1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

oh man soooooooooooooooooooooo pumped for mine

you will be pleased

2. mcarthur

a long long wait for these

[​IMG]

ends up they don't come in E width [​IMG]

enjoy wearing your ravello lwb. remember to use the break in procedure

3. imatlas

imatlas Distinguished Member

enjoy wearing your ravello lwb. remember to use the break in procedure
    Wear them around the house for several hours? Or do you mean the "pen trick", or something else entirely?

4. mcarthur

Wear them around the house for several hours? Or do you mean the "pen trick", or something else entirely?

wear at least three different times walking on carpeting before you take the shoes to walk on the concrete to ascertain that the fit is right for you

5. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

wear at least three different times walking on carpeting before you take the shoes to walk on the concrete to ascertain that the fit is right for you
    The mac method. : )

6. imatlas

imatlas Distinguished Member

Excellent advice. I like to wear them longer each time, although with shell it's difficult (for most of us, anyway, seemingly not you!) to keep from creasing them.

7. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

8. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Thanks, I use Venetian shoe cream for the Ultimate Indy + horsehair brush + flannel buff, I want to keep it dressy enough.

Yes size 13D trubalance is a little wide but I wear my hiking boots pretty often, if I want to wear dress socks then put a thin insole.

I get my Ultimate Indy and #8 from LSBH and Cigar from Leffot. I'm hunting for snuff suede and whiskey now...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

10. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior Member

zippyh, that's evil post haha. I wish Alden allow independent group order easily.

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Distinguished Member

Red Brick Sole Longwings at Frans Boone.
    [​IMG]

If only those weren't on the Barrie last, and didn't cost $590 (with 20% VAT refund), they would be my perfect spring-summer shoe!

12. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Distinguished Member

If only those weren't on the Barrie last, and didn't cost $590 (with 20% VAT refund), they would be my perfect spring-summer shoe!

Wish they had my size still...would kop.

13. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    color 4 and black saddle
    argyles otc

14. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior Member

The Trubalance is just a really wide last, I've had the same experience fitting it as you described. I never tried going down a width, but what I ultimately ended up doing in your situation is going with the larger of the two sizes and wearing thicker socks. That ended up being the more comfortable solution for me.

I sent you this already, but I think with boots, it is not bad to have some extra room in the shoe to account for thick socks. Given the truebalance is a wide last, it will fit wide. I'm not sure if E is necessary if you are between D and E (as I often am). I would just size up a half and stay in D. I find with Alden, E is necessary with narrower lasts like Aberdeen but less so with fuller lasts like Barrie/Truebalance.

Friend, you are asking the wrong person.
    This forum is great for looking at pictures and finding out about the interesting things that are out there, but at the end, I wouldn't trust sizing advice here. Case in point- my 3 month sizing disaster.

Thanks guys, I placed a very thin insole and they fit spot on.
    And now that you mention it when I first tried them on I may have been wearing a thicker sock back then, seeing how it was colder up here in February...oops, my bad[​IMG]

So, wore them today and so far so good. Leather is a little stiff but that's to be expected.
    Cheers.

15. miran

miran Senior Member

Thanks guys, I placed a very thin insole and they fit spot on.
    And now that you mention it when I first tried them on I may have been wearing a thicker sock back then, seeing how it was colder up here in February...oops, my bad[​IMG]

So, wore them today and so far so good. Leather is a little stiff but that's to be expected.
    Cheers.

which insole did you use? from Shoe Company?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.