***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

FYI

Broken in, shined up cordovan loafers worn sockless are some of the best things you can wear in the spring/summer. The ravello tassels got many compliments last night

I continue to believe there aren't enough loafers (cordovan and suede) posted in this thread... They are great

Totally agreed. I have yet to own a pair, but I love the look of Alden tassels. I dont know how much wear they would get up here in Seattle but I thought the blue suede pair Unionmade came up with were freaking amazing. I'm scared to get any pair tassles because then I would "need" to get like 4 different make-ups.

2. fredmull

fredmull Well-Known Member

Yeah, I just went with Ds. I think the width should be alright. I'll post my impressions on the sizing when I get them. Thanks for all the help lads.

I'm not on here constantly, so just saw this. RW's are all over the map w/sizing, but I think you made the right choice. I have a pair of Iron Rangers sz 10 D that are WAY big, esp. in toe-box area. My Gentleman Traveler's are 9.5 D and WAY big in the toe also. I have Indy's in 9.5 E and they are somewhat big in the toe area, but with wool socks, or inserts they are great. Also, regarding comfort, there is no debate. The Aldens are much more comfortable.

I have a pair of Alden x Context Roy's coming in 9.5 D that I will post photos of when they arrive. Damn you shipping #! I can only hit refresh so many times in one day!

3. sazon

sazon Senior member

Almost 24 hours without a bump. This thread needed one...
    #8 NST from J. Gilbert (Plaza)
    [​IMG]

4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

FYI

Broken in, shined up cordovan loafers worn sockless are some of the best things you can wear in the spring/summer. The ravello tassels got many compliments last night

I continue to believe there aren't enough loafers (cordovan and suede) posted in this thread... They are great

how do you keep yours from getting a little...dank? say unlined shell loafers, worn without socks. does this reduce the life of the shoe?

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

how do you keep yours from getting a little...dank? say unlined shell loafers, worn without socks. does this reduce the life of the shoe?

I've worn leather loafers without socks over the years. I think the precautions you are supposed to always take with shoes (don't wear two days in a row, use shoe trees) are extra important when wearing sockless. Also, sprinkle some Gold Bond in the shoe before wearing (this goes for pretty much all leather shoes sockless); this makes them very comfortable. Done properly I don't think they decrease the life of the shoes (especially these well built cordovan shoes). You shouldn't be running marathons or anything while going sockless, plus I don't know if I would wear them in 95 F high humidity conditions, but anything else seems fine.

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Almost 24 hours without a bump. This thread needed one...
    #8 NST from J. Gilbert (Plaza)
    [​IMG]

good looking !

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello chukkas
    argyles otc

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thank you Uncle.

Love those Ravello chukkas. Wish that form fit my foot!

9. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

A. "What the hell are you doing wearing your shoes in the house?" or B. "Dang, honey. You look sharp. Take me now."

A....

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Bought Alden Captoe Boots #8 on the GRANT last, in size 11D, where i usually wear Size 10D in BARRIE.... they're about half a size big, should I keep or sell? I've got the up here (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=252227) if anyone is interested as they don't fit perfectly, but i'm tossing up between whether or not i should keep, as the boot breaks in, there will be less slippage... what do u guys think?

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Bought Alden Captoe Boots #8 on the GRANT last, in size 11D, where i usually wear Size 10D in BARRIE.... they're about half a size big, should I keep or sell? I've got the up here (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=252227) if anyone is interested as they don't fit perfectly, but i'm tossing up between whether or not i should keep, as the boot breaks in, there will be less slippage... what do u guys think?
    I believe most guys only wear a half size up from Barrie to Grant. I'd sell them.

12. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

13. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

#8 NST from J. Gilbert (Plaza) [​IMG]
    Shoes like these increase my desire for a tanker. Very nice.

14. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.