1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

I would totally be uncool with that. Did he seriously pierce/sew through the insole? Just because they are seconds doesn't mean that shoe deserves that type of treatment. Just my 2 cents.

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

yeah i dont understand ... how is that the repair? do you have the pics prior to this supposed "repair"

3. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

yes, i couldn't really believe it when i saw it. i feel like the first time i step in a puddle the water will go straight through the sole and into the foot bed.

they were sold as seconds under the pretense they had a very minor cosmetic flaw. the flaw was barely noticeable, but this is something else.
    the fact the welt came undone after a week and this as a repair makes me feel like these never should have been sold in the first place, as seconds or otherwise.

i dont have pics of them prior but can tell you they looked like a normal pair of alden 405s, except for the fact the welt was separating from the upper on the instep of the right boot.

I would totally be uncool with that. Did he seriously pierce/sew through the insole? Just because they are seconds doesn't mean that shoe deserves that type of treatment. Just my 2 cents.

4. robin

robin Senior member

That repair looks okay to me. Here's what a cut up shoe looks like for reference:

[​IMG]

5. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

thanks for the photo, Robin.
    but does that stitch go from the insole though the footbed to the outsole, as it does on my repair
    i thought a welt stitch was always on the outside of the shoe as opposed to through the footbed...

my big concern with this repair is water getting inside.
    a bigger picture concern is what will happen down the road when i need to have them resoled.

this just seems like a temporary fix

6. rock2

rock2 New Member

7. randomkoreandude

bump

???

8. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

lol.. probably needed a second post to send a pm

9. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

10. AlSailor

AlSailor Senior member

[​IMG]

Your big toe doesn't feel cramped in these?

11. Razele

Razele Senior member

Robin isn't that blake rapid??

Welt shouldn't look like that...

I probably would talk to him about that. Also, seconds are just that. You win some you lose some.

12. randomkoreandude

is brooks brothers no longer selling alden shoes? theres a 40% off all leather accessories for today (wednesday)

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

man. that repair job looks bad. I'd have them remove that stitch and have it fixed in a reputable shop or sent back to Alden myself.

14. Razele

Razele Senior member

There isn't much they can do repair wise

It's straight through the liner

15. wbc2

wbc2 New Member

That's not how a goodyear welted shoe ought to be repaired. As mentioned, the repair makes your shoes less water resistant than they were originally designed. Also, the goodyear welting allows a shoe to be resoled without having to pierce holes onto the footbed side of the insole. wbc2

16. false

false Senior member

My contribution to this great thread! Hi-Res pics from Winn Perry... ENJOY

Winn Perry x Alden Round 3 (Model 40712H)

[​IMG]

Do you actually have these and can post a review? They look significantly different from anything else out there. Wish they were true balance! Nice looking shoe though.

17. scb

scb Senior member

For me.. This is all I want for Christmas!!!![​IMG]

wearing mine today

18. breakz

breakz Senior member

Do you actually have these and can post a review? They look significantly different from anything else out there. Wish they were true balance! Nice looking shoe though.
    They look like Context's Roy with a captoe but minus the crepe sole. Not to detract from them, though--they're beautiful boots.

19. rick

rick Senior member

i got them yesterday, and what is weird is a am a 10.5d on all barrie last, and these feel very tight. if anyone could shed some light on why i would be a diff size on these? i have about six other pairs of aldens on barrie and they fit fine. the reason i bought them is because i wanted a captoe on barrie. the leather is ok, the boot is not as clunky as my other barrie boots. if i had a choice i would like them a lot better if they wers shell. so i would say there ok but nothing great.

20. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

Thanks for the advice. Cigar is a light color?

Saw the discussion on cordovan water spotting a few pages back, figured I would join in. To begin with, Cigar shell is one of the darker cordovan colors that Alden uses. Darker than both whiskey and revello for sure, it is a dark brown, beautiful stuff. Anyways I have a pair of balmoral oxfords in cigar shell and they will definitely get waterspots from rain. I always avoid wearing these shoes in the rain for sure, but if they do get wet the trick is to make sure you have some kind of cloth with you that you can dry them off immediately. If you can dry them off as soon as they get wet they are fine, but if they get a little bit of water on them and it sits for longer than a few minutes they will spot. Alden of Carmel has some recipe for water-proofing cordovan on their website, I dunno how well it works as I have never tried it. http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.