• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amftx

Reaction score
Just popped my alden cherry. Most uncomfortable shoe I've ever experienced out of the box.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amftx
Just popped my alden cherry. Most uncomfortable shoe I've ever experienced out of the box.

I had the exact opposite thoughts when I wore my first pair of Aldens. Much more comfort than any of my AE's. Are you sure you got the right size?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ElliottPapineau
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am observing a lot of products that are hanging on by a inserting a branded component into their design. Some recent examples: Oak Street Bootmakers, MAKR, Quoddy, etc. Take away the Horween leather and the products become much less desirable. Thoughts?

they also become less good

amftx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastor
I had the exact opposite thoughts when I wore my first pair of Aldens. Much more comfort than any of my AE's. Are you sure you got the right size?

Going by what I've read over the past several months, I'd say yes. I'm a US 9.5D in most shoes, so I sized down to a 9D for barrie. Unfortunately I don't have a local place where I can go and try on Aldens.

Overall the fit is pretty good. The toe box is perfect. The problem I have is where the front piece of leather meets the rear piece in the middle/waist of the boot. The shell is fairly thick and stiff. I can feel the edges of the inner/rear piece pinching and poking the sides of my feet. If I tie a little looser it's not as bad. There's a little heel slippage as well which is why I've tied them a little tight initially.

I've only had them out for one wearing, and I'm chalking it up to needing some break in time.

I'm new to fine leather soled shoes but understand they are less flexible than most shoes. My AEs are stfff as well but there are no inner seams or edges that can be felt inside the shoe.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am observing a lot of products that are hanging on by a inserting a branded component into their design. Some recent examples: Oak Street Bootmakers, MAKR, Quoddy, etc. Take away the Horween leather and the products become much less desirable. Thoughts?

Do you even know what Horween is?

ElliottPapineau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Do you even know what Horween is?

A leather manufacturer. What kind of question is that?

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really really like those!!!!

Thanks Pastor. I first saw these on LS's site and of course they were sold out. Was lucky enough to get these off of B&S.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amftx
Going by what I've read over the past several months, I'd say yes. I'm a US 9.5D in most shoes, so I sized down to a 9D for barrie. Unfortunately I don't have a local place where I can go and try on Aldens.

Overall the fit is pretty good. The toe box is perfect. The problem I have is where the front piece of leather meets the rear piece in the middle/waist of the boot. The shell is fairly thick and stiff. I can feel the edges of the inner/rear piece pinching and poking the sides of my feet. If I tie a little looser it's not as bad. There's a little heel slippage as well which is why I've tied them a little tight initially.

I've only had them out for one wearing, and I'm chalking it up to needing some break in time.

I'm new to fine leather soled shoes but understand they are less flexible than most shoes. My AEs are stfff as well but there are no inner seams or edges that can be felt inside the shoe.

In the Long Wings I bought on the Barrie last I sized down a whole size. I wear a 10 D in most AE shoes although in the longer last shoes ( like the 5 last Park Avenues) I wear 9.5 E. I first tried to wear a 9.5 D in Alden and it was just too big. I went and ordered a pair of 9 D to try them on side by side and the 9 D fit perfect.

I don't have anywhere within 2.5 hours of me that carries Aldens so I had to order online.

Pastor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Thanks Pastor. I first saw these on LS's site and of course they were sold out. Was lucky enough to get these off of B&S.

I think I read that Tom at LeatherSoul doesn't sell Ravello, Cigar, or Whiskey Aldens to people unless they come to the physical store. I bought Cigar LWB and Ravello Wingtip boots from the Shoe Mart.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for some more aldens in the B & S.

ElliottPapineau

Reaction score
In order to value a particular good, it is important to break it down into its components and processes. I believe Alden and Horween are the models for a lot of newer designers and manufactures strive for. I would like to keep this forum about discussing relevant issues and not revert to an elitist entry dominated slander site.

pebblegrain, please refrain from being any more "that guy" than you already are.

It is time to move on and get back to talking about some shoes.

Elliott

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Long Wings I bought on the Barrie last I sized down a whole size. I wear a 10 D in most AE shoes although in the longer last shoes ( like the 5 last Park Avenues) I wear 9.5 E. I first tried to wear a 9.5 D in Alden and it was just too big. I went and ordered a pair of 9 D to try them on side by side and the 9 D fit perfect.

I don't have anywhere within 2.5 hours of me that carries Aldens so I had to order online.

Much depends on the components; e.g., shell with a double leather sole will require more break-in than, say, suede with single waterlock soles or kudu with crepe.

mtc2000

Reaction score
A leather manufacturer. What kind of question is that?
Exactly. It seems Horween and their immediate customers (i.e. leather good manufacturers/retailers) are quite successful in marketing/utilizing the "Horween" brand name, especially in the US. Partially thanks to forums like this. Marketing informations (often facts but not necessarily) spread so quickly nowadays. And also the fact that "Horween" is American. That makes a big difference in today's consumer psychology. Substitute the "Horween" name with any of the other top quality tanner brands and imagine. Not good, especially in the US. Here are some names that I can think of. A few are quite well known, if not in the US, at least in Europe. Charles F Stead Ilcea Nuova Osba du Pay Galluser Rendenbach d'Annonay Shinkihikaku (these Japanese guys manufacture shell Cordovan!!!) Horween is not peerless. BTW, I think Alden does source calf/suede from some of these European tanners. Do they advertise the fact readily? Of course not. The Alden brand image is all "Made in the USA".

ElliottPapineau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtc2000
Exactly. It seems Horween and their immediate customers (i.e. leather good manufacturers/retailers) are quite successful in marketing/utilizing the "Horween" brand name, especially in the US. Partially thanks to forums like this. Marketing informations (often facts but not necessarily) spread so quickly nowadays. And also the fact that "Horween" is American. That makes a big difference in today's consumer psychology.

Substitute the "Horween" name with any of the other top quality tanner brands and imagine. Not good, especially in the US. Here are some names that I can think of. A few are quite well know, if not in the US, at least in Europe.

Charles F Stead
Ilcea
Nuova Osba
du Pay
Galluser
Rendenbach
d'Annonay
Shinkihikaku (these Japanese guys manufacture shell Cordovan!!!)

Horween is not peerless.

BTW, I think Alden does source calf/suede from some of these European tanners. Do they advertise the fact readily? Of course not. The Alden brand image is all "Made in the USA".

Thank you for the reply. I totally agree. Alden does source "the finest european calfskin".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads