Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nah I'm not trolling I just got the shoes for pretty cheap and I wear them with jeans and stuff and want them to be a little more casual/worn in. I like them looking beat up.
    In that case, forget what I said about hail, etc - it could give you the look you want.[​IMG]

2. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

Never was really that into alden but after browsing through this thread a bit I'm in love with the 2160- cardovan oxford in dark burgundy.
    Quick question, do these ever go on sale anywhere, or am I basically stuck paying the $600 if I ever want them? It doesn't really fit a hole in my 'drobe so I can definitely wait

3. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

those will not go on sale, best bet is to browse ebay or the buy and sell if you want them at a discount. It's crazy, I have them in black and still want them in #8, Aldens are addictive.

4. REguy

REguy Senior member

Never was really that into alden but after browsing through this thread a bit I'm in love with the 2160- cardovan oxford in dark burgundy.
    Quick question, do these ever go on sale anywhere, or am I basically stuck paying the $600 if I ever want them? It doesn't really fit a hole in my 'drobe so I can definitely wait

I just got an email from Sherman Brothers today for 15% off the entire store. Unfortunately, I deleted it so I can't tell you what the code is. That would bring the price of the 2160s down to $500.

5. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Alden's thickest, heaviest, juiciest shells are often in black and #8 and are also had at the best prices.

The clearest shells reserved for the "rare" colors can be a little anemic by comparison I've noticed.

(Don't settle for an inferior product in any case. Watch your skirts, as they say in Minnesota.)

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

That's a great style. I have it in burnished brown calf, and it's a really fine looking shoe.

7. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

I found the laces to be crap as well and one totally died after 3 weeks of owning them. Strangely enough, I was in a DM store with the gf and so bought some of their laces instead. They go quite decently with the Indy and seem durable as well. On another note, I've been looking at either the Kudu 404 indy and the kudu chukka boot. Any opinion on how this leather goes with cords for the fall?
    I originally purchased the Kudu Indy 404, and it was a little big for me. I felt with the full lug sole the shoes were a bit too clunky. I sold them after a few wears and went with the Kudu Chukkas and really love them! The mini-lug is a perfect blend of subtlety and usefulness in foul weather. I would highly recommend the Kudu Chukkas (I really love the strong but soft Kudu leather as well - I got mine as seconds from Shoemart).

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Fellas,

Are there monk straps out on the wider lasts or is it strictly aberdeen?

9. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

^I've seen monk straps on Plaza lasts but that is pretty much the same narrowness as aberdeen. The style is really dressy so I don't think Alden makes it on a wider last.

10. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

I originally purchased the Kudu Indy 404, and it was a little big for me. I felt with the full lug sole the shoes were a bit too clunky. I sold them after a few wears and went with the Kudu Chukkas and really love them! The mini-lug is a perfect blend of subtlety and usefulness in foul weather. I would highly recommend the Kudu Chukkas (I really love the strong but soft Kudu leather as well - I got mine as seconds from Shoemart).

Thanks for the input (and to everyone who responded so far). I've nailed my fit on the Trubalance last, so won't have to worry about the sizing. Haven't tried the Barrie last yet, though.

How foul weather are we talking about? I'm living in Canada atm, (though go back to Britain fairly often) and find that I need a pretty big lug sole to deal with the winter.

11. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Nah I'm not trolling I just got the shoes for pretty cheap and I wear them with jeans and stuff and want them to be a little more casual/worn in. I like them looking beat up.
    Take pictures before and along the way please. I think it would be the first pics of such a project posted. [​IMG]

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

^I've seen monk straps on Plaza lasts but that is pretty much the same narrowness as aberdeen. The style is really dressy so I don't think Alden makes it on a wider last.
    The monkstrap is also made on the Leydon last on occasion. Here's a link to a pic of said shoe… http://www.theshoemart.com/mas_asset...D/FD-1536Y.jpg

13. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

14. citamlli

citamlli Member

Picked up some longwings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Picked up some longwings.
    [​IMG]

these are nice. What are they? and from where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.