***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

how used are they?

Very lightly used - post is up in B&S.

2. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

only problem is I can't seem to find them in a light brown calfskin. Shell cordovan is out of my budget.

just save up, it is worth it

3. miran

miran Senior member

Friends, I recently got a 403, Size 10D. All my life since i"ve been an adult, I've worn 11D in American shoes and 45.5 (11.5D) in Italian/Swiss shoes, and 10.5 in English shoes. The powers that be determined my trubalance size to be 10D, based on Brannock measurements of my foot. The 403s fit my foot perfectly. The length is perfect, in the sense that my foot just sits in there, it cannot be pushed forward or backwards at all. The width is a bit snug but comfy. While walking, my foot is not sliding inside the shoe at all. After wearing for 2 hours once, I get this horrible "wrinkling" on the uppers of the boot, that you can see in the photo. Worn another 2-3 hours walking, wrinkling gets worse, and my foot feels odd in the shoes after wearing for a long time. What is wrong? Too small? For comparison, the last photo shows a pair of loafers that I've worn many times, and you can see where and how the "wrinkling" happens there. The loafers are size UK10.5Medium. Any advice gratefully appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Friends, I recently got a 403, Size 10D. All my life since i"ve been an adult, I've worn 11D in American shoes and 45.5 (11.5D) in Italian/Swiss shoes, and 10.5 in English shoes. The powers that be determined my trubalance size to be 10D, based on Brannock measurements of my foot. The 403s fit my foot perfectly. The length is perfect, in the sense that my foot just sits in there, it cannot be pushed forward or backwards at all. The width is a bit snug but comfy. While walking, my foot is not sliding inside the shoe at all. After wearing for 2 hours once, I get this horrible "wrinkling" on the uppers of the boot, that you can see in the photo. Worn another 2-3 hours walking, wrinkling gets worse, and my foot feels odd in the shoes after wearing for a long time. What is wrong? Too small? For comparison, the last photo shows a pair of loafers that I've worn many times, and you can see where and how the "wrinkling" happens there. The loafers are size UK10.5Medium. Any advice gratefully appreciated! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What do you mean by your foot feels odd? Too tight? High instep? As for the wrinkling these are 403's right? CXL is going wrinkle…that's the beauty of it. Don't compare it to calfskin dress shoe for CXL has different characteristics.

5. miran

miran Senior member

What do you mean by your foot feels odd? Too tight? High instep?

As for the wrinkling these are 403's right? CXL is going wrinkle...that's the beauty of it. Don't compare it to calfskin dress shoe for CXL has different characteristics.

No, my instep is pretty normal, and maybe it feels a little tight but not noticeably painful like shoes that are too small. I get no blisters (although my pinkys are a little pinker). It could just be because I'm not used to wearing such heavy shoes.

Yes, these are 403s in CXL, but I have other shoes and boatshoes made of CXL, which do not wrinkle to this extent at all. IN fact, to the average guy on the street, this wrinkling would look like leather that is "cheap shit from China that wrinkles after 2 wears" instead of the fabled CXL! [​IMG]

6. ChessDan

ChessDan Active Member

just save up, it is worth it

Yeah the whiskey shells look so nice. Also concerned about the breathability and heaviness though as I live in DC and probably wouldn't be able to wear them half the year.

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

No, my instep is pretty normal, and maybe it feels a little tight but not noticeably painful like shoes that are too small. I get no blisters (although my pinkys are a little pinker). It could just be because I'm not used to wearing such heavy shoes.

Yes, these are 403s in CXL, but I have other shoes and boatshoes made of CXL, which do not wrinkle to this extent at all. IN fact, to the average guy on the street, this wrinkling would look like leather that is "cheap shit from China that wrinkles after 2 wears" instead of the fabled CXL! [​IMG]

If they are the right size they will loosen up a bit after more wears. As for the wrinkling this is consistent with my CXL experience. If you want to minimize the wrinkling use shoe trees and don't wear the boots on consecutive days. I think the wrinkling adds character and they are technically "work boots". Here's a link on CXL…http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcelÂ[​IMG]-2/ Enjoy your purchase they look great, and don't fret on the wrinkling.

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cigar lhs
    argyles otc

9. BeltSegue

BeltSegue New Member

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

yeah those boots are cool, but those shortwings imo are terrible, though i hate most shortwings.

You are a retard.

11. Renton

Renton Senior member

Yeah the whiskey shells look so nice. Also concerned about the breathability and heaviness though as I live in DC and probably wouldn't be able to wear them half the year.

[​IMG] I live in MS and breathability of shell has never been an issue for me.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

You are a retard.

mhmm. earlier today i put him on my ignore list. wish i had done it sooner.

13. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Quick PSA: I'm selling my Roy boots in size 10.5D (barrie last). Link to B&S post in my sig.

14. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

the PTB, LWB, pretty much any barrie lasted shoe is very heavy. mine are heavier than my work boots.

All of my Aldens are quite heavy. Perhaps it's the wood mid-sole and leather sole.

All Aldens are heavy, it's probably due mostly to the steel shank. The midsole is cork, not wood.

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

mhmm. earlier today i put him on my ignore list. wish i had done it sooner.

Having him on ignore made the forum much more tolerable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.