Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I was advised to half size up from my Trubalance size for the Leydon and Plaza lasts.

That seems reasonable. From my experience dropping down .5 from my Plaza size in the Trubalance results in a shoe that is roughly the same length, and somewhat wider. If your foot a fairly narrow like mine, you'd probably want to drop .5 and a width, since the Trubalance is one of Alden's wider lasts.

2. ChessDan

ChessDan Active Member

Ok will just skip the sale then. Don't want to spend 230 bucks on shoes that might not fit that I can't return.

3. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

That seems reasonable. From my experience dropping down .5 from my Plaza size in the Trubalance results in a shoe that is roughly the same length, and somewhat wider. If your foot a fairly narrow like mine, you'd probably want to drop .5 and a width, since the Trubalance is one of Alden's wider lasts.

I'm hoping that the Leydon last is slightly wider than the Plaza last because my foot really does appreciate the wider toebox of the Trubalance last. If not, there may be a pair on B&S soon.

For reference:

[​IMG]

4. MrClassic

MrClassic Member

Great reference guide.

Quick repair question; does Alden replace the stitching on the 405's Moc Toe if it's frayed during refurbishing?

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG] thanks to sf member reguy for creating this awesome guide

6. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

leydon and plaza need to be swapped. Leydon is narrower in the toe box

I'm not sure that's true. From my experience, the Leydon last runs a little bit shorter than the Plaza, but for me, the Plaza last has been the narrowest in the toe box of all of the Alden lasts that I've tried.

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Great reference guide.

Quick repair question; does Alden replace the stitching on the 405's Moc Toe if it's frayed during refurbishing?

I don't think they do - I had a pair of 405s I sent in for resoling about three months ago that didn't have the stitching replaced.

9. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

Is anyone placing a reservation for any of the June Leather Soul pre-orders? I am looking at the unlined PTB in #8 - a shoe I have wanted for a long time. Though, I just purchased Ravello LWB from Alden SF... Curious if any one has any thoughts, pictures or comments on the shoe. Thanks!

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...011/#more-4340

10. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

My new Ravello LWB from Alden San Francisco:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

12. JonF

JonF Senior member

13. JonF

JonF Senior member

Norwegian Split Toe, Chromexcel, Barrie, ShoeMart. They were in natural originally -- did not like -- dyed 'em black.

Beautiful job!

14. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I'm not sure that's true. From my experience, the Leydon last runs a little bit shorter than the Plaza, but for me, the Plaza last has been the narrowest in the toe box of all of the Alden lasts that I've tried.

If there is anything that needs to be moved on the chart, it is the Hampton last. IMO, it is the middle of the road of Alden lasts. TTS in both length and width. The Aberdeen, Plaza, and Copley are the most narrow in the toe box. While the Leydon is narrow in the toe box compared to the bigger Alden lasts, it isn't as narrow in the toebox than the Plaza. That's my .02.

15. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I think the chart is great and directionally correct. There are a number of different measurements that he could have chosen in developing it and he chose toe shape, not toe width. I happen to agree with that choice - for me the width of the Plaza last is secondary to the shape of the toe box. In contrasting the Plaza last with their other lasts it is a bit "out-of-box" (pun intended) and IMO it works well on some of the time. My $.02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.