1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kalanigee

kalanigee Senior member

I don't know Varvatos or Five Ten's fit, but I had to size down 1/2 a size from my Chucks on the Trubalance. I'd personally say size 8, but that's just my opinion.

Originally posted this in the ask a question get an answer thread.

I'm interested in buying a pair of Alden Indy, but am unsure what size I should get.
    I've read to many size posts on the forum, most of it conflicting.

For reference I wear:
    Varvatos Chucks - size 8.5
    Five Ten Basic - size 9
    Varvatos loafers - size 9D

According to Alden the Trubalance last run a half size larger than marked.

Would this make my ideal Indy size a 8.5?

Thanks in advance.

2. erbs

erbs Senior member

3. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Ok, after my thread died...maybe this is the right place to post this. Does anyone own the Alden for Winn Perry "Little Tank"? I would love to see pictures of the boots worn and if someone has seen/owns it what colour has it? More grayish or brown? The winn perry pictures differ a little bit from these I found on flickr (regarding colour). [​IMG] [​IMG] And a kinda related side-note: Alden for Winn Perry Round 3: [​IMG] Thank you! -MS

4. ysb

ysb Senior member

Hi I was trying to figure out what last this one pair of Aldens are. I only have pictures.

on the inside is this writing:

11b/d 7H 041TR (or IR) 2

I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to fit in this shoe since I'm a true 11.5 but I've read on some models to size down

They're plain toe bluchers with 4 eyelets if that helps anymore.

Thanks!

5. mrsmiff

mrsmiff Well-Known Member

Kiya,
    I'm working over at Unionmade in SF. we are getting Alden saddles in a couple months. I believe the main body is white nubuck with navy calf saddles and a brick sole. they're going to be sweet.

we have some other special Aldens in the works so I will keep y'all posted!

Can you do pre-orders so those of us who don't wear a "D" width can get in on the action?

6. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

context's alden black tankers just came in and are ready to be shipped ... someone please take my 8.5D

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Can you do pre-orders so those of us who don't wear a "D" width can get in on the action?

the saddle shoes and a couple others have been ordered already but with upcoming orders, yes.

I will be posting details shortly of upcoming releases and we can take pre-orders then

8. breakz

breakz Senior member

[​IMG]

Wow.

9. SeventyFive

SeventyFive Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI, it looks like Shoemart has a nearly full stock of D width cigar long wings. Too bad that I'm a C width... [​IMG]

10. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

My Epaulet x Alden Brixton boots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my first pair of Aldens. They definitely won't be my last.

11. kinetic

kinetic Senior member

So if I'm a 7.5 in the Leydon (Chukka boot) should I go for a 7 in the Barrie last?

Looking into some longwings.

12. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

So if I'm a 7.5 in the Leydon (Chukka boot) should I go for a 7 in the Barrie last?

Looking into some longwings.

Yes. 7.5D Leydon would be 7D Barrie.

13. slide13

slide13 Senior member

My Epaulet x Alden Brixton boots:

These are my first pair of Aldens. They definitely won't be my last.

Great looking boots!

14. false

false Senior member

I've been through the thread in the past but can't remember the answer to this question: what is the difference between barrie and true balance? I tried on a pair of Indys and really liked the true balance fit but I've got a thing for NST boots (particulary #8 with a crepe sole if I can find it). Now I'm back in Tokyo and can't find anywhere to try on the barrie. I've heard they're similar but can anyone tell me what to expect? I'm an 8D in true balance.

Also, I googled around but should I avoid wearing cordovan in the rain? I found some threads on askandy and people were just going back and forth over whether or not cordovan holds up well in the wet. I don't want to buy a 700 pair of shoes (likely on a commando sole) and then have to check weather reports before venturing out in them. Overall are cordovan boots tougher for city living or should I stick to something more utilitarian like the Indy? Right now I'm waffeling between Trickers Stow, 405's, and at the high end, #8 NST.

15. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

I've been through the thread in the past but can't remember the answer to this question: what is the difference between barrie and true balance? I tried on a pair of Indys and really liked the true balance fit but I've got a thing for NST boots (particulary #8 with a crepe sole if I can find it). Now I'm back in Tokyo and can't find anywhere to try on the barrie. I've heard they're similar but can anyone tell me what to expect? I'm an 8D in true balance. Also, I googled around but should I avoid wearing cordovan in the rain? I found some threads on askandy and people were just going back and forth over whether or not cordovan holds up well in the wet. I don't want to buy a 700 pair of shoes (likely on a commando sole) and then have to check weather reports before venturing out in them. Overall are cordovan boots tougher for city living or should I stick to something more utilitarian like the Indy? Right now I'm waffeling between Trickers Stow, 405's, and at the high end, #8 NST.
    It's water resistant but from what I've read some people have experienced swelling of the leather (bumpiness) when the cordovan gets wet. How can you not find anywhere to try on a pair of Aldens in Japan? They're everywhere there

16. false

false Senior member

Every place I've been only carries modified but I'm going to go look more today.
    Edit: Thanks LeatherSOUL

17. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Most places also carry the Barrie. Look for the 990, 9901, and 1339, which should be in almost every Alden retailer in Japan. You should also be an 8D.

18. MS007

MS007 Senior member

Wow.

Exactly my thoughts. Now I am eager to get some impressions from people who actually have the boot. [​IMG]

19. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

so I've had a tendency to baby my new shell shoes, but of the 1-2 old pairs I've bought off ebay, I've wore them in the rain (heavy rain) and they look absolutely fine after drying off with shoes trees in them. If it is raining outside I still wouldn't choose my newer shell shoes as my go to shoes but I wouldn't necessarily worry about them if it was wet outside. I mean, if you really think about it, would Alden really make $700 shoes that gets "ruined" in wet weather? They'd be out of business long ago if that was the case.

20. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I have a question about the Thomas heel:

[​IMG]
    Do all trubalance-last Alden boots come with the Thomas heel? Or is this just an Indy boot feature?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.