• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Getting ready for summer with my tan suede longwings (& Epaulet racing green canvas trousers).

Now that is an Easter combo. Props. :slayer:

ThomSquared

Reaction score

I saw an earlier post recommending Meltonian suede spray.  Any other recommendations for my navy PTBs?

Wondering this as well... Just got my navy suede's and am scared to death to mess them up. Any recommendations would be great.

closerlook

Reaction score

I've had no response, just wondering if any other owners of this shoe from LS had the same missed hole punch on both shoes?

I was told from LS that the whole batch came that way and they still sold it at regular price and not as irregular. They tried to remove it themselves, but couldn't and recommended to me to just fill it in with a felt marker.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep it or return it back to LS? Is this normal practice to sell a $475 shoe with this missed hole punch? This is my fourth pair of Alden in the past 6 weeks and am disappointed that a shoe of this level has this issue.

Quote:
honestly, aldens always have some quirk. yes, its disappointing. some pairs piss me off more than others. with this one, i think its not so bad. if the un-excised piece is already perforated, you can carefully use a safety pin on an angle to pierce it and then withdraw it. if its not perforated and their punch was poorly constructed (seems to be the case), you should sharpie it and forget it was ever like that. i just got a pair of quoddy from ls and the moc stitching on one of the shoes was poorly aligned such that the white underside of the suede was showing. i used alden brown wax to recolor the part and it looks fine.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2mw9ap.jpg

ravello lhs
argyles otc

halberdklown

Reaction score

They've sold out super fast...twice. I'm sure they will re-order them super soon so as Phi said shoot them an email and ask about a re-order and potential pre-order.

they won't have any more till mid 2013 (already asked)
There has to be some other place that stocks this!!

Amused

Reaction score
they won't have any more till mid 2013 (already asked)
There has to be some other place that stocks this!!

Not custom runs.

With this, you'll just have to be patient. I'm in the same boat...I love the CXL chukkas too. Hopefully next year...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had no response, just wondering if any other owners of this shoe from LS had the same missed hole punch on both shoes?

I was told from LS that the whole batch came that way and they still sold it at regular price and not as irregular. They tried to remove it themselves, but couldn't and recommended to me to just fill it in with a felt marker.

Any thoughts on this? Should I keep it or return it back to LS? Is this normal practice to sell a $475 shoe with this missed hole punch? This is my fourth pair of Alden in the past 6 weeks and am disappointed that a shoe of this level has this issue.

Quote:
honestly, aldens always have some quirk. yes, its disappointing. some pairs piss me off more than others. with this one, i think its not so bad. if the un-excised piece is already perforated, you can carefully use a safety pin on an angle to pierce it and then withdraw it. if its not perforated and their punch was poorly constructed (seems to be the case), you should sharpie it and forget it was ever like that. i just got a pair of quoddy from ls and the moc stitching on one of the shoes was poorly aligned such that the white underside of the suede was showing. i used alden brown wax to recolor the part and it looks fine.
I've got a pair of this same shoe style only in sand suede. The brown part isn't a hole that wasn't fully punched. It's the back edge of the facing which probably should have been trimmed another quarter of an inch or so. On my shoes, the color is almost the same and to be honest, I didn't notice it until today when I went looking for it.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering this as well... Just got my navy suede's and am scared to death to mess them up. Any recommendations would be great.

Nick from B Nelson suggested Meltonian. Alden customer service suggested Scotch Guard.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a suede flex-welt chukka -- but on the barrie last? I'm wary of the Leydon.

edit:

I realize J.crew has suede chukkas on the Barrie but I hate the crepe sole. I'm looking for a lighter suede, in sand / tan / camel range of colors. Snuff is as dark as I'd like to go for this shoe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads