1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Ravello can look pretty red, so much so that I find that it limits what I can wear it with. For example, I have ravello plain toes that I often wear with suits, but I find that I don't like wearing it with any color shirt or tie that clashes with red (purple, for instance). When that happens I find myself reaching for my Polo/C&J dark brown cordovans.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 nst saddle
    argyles otc

3. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Wait, purple clashes with red?

4. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

Speedhooks are great when you're wearing jeans, but they tear up my trousers every time.

5. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

CHRK33,

Is it too late to get in on the whiskey wing tip boots?

Thanks,

Keith

6. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

just copped the j.crew perf cap toe cordo boots off their ebay site for 425. super stoked. will post pics upon arrival and of my all but certain b nelson antique welt/edgetriming and commando re sole. my winter boot has arrived!

7. ChinkSmiley

ChinkSmiley New Member

There's a JCrew ebay store?

8. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

I'll be in NYC for the weekend and will be stopping by Leffot and probably the Madison Ave store, hoping to find either some chukkas or ptbs. Am I correct in thinking that I'll have the best shot at finding something at one of these two places? I'm assuming that the Madison Ave store will have the best variety of sizes (I'm interested in trying a barrie in a C as the D width is too loose in the heel).

9. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

link?

10. sellran

sellran Senior member

You should also try Citishoes on Park Avenue. They have a fairly large selection and good sizing. I walked in one day and walked out with whiskey longwings in 9.5E that they had in stock. Not an easy find.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Does anyone know of any retailer currently selling an Alden boot with the following specs:
    • Color 8 shell cordovan
    • Wingtip
    • 9 eyelets - NO speed hooks
    • Barrie last
    • Commando sole preferred but not required

I have found several that are close, but for those danged speed hooks...

12. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Epaulet...http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1216/*Alden-for-Epaulet-Brixton/Detail

13. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

How easy is it to weatherize suede? If I were to buy the suede chukka, could I talk it in to my local cobbler and have him/her make it waterproof/stainproof?

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I think he means these, it was a rando ebay auction, not official j crew. good find though

15. bin31z

bin31z Active Member

16. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I agree with you 100%. Proportionately, they are the most narrow toe box/wide heel last that Alden offers. Completely impossible for me to fit in any size or width.

17. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

There are a bunch of ebay vendors based in lynchburg, Va, that sell jcrew product such as Paisley Petunia. they claim not to be affiliated with J.Crew but are located in the same town as their distrobution center and almost certianly sell returns that can't go back on the floor, as well as press and lookbook samples.

i'm almost 100% certain that these are J. Crew proxies.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  18. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Super easy, you just spray some stuff on there and let it dry.

Suede shoes don't look quite right to me until they show some wear. Suede is not fragile. You can let them get wet, dirty, etc., and clean them with a brush if they get too dirty. Or do this -- Leffot video

19. applky

applky Senior member

When suede is new/very clean, apply Meltonian suede protector. It's an excellent product. It will darken your suede very slightly at first, but normal color will return after a few wears.

20. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Sounds promising. WIll it completely keep the rain out? I'm planning on wearing these in London weather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.