***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

The office moves to business casual during the summer and I need a light tan pair of loafers to wear with khakis or light colored dress pants. I was thinking a nice pair of whiskey loafers like the ones below. Do the whiskey loafers darken with age? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Attachment 64636

I think ravello is better for your usage. I never quit figured out if whiskey is too close in color to tan/khaki, but ravello is definitely fine I think

2. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

What is the best way to care for natural Chromexcel? Should I use the Alden neutral shoe cream or am I better off with some sort of conditioner? Any recommendations?

Also, what's the difference between the shoe cream and the wax? I am getting some Alden wax for the black and #8 shell shoes that I have, and I know not to use the cream on shell. But I guess the cream would be for leather shoes?

Thanks.

3. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

What is the best way to care for natural Chromexcel? Should I use the Alden neutral shoe cream or am I better off with some sort of conditioner? Any recommendations?

Also, what's the difference between the shoe cream and the wax? I am getting some Alden wax for the black and #8 shell shoes that I have, and I know not to use the cream on shell. But I guess the cream would be for leather shoes?

Thanks.

I have many pairs of shoes in Horween chromexcel and all i ever use is venetian shoe cream (as directed) and brush with a horse hair brush. Buff with a cloth to a nice sheen.

My cordovan see's polish once in a blue moon. The best care for your cordovan shoes is the "Mac method". search it on this forum and you'll be golden.

4. unclesam099

I have many pairs of shoes in Horween chromexcel and all i ever use is venetian shoe cream (as directed) and brush with a horse hair brush. Buff with a cloth to a nice sheen.

My cordovan see's polish once in a blue moon. The best care for your cordovan shoes is the "Mac method". search it on this forum and you'll be golden.

Great, I know the Mac method and have been following it. I am at the point where I need to buy the wax, though.

I will have to get some of the venetian shoe cream for the natural cxl ptb's, too.

5. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

The office moves to business casual during the summer and I need a light tan pair of loafers to wear with khakis or light colored dress pants. I was thinking a nice pair of whiskey loafers like the ones below. Do the whiskey loafers darken with age? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I think ravello is better for your usage. I never quit figured out if whiskey is too close in color to tan/khaki, but ravello is definitely fine I think

Ravello is the best shell, I believe, and very versatile. Whiskey LHS would be an excellent choice, though. Whiskey does darken with age, especially in the sun. A perfect shade of shell for the summer, though ravello works year-round.

6. astris

astris Senior member

I would think: denim, tan khakis, light gray, etc...
    What do you do for a belt with navy suede? I'm guessing just a brown leather or suede belt since they have the natural edge?

7. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Venetian shoe cream will darken natural chromexcel. TSM recommends neutral for natural.

8. unclesam099

Venetian shoe cream will darken natural chromexcel. TSM recommends neutral for natural.

Great, I haven't placed the order yet, I think that I might just buy some. I was worried that applying cream or whatever would darken it.

9. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

What do you do for a belt with navy suede? I'm guessing just a brown leather or suede belt since they have the natural edge?
    Hi astris, i just bought a pair of van Bommel navy suede http://www.vanbommel.com/uploads/shoes/1705103.jpg and asked myself the same question. what i just ordered is this Pierre Cardin suede belt € 39 - hopefully the colour will match perfect Attachment 64654 Hope this amazon link will work http://www.amazon.de/Lederg%C3%BCrte...4962742&sr=1-2 kindest regards Joachim pls excuse my very basic english - i am a german native
    [​IMG]

10. srivats

srivats Senior member

Technically this is all mine:

Alden Collection

Love it [​IMG]

Next time I visit CA, I'll def. drop in at LSBH.

11. srivats

srivats Senior member

I think natural is too light -- here is how it looks after a few coats of venetian cream. Pics from AAAC.

[​IMG]
    Alden CXL PTB's with a few coats of Venetian Cream.
    Gives them a more of a toned-down appearance.

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I think natural is too light -- here is how it looks after a few coats of venetian cream. Pics from AAAC.

Sri - I sort of like the tone of those shoes after a few coats of the Venetian - I may hit my natural LWBs with the commando soles that I picked up from Winn Perry. That would mean that I have a pair of #8s available...[​IMG]

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Attachment 64636

whiskey is a good choice. consider ravello or cigar. in my experience whiskey does darken with age

15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Exactly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.