I'm not trying to make people regret ordering them, and there is indeed a huge price difference between them and the Alden version.

Off topic, but I had a pair of squeaky AE's and their customer service had no problem replacing them. Just mention this in an online review and they will surely contact you about it. Might run into trouble if they no longer build the shoe, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many report that unlined suede and unlined shell fit looser than their lined counterparts in the same size. That seems to make sense.

But my expereience has been just the opposite, as my unlined shell ptb's and unlined suede ptb's (all on barrie) are actually more snug than their lined counterparts. Go figure .........

After receiving a black unlined cordovan PTB in 9.5E, I must say I agree. Though the snugness is not enough to make me have to size up. In addition, in this particular model, the snugness is a good thing... Overall, the shoe looks smaller and more sleek than its lined PTB cousins, which is great for a black PTB in my opinion

I do have one alternative theory - maybe it is the dover pattern that makes these unlined PTBs snugger than lined PTBs rather than the unlined attribute of the shoe. I say this because my cigar PTB on crepe (which are on the dover pattern but also lined) also seem to fit narrower than similar barrie shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads