• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velomane
Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated. One more question: how is the length of the 9D Aberdeen compared to the 9D Trubalance and Barrie? Would you say only marginally shorter? I ask because I am considering the 9D Aberdeen when I'm a 9C in Barrie.

Mike

I need to size up .5 when going from the Barrie to the Aberdeen to get a reasonable length. I can't help with length since I've never been able to find a comfortable fitting on the Aberdeen.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
12 pairs of Alden. 1 pair is black. (Black Indy)
May I ask, how much play do your black Indys get? I was thinking about getting 'em in black but am conflicted. I'm pretty big on cigar.

percy

Reaction score
a lot of people seem to wear or own the indy and i know it comes in a lot of varieties now, but what is the consensus on soles? what sole unit do people prefer best?

which is best for all round wear and which is regarded as most comfortable?

also, if you could put any sole on yours what would you choose?

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by percy
a lot of people seem to wear or own the indy and i know it comes in a lot of varieties now, but what is the consensus on soles? what sole unit do people prefer best?

I know I'm in the minority among fellow members of the forum - I really don't like the Indy boot. To my eye the least unattractive one is Leffot's cigar Indy on the commando sole.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also hate the Indy boot, I don't get it. to me it's just an expensive clunky boot. in shell it's better, but that's far from what I would do with $650, any of the Barrie or Plaza lasted boots are so much more versatile and better looking

I can't imagine wearing it with anything but jeans, which makes it...odd to me, especially if you often go to work in something other than jeans

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
for those that own standard issue, 2 eyelet Barrie last chukkas - how "locked in" do your feet feel? I feel like I am wearing the right size (shoe is snug all over, but not overly so) EXCEPT for the area above the laces. the extra material around the ankle just kind of floats there, and I can flex my ankle really far forward. it almost feels less secure than a blucher, even though I was expecting more of a true boot/bulletproof feel.

thoughts?

Both Barrie and Leydon chukkas feel that way to me.
I thought that was pretty much an attribute of 2 eyelet shoes.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks Zippy

I have only owned 1 other 2 eyelet chukka but it didn't feel quite that way...the eyelets went up much further though

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thor i also wear 7d in barrie i take a 7.5d in grant. i've also tried on a 7d in grant and its a bit too snug.

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I need to size up .5 when going from the Barrie to the Aberdeen to get a reasonable length. I can't help with length since I've never been able to find a comfortable fitting on the Aberdeen.

You really need to try on anything on the Aberdeen before plunking down considerable $ for shoes (a mistake I made). The heel is much looser than on the Barrie and while the toe box is tight, it is quite loose through the vamp.

I recently purchased a pair of NSTs on the Aberdeen last and they felt more or less fine at first, but as the shoe broke in, my feet began to slide all over the place. If you have to buy online, do yourself a favor and wear them on carpet only for a week before deciding whether to keep them.

I think all of us who love Alden have gotten spoiled by the Barrie and Trubalance lasts, which accomodate a wide variety of feet with the utmost comfort and style. The Aberdeen is nowhere near as forgiving.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't believe no one has posted Tom's #4 shell cordovan PTBs (not ravello)
4x4-1.jpg
4x4-3.jpg

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
You really need to try on anything on the Aberdeen before plunking down considerable $ for shoes (a mistake I made). The heel is much looser than on the Barrie and while the toe box is tight, it is quite loose through the vamp.

I recently purchased a pair of NSTs on the Aberdeen last and they felt more or less fine at first, but as the shoe broke in, my feet began to slide all over the place. If you have to buy online, do yourself a favor and wear them on carpet only for a week before deciding whether to keep them.

I think all of us who love Alden have gotten spoiled by the Barrie and Trubalance lasts, which accomodate a wide variety of feet with the utmost comfort and style. The Aberdeen is nowhere near as forgiving.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Out of curiosity, what size do you wear in Barrie and Trubalance lasted shoes?

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by velomane
Thanks for taking the time to write that. Out of curiosity, what size do you wear in Barrie and Trubalance lasted shoes?

I wear a 11D in Barrie and Trubalance. I purchased and 11.5D Aberdeen, and lengthwise it is fine, but it is so wide in the heel that it does not grip my foot (and my heel feels as though it could slide right out of the shoe at any time). I may be forced to sell the shoes at a loss.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by percy

I agree with what people have said about the Indy boot being most appropriate with jeans. It does look rather utilitarian, and as such I find the commando sole the perfect match for it (i.e. any of the LS Ultimate Indy's). My cigar Indy's get the most wear almost strictly for the versatility of the commando sole; that and I wear jeans seven days a week.

On an unrelated note, I experimented with the durability of cordovan in the rain after getting caught in a downpour last week. I tried wiping off the drops by rubbing my foot against my pant leg (jeans, of course) as soon as I got under cover but despite my best efforts "welps" formed where they had gotten wet. I had some cotton balls handy in the office and rubbed vigorously while the leather was still slightly damp, successfully getting rid of most of the welps. When I got home, a wipe with a damp cloth followed up with the horsehair brush took care of the rest.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
May I ask, how much play do your black Indys get? I was thinking about getting 'em in black but am conflicted. I'm pretty big on cigar.

I wear the black Indies at least twice a week. I really love them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads