• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kippy

Reaction score

Sound advice (and advice that I - and, I'm betting, Kippy - could have benefitted from years ago...)

My wallet gently weeps on account of my sizing mistakes. I'll see you at the Alden-aholics Anonymous meeting.

Amused

Reaction score
6878763588_d149260088.jpg

Brand new "Reject" #8 PTB.

What's the actual defect...right shoe missing most of its laces?

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worn my #8 LHS like 10 times and they still aren't broken in. My heel slips out when I walk because the double leather sole just won't crease. Had me pissed off all day. How do they realistically expect people to walk in these shoes? How many miles do I have to walk before they finally break in? Also, since the cork hasn't taken an impression of my foot yet, my heel is really high up in the shoe, causing the back of the shoe to not come high up enough on the back of my heel.

I also have the Brooks Brothers black cordovan hand sewn loafers, and while many insist they are the same shoe, rebranded, I am quite certain that they are not. I'll post pics once my camera charges, but the BBs didn't have any problems breaking in. Also, the tongue on the Aldens is stitched and it is not stitched on the BBs. Maybe at one time they were the same, but both of my pairs are less than a year old, and I'm pretty sure they are different. Also, i'm a 9.5D (TTS) in the BB and 9C in the Aldens.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You bought a pair of shoes that can last you 20 years and complain about them not being broken in by 10 wears? :foo:

closerlook

Reaction score

I have worn my #8 LHS like 10 times and they still aren't broken in.  My heel slips out when I walk because the double leather sole just won't crease.  Had me pissed off all day.  How do they realistically expect people to walk in these shoes?  How many miles do I have to walk before they finally break in?  Also, since the cork hasn't taken an impression of my foot yet, my heel is really high up in the shoe, causing the back of the shoe to not come high up enough on the back of my heel.

I also have the Brooks Brothers black cordovan hand sewn loafers, and while many insist they are the same shoe, rebranded, I am quite certain that they are not.  I'll post pics once my camera charges, but the BBs didn't have any problems breaking in.  Also, the tongue on the Aldens is stitched and it is not stitched on the BBs.  Maybe at one time they were the same, but both of my pairs are less than a year old, and I'm pretty sure they are different.  Also, i'm a 9.5D (TTS) in the BB and 9C in the Aldens.

the lhs has a single leather sole
its going to take more than ten wears to break them in, single or double. give it time. wear them at home.

the brooks brothers model is unlined, which is why it easily breaks in. that is also why many people size down one half size down from the lined version, which it self requires a half-size down because it is on the van last. both shoes are made on the same last.

Raybot

Reaction score
Well my J Crew Indy boots arrived today. A bit too big for me. I didn't do the half size down thing and it bit me. Oh well...the more and more I see the #8 and Cigar it's got me leaning that way.

Off for a refund in the morning and order a different boot.

ElDave

Reaction score

HorseHide

Reaction score

I have worn my #8 LHS like 10 times and they still aren't broken in.  My heel slips out when I walk because the double leather sole just won't crease.  Had me pissed off all day.  How do they realistically expect people to walk in these shoes?  How many miles do I have to walk before they finally break in?  Also, since the cork hasn't taken an impression of my foot yet, my heel is really high up in the shoe, causing the back of the shoe to not come high up enough on the back of my heel.

I also have the Brooks Brothers black cordovan hand sewn loafers, and while many insist they are the same shoe, rebranded, I am quite certain that they are not.  I'll post pics once my camera charges, but the BBs didn't have any problems breaking in.  Also, the tongue on the Aldens is stitched and it is not stitched on the BBs.  Maybe at one time they were the same, but both of my pairs are less than a year old, and I'm pretty sure they are different.  Also, i'm a 9.5D (TTS) in the BB and 9C in the Aldens.

This is really quite humorous - unintended, I'm sure. But humorous... We anxiously await your camera re-charge.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are those CXL cap toes from Alden NY? If so I may have to give them a call, those may be my ideal makeup...well, almost, if they were all eyelets they would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads