• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
4gq4bt.jpg

ravello nst monks
argyles otc

marg

Reaction score
That means it fits. If you go smaller you run the risk of throwing everything else off balance. You should have more room in the boot toe area versus a dress shoe to allow for air flow. Mine fit the same way you describe and I was paranoid about it too at first because I wasn't used to the extra toe room. In a few weeks you won't even notice.

gasoline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gasoline
Sorry to peeve anyone if this has been asked a billion times, tried searching with limited success... What's a good rule of thumb when sizing the Indy boot when it comes to toe room (length-wise)? I'm pretty comfortable all the way through the boot except I'm wondering if I have too much room in the length. Standing up, when I pinch my biggest toe it lines-up exactly with the outside threading (the outside rim of threading on the toe). This leaves about 1/2-3/4" of room between the end of my longest toe and the front of the boot. Thanks!
Originally Posted by marg
That means it fits. If you go smaller you run the risk of throwing everything else off balance. You should have more room in the boot toe area versus a dress shoe to allow for air flow. Mine fit the same way you describe and I was paranoid about it too at first because I wasn't used to the extra toe room. In a few weeks you won't even notice.

Thanks marg, just being neurotic about it I guess. Did you consider 1/2 sizing down and going wide though? Wondering if that would be a better a fit.

marg

Reaction score
Thanks marg, just being neurotic about it I guess.
Did you consider 1/2 sizing down and going wide though? Wondering if that would be a better a fit.

i thought about it, but my fit was confirmed at an alden dealer. i was just as neurotic when i bought my boots as they were $100 over any other shoe i had at that time, and i got them online. aldens supposedly have more toe room than other brands, hence all the long lasts. these are technically orthopedic shoes after all.

also, keep in mind that when you go wider, the heel will be wider as well. this doesn't work for all lasts (like the barrie) as some have wider heels than others. the trubalance last is designed to keep your heel in place, and it does a good job of it in my shoes despite the extra toe room. i wear the indys 1-2x a week, and i love them.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Sorry to peeve anyone if this has been asked a billion times, tried searching with limited success... What's a good rule of thumb when sizing the Indy boot when it comes to toe room (length-wise)? I'm pretty comfortable all the way through the boot except I'm wondering if I have too much room in the length. Standing up, when I pinch my biggest toe it lines-up exactly with the outside threading (the outside rim of threading on the toe). This leaves about 1/2-3/4" of room between the end of my longest toe and the front of the boot. Thanks!
For me, the two most important components of the fit are, 1.) the widest part of my foot lines up with the widest part of the shoe/boot, and 2.) that my heel fits snugly but is not too tight. If the heel is too loose or too tight then it doesn't matter where your toes end up. Assuming that your toes are not crushed, consider those aspects of the fit and if they fit right, then usually the toes will be fine. I have a trubalance Indy and while that last is supposed to be roomy in the toe box, I don't notice because the heel and width fits are correct.

gasoline

Reaction score
also, keep in mind that when you go wider, the heel will be wider as well. this doesn't work for all lasts (like the barrie) as some have wider heels than others. the trubalance last is designed to keep your heel in place, and it does a good job of it in my shoes despite the extra toe room. i wear the indys 1-2x a week, and i love them.

That's what I figured as well but if you size down 1/2 then wouldn't the heel also size down with it, since the EE heel is slightly wider on the Trubalance then it would kinda even out?

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr chorizo
these arrived recently
smile.gif
thanks unionmade!
photo-3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Denim?

I just had some chorizo this morning BTW-- amazing. NO ****

vivalet

Reaction score
Does this mean you think someone who wears a 11.5 in the barrie 9901 should get a 12 barrie boot?

marg

Reaction score
no, the barrie is just as wide as the trubalance, or if your foot is shaped similar to mine, the barrie fits roomier than the trubalance. as probably has been stated ~300+ times in this thread, barrie and trubalance size similarly.

vivalet

Reaction score
I understand that. It seemed like you said that you would size up from a 11.5 barrie dress shoe to a 12 barrie boot for more breathing room. Which I have never read before. Did I misunderstand?

no, the barrie is just as wide as the trubalance, or if your foot is shaped similar to mine, the barrie fits roomier than the trubalance. as probably has been stated ~300+ times in this thread, barrie and trubalance size similarly.

beowolf

Reaction score
I am looking for a good Alden shoe to wear with a navy and glen plaid suit. Any recommendations?

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Ravello longwing would be my ideal choice if you can get your hands on it. A #8 longwing would work well and be easier to find.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Barrie is NOT as wide as the Trubalance in the forefoot. In the heel, the Barrie is wider. I have wide feet. I take a 10D Trubalance perfectly, but need a 10E or 10.5D in Barrie. They size similarly, but definitely not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics