***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Awesome until one is tempted to do the math. Do they do interventions on Alden compulsions?

Mine finally subsided, and now I am just happy to wear the ones I have. Shoe collection should last ten years easy. No longer want moar [​IMG]

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Mine finally subsided, and now I am just happy to wear the ones I have. Shoe collection should last ten years easy. No longer want moar [​IMG]

Let me guess, you've removed Leather Soul, Leffot and ShoeMart from your bookmarks haven't you?

3. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Let me guess, you've removed Leather Soul, Leffot and ShoeMart from your bookmarks haven't you?

Still look at all those sites pretty regularly. Style Forum, not so much.

For a while there, I think the main source of need-for-shoe feeling was the change of seasons. This would bring on the realization that I did not have what would be just right for the upcoming transition.

Now, rolling into spring and looking ahead to summer, over the weekend I pulled out all these great shoes from storage. Many I have not worn in eight months. And they hit the spot. I am looking forward to working them into the rotation (can only fit about seven pairs in main closet, so that is what I usually wear any given month or two).

Five years of buying a pair or two every time the weather started to turn ... and ... I'm good.

4. sazon

sazon Senior member

Just an update on the medallion captoe in ravello/plaza last....Spoke to Kathy, or is it Cathy, at Alden of DC on Saturday.

She said she has been really busy but she did plan to put the order through.

Seeing its almsot May, maybe we'll see these by Christmas? Would be the perfect self-gift, no?

5. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Still look at all those sites pretty regularly. Style Forum, not so much. For a while there, I think the main source of need-for-shoe feeling was the change of seasons. This would bring on the realization that I did not have what would be just right for the upcoming transition. Now, rolling into spring and looking ahead to summer, over the weekend I pulled out all these great shoes from storage. Many I have not worn in eight months. And they hit the spot. I am looking forward to working them into the rotation (can only fit about seven pairs in main closet, so that is what I usually wear any given month or two). Five years of buying a pair or two every time the weather started to turn ... and ... I'm good.
    Would be interested in hearing more about your collection. Care to list? Finding the right cut off point is something I've been thinking a lot about.

6. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Then iamatlas' advice would probably help.

I swear I saw a barrie Monk strap today, in suede, on ebay? Can't find it anymore

I have one for sale on B & S. Had them custom made.

7. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

Sorry to seemingly intrude on this thread but, could someone please PM me a link to the Alden sizing grid? I came across it the other day and foolishly forgot to bookmark it.

8. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

9. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

This weather in NYC has been a downer recently... I suspect we have a few months to go of this mess

Looking for an Alden shoe in calf that can be worn with a suit or slacks and is appropriate for the rain...

I'm thinking this

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...8582/18582.jsp

Is a good alternative to Winn Perry's double waterloc walnut longwings (which I assume are sold out).

Thoughts?

10. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ Wearing my Crew Tobacco LWs today in the light rain....no issues. Most comfortable Aldens I own. Those WPs looked great too.

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

This weather in NYC has been a downer recently... I suspect we have a few months to go of this mess

Looking for an Alden shoe in calf that can be worn with a suit or slacks and is appropriate for the rain...

I'm thinking this

Is a good alternative to Winn Perry's double waterloc walnut longwings (which I assume are sold out).

Thought?

I have those Aldens and do indeed love them, but sometimes I feel like they are a bit light for suit wear. I do wear them, but I always wish they were just a shade darker. The color as shown on line really don't do the shoes justice.

The darker brown Alden LWBs that J Crew offers is too dark for my tastes. Not much depth to the color. Though I did see that pair on sale in the Paramus store, and the shade was lighter. So guess it depends which cow you're wearing...

12. marg

marg Senior member

I have those Aldens and do indeed love them, but sometimes I feel like they are a bit light for suit wear. I do wear them, but I always wish they were just a shade darker. The color as shown on line really don't do the shoes justice.

The darker brown Alden LWBs that J Crew offers is too dark for my tastes. Not much depth to the color. Though I did see that pair on sale in the Paramus store, and the shade was lighter. So guess it depends which cow you're wearing...

switch between neutral shoe polish and a medium-dark brown. should darken them nicely over time and give them character.

13. marg

marg Senior member

Speaking of a cap toe cordovan boot, anyone sell it with the commando sole?

sherman brothers has them on order in the aberdeen. idk if it's too late to get in on those. they are doing cigar now.

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

sherman brothers has them on order in the aberdeen. idk if it's too late to get in on those. they are doing cigar now.

I don't really like the aberdeen for boots, a bit too pointy for me.

15. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I'm thinking this

Thoughts?

By "appropriate for the rain" I assume you are getting at how the sole will hold up to rain (as opposed to traction, or the upper). I haven't seen any evidence that the "double waterloc" sole necessarily holds up better over time and a range of real-world conditions than a conventional double sole, let alone a double sole with topys (with comparable care, usage, etc.). My personal opinion is if it keeps my feet dry, it's fine in the rain. I have yet to see a sole spontaneously disintegrate because I stepped in a puddle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.