***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

that is a common "problem" if you want to call it that on the crepe soles, just wear them, it does not affect the performance of the shoes in anyway. the other shoe will look the same soon enough, just enjoy the shoes and stop worrying if people are checking out the bottom of your shoes

2. Collectro

Collectro Member

Thank you for the replys.
    I guess it's another -1 for crepe.
    I wasn't necessarily worried about their preformance yet, I just figured that at this rate of seperation the leather would be all but gone within a year.
    I was however pretty worried about people seeing this, now I can wear them with no shame.

Another question, I've used the search function but can't seem to find anything.
    How is the reverse chamois or similiar rough out leather usually cared for?
    Any recommendations for specific oil or brush?

3. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Thank you. Does most Alden stores in the US carry this last? I can't find them here in Norway, but I'm hoping to get over to NY some time this year.
    The Moulded Shoe in New York is king of the modified last. Here's the linkā€¦ http://mouldedshoe.com/aldenselection.html

4. kit99bar

kit99bar Senior member

Can anyone recommend a site that has non suede chukkas in a size 8 in stock?

5. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

Awesome until one is tempted to do the math. Do they do interventions on Alden compulsions?

I think I'd like those better in Brown Chromexcel but they are great just the same. Strictly for comparison sake, consider the math on Aportnoy's collection and then compare it to yours. I'd say that as long as you are wearing them and not storing them in the boxes, you're fine.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I think I'd like those better in Brown Chromexcel but they are great just the same. Strictly for comparison sake, consider the math on Aportnoy's collection and then compare it to yours. I'd say that as long as you are wearing them and not storing them in the boxes, you're fine.

yeah, I'd have to say Aportnoy's got me beat, there's no question. Now consider Alden makes up about 20% to 25% of my shoe rotation. and you'll see why I look at those boxes and think... [​IMG]

7. sazon

sazon Senior member

Worth the wait. Plain toe boot in natural chromexcel:

[​IMG]

My stack of Alden boxes is starting to get, er, unwieldy:

[​IMG]

Thankfully, I also am a 10D in many Alden lasts. I can help you if you need to get rid of some of these.

8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Thank you for the replys.
    I guess it's another -1 for crepe.
    I wasn't necessarily worried about their preformance yet, I just figured that at this rate of seperation the leather would be all but gone within a year.
    I was however pretty worried about people seeing this, now I can wear them with no shame.

Another question, I've used the search function but can't seem to find anything.
    How is the reverse chamois or similiar rough out leather usually cared for?
    Any recommendations for specific oil or brush?

I haven't experienced this 'problem' on my crepes - maybe not enought wear yet, but I've worn a pair of boots w/crepe all winter and they're holding up fine.

Just use a stiff brush on the reverse chamois as needed - maybe a little spray if you like. Someone, maybe Steven at Leffot, said neatsfoot oil.

9. borderline

borderline Senior member

Can anyone recommend a site that has non suede chukkas in a size 8 in stock?

My list of online sellers was pasted into the 1st post in this thread.

10. Danito

Danito Member

Hello all,

After many years of drooling over Aldens, I believe I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Cordovan Captoe boot, color # 8. Though I love the overall design of the boot, I'm not entirely sold on the very dark burgundy color.

I am aware that color #8 is known to lighten up over time, but by how much? Has anyone attempted to expedite the aging process through sun exposure?

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Speaking of a cap toe cordovan boot, anyone sell it with the commando sole?

12. Danito

Danito Member

13. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

14. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Try J gilbert in seattle - i preorderd a captoe and norwegian split to #8 boot on commando sole with them.

15. Danito

Danito Member

i imagine Leather Soul makes a commando Cap toe, but LS is always sold out of everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.