• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

violethour1951

Reaction score
LHS in whiskey or ravello.

My van size = my barrie size minus one width.
+1. I think many LHS owners may not have considered sizing down one width from their Barrie size, but it can work very well for the Van last. 8.5D Barrie, 8.5C Van for me.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score
i literally just wear a 7.5D in every last except the Plaza, in which i wear an 8D, and i've never had a problem with any of my shoes. barrie, van, grant, copley, hampton.

htimsdj

Reaction score
+1. I think many LHS owners may not have considered sizing down one width from their Barrie size, but it can work very well for the Van last. 8.5D Barrie, 8.5C Van for me.

I am quite surprised to hear this. I wear the LHS in 10D and the 990 in 10C. But, I have narrow heels and, at least on the right foot, a high instep. I need the 10C in Barrie to avoid heel slip, and the 10D in Van to have room for the instep. Maybe I just have funny looking feet!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden NatCXL Indys + Snapseed.

Last edited:

CTYGGG

Reaction score

One caveat to add, if you have a high instep as I do, I have size up one width to an E. If I didn't do this the strap on the LHS would kill the top on my feet. Just my experience with the LHS.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on what would be a good Alden loafer for the summer? I'm considering the LHS in either cigar or whiskey. I wear an 11D in the Barrie last. What would be the appropriate size in the van last? Thanks

I'm an 11 D in the barrie. An 11 D LHS had way too much heel slip. An 11 C reduces the slip. I'm not sure that that's the right size (I don't own an LHS yet), but I think it is. I really like the LHS in cigar, ravello, and whiskey.

LHS in whiskey or ravello.

My van size = my barrie size minus one width.

I concur with all of the above, I actually go down a width for both Barrie and Van, however, it may be very difficult to find Ravello, Cigar, or Whiskey LHS in a C width. If you end up settling (if you can call it that) for Black or #8, I encourage you to check out the unlined LHS exclusive to BB. Very comfortable! I heard that once upon a time the Madison BB offered an Unlined Whiskey LHS, which would have been great for you.

Good Luck! Don't forget to post pics!

speekez

Reaction score

My girls, back from restoration, it's a whole new shoe, gents. Forgot how heavy and substantial they are, i'd worn them to the nub before, and they felt much lighter. Was considering having the resole done locally, a la Don Ville on La Brea, but I'm glad I went with Alden's program. I was wondering if they'd replace the cork footbed, and they definitely do.

And those cedar trees they give you are the business. jah bless

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My girls, back from restoration, it's a whole new shoe, gents. Forgot how heavy and substantial they are, i'd worn them to the nub before, and they felt much lighter. Was considering having the resole done locally, a la Don Ville on La Brea, but I'm glad I went with Alden's program. I was wondering if they'd replace the cork footbed, and they definitely do. And those cedar trees they give you are the business. jah bless
Those boots look outstanding. The restoration program is one reason I'm definitely sticking with Alden.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My girls, back from restoration, it's a whole new shoe, gents. Forgot how heavy and substantial they are, i'd worn them to the nub before, and they felt much lighter. Was considering having the resole done locally, a la Don Ville on La Brea, but I'm glad I went with Alden's program. I was wondering if they'd replace the cork footbed, and they definitely do. And those cedar trees they give you are the business. jah bless
looks great, man. any before pics? also, what was the turn around time and cost? last i checked it was about $140

Last edited:

speekez

Reaction score

looks great, man. any before pics? also, what was the turn around time and cost? last i checked it was about $140
Thanks NAMOR, turnaround was 6 weeks (felt like eternity without these in my rotation), $140. I'll post better b4 pix. They'd gotten very light before I'd sent them in (I never use wax, only Reno). They had a ton of nicks and cuts, and a hole in the left sole.

I was tempted to ask Alden if they could avoid using any wax in the resoling, but I sortof wanted to get the whole experience. w/e, I'm sure the wax will strip off in due time. They are oxblood as all get out. Smell like turpentine too, it's nice.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of restoration.. I have some alden seconds that i picked up here on SF.. does Alden take issue with working on noted "seconds"? If so, B.Nelson would be the next choice (or first, haven't decided)

ubiquiti

Reaction score
speaking of restoration.. I have some alden seconds that i picked up here on SF.. does Alden take issue with working on noted "seconds"? If so, B.Nelson would be the next choice (or first, haven't decided)
I don't see why they would take issue with working on seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads