1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

no one??

2. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Have you checked with LeatherSoul? They may have #8 longwings in stock.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Or try Sherman Brothers: http://www.shermanbrothers.com/custservice.php#shipping

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1116&ProductId=208

I've bought three or four pairs of shoes from them. Service has been impeccable and domestic shipping prompt. Call them with questions. They have been helpful on the phone for me on several occasions. In fact I'd call to check availability.

Looks like TheShoeMart does too, depending on the country: http://www.theshoemart.com/policies/c-policies.html

Ordered once from there. Excellent.

I'll admit to having a soft spot for Sherman Brothers. That's whe my #8 PTBs came from. First Alden shell. Also Philadelphia center city location right next to excellent oysters and beer poured from a beer engine. Makes for a very pleasant block. Sort of making me wish I could go buy some #8 Indys there. Right now.

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

To point 2: Agree. I would like to try something that's not Barrie myself. Guess sizing is the trick. Will have to take a little field trip to experiment. Fortunately the is a local purveyor or two,, though I'm not sure how exotic the selection will be. And then there's the ~10% sales tax..

5. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

Just ordered my first pair of Indys and I decided to go with the 404 (kudu). Is there anyone that has the kudu Indy that can post pictures of a well-worn pair? I'm looking forward to receiving my pair.

6. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  7. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Anyone else here wear Barrie and other bigger lasts with suits? I know some hate the look, but I don't think it's a bad look at all :-/

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

ive worn barrie lasted boots with winter weight suits like tweed or heavy wool but never with an interview type suit

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Namor:

What brands would you suggest for sleeker last shoes that are on the same price tier as Aldens? I think I'm going to slowly work on buying balmorals now.

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Also how do you usually size sleeker shoes like John Lobb? Just .5 size bigger? I guess I'm not done after all, haha.

11. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Thanks guys... shoemart doesnt ship to my country :(
    as for alden web... the shipping is kinda expensive :crazy:

will check out leathersoul , shermanbrothers and epaulet atm.. :D

12. scb

scb Senior member

I've worn Cigar PTBs and Whiskey LWs with suits. looked great. both Barrie

13. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

wow that's crazy. basically they don't want to do it, but they'll gouge you if you really are willing to overpay

14. Seafinch

Seafinch Senior member

Put the Indy's on ebay for those interested.

15. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

very sharp indys, but i dont care for the udon laces.

16. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Watch it pal, with that SF name it don't matter how nice your shoes are to me...:slapfight:

17. scb

scb Senior member

Just returned the 14D pair they sent by mistake and they told me I can get 25% off my next pair for the inconvenience.

I love the Madison ave store!

18. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ Damn! I should order something from there and hope they screw it up

19. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Well, Alden Washington screwed up an order just like the Madison store did with scb.

All I got was an apology, and 'free return' of the boots.

20. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

I was in there a few weeks ago while visiting NYC and wasn't too impressed honestly. The guys working seemed pretty uninterested.

Thoughts on staying tts but going down a width in the Barrie (which was briefly discussed several pages ago) : I recently purchased the standard kudu chukka in a 9C. The 8.5D, which by conventional wisdom would be my barrie size, felt a little short for one foot, and a little roomy in the heel. The 9C is definitely narrower overall than an 8.5D. The 9C barrie measures the same width as my 9D leydon suede chukkas. If the kudu leather loosens up slightly I'll be golden, if not, might have to put up on b&s

also, did anyone grab the reverse tobacco summer oxford that blackbird had? fit pics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.