• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Two Shoes
I usually wear a 10 1/2 in sneakers so that measurement was consistent with the general consensus on SF that the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size large.

I wear 1 - 1.5 larger in sneaks than in dress shoes and usually 1/2 size less in a boot than a shoe (depending on the last). The trubalance runs a little wide, but yours look like they may be long. Can you return or exchange them?

Astronaut888

Reaction score
Two Shoes;4356989 said:
I recently received my first pair of Aldens (Rough Roy on Trubalance last) and I have a question about the size. Before I ordered them, I went to a local Alden retailer and had my foot measured- 10E. I usually wear a 10 1/2 in sneakers so that measurement was consistent with the general consensus on SF that the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size large.

My first INDY purchase was 1/2 size down and was too long as well (trubalance)
Bummed me out. Tried to make it work, but wasn't gonna happen.

Went down 1 full size and the worked out great. Did take a bit to stretch to be comfortable, but would ultimately do the same w/ the trubalance last again.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I ordered them, I went to a local Alden retailer and had my foot measured- 10E. I usually wear a 10 1/2 in sneakers so that measurement was consistent with the general consensus on SF that the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size large.
facepalm.gif
you were in the store already__ you should've tried on an actual pair with similar last, if they din't have the Roys. agree with sizing down from dress shoes size. i sized down a full size on my Indys & went wider, instead.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astronaut888;4357623 said:
I recently received my first pair of Aldens (Rough Roy on Trubalance last) and I have a question about the size. Before I ordered them, I went to a local Alden retailer and had my foot measured- 10E. I usually wear a 10 1/2 in sneakers so that measurement was consistent with the general consensus on SF that the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size large.

Went down 1 full size and the worked out great. Did take a bit to stretch to be comfortable, but would ultimately do the same w/ the trubalance last again.

that's how i am with truebalnce as well.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astronaut888;4357623 said:

When I got fitted for my Indy's I found I could wear either an 8.5 D or an 8 D without a problem. The guy at SF Alden store said that because you typically wear thicker socks with boots and also if you walk around for a few hours, your feet tend to expand/swell, that I should get the 8.5D which I did.

They feel a bit too large if I don't wear athletic socks but he really thought that was the right size for me as he said it's better to have zero issues when you walk out of the store with the shoes rather than have to try to rely on them breaking in.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear thicker socks in fall/winter & slide in leather orthotic insoles [for dress/thinner socks] in spring/summer. that's why i opted on making allowance on width instead of length.

Two Shoes

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everybody. I am going to exchange them for a 9D (the next smallest size available) and see how that feels.

Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
facepalm.gif
you were in the store already__ you should've tried on an actual pair with similar last, if they din't have the Roys. agree with sizing down from dress shoes size. i sized down a full size on my Indys & went wider, instead.

They didn't have anything in a Trubalance last and the 10 I tried on (I think it was a Barrie?) felt fine lengthwise, but narrow. Which is part of why this is so confusing.

Burra

Reaction score
So I have been wearing my new Indys for exactly 8 days, and my laces are fraying already.

I have heard how bad the laces are, but 8 days is a bit rediculous.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burra
So I have been wearing my new Indys for exactly 8 days, and my laces are fraying already. I have heard how bad the laces are, but 8 days is a bit rediculous.
Rub your tears on them and it will strengthen them.
musicboohoo[1].gif

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Rub your tears on them and it will strengthen them.
musicboohoo[1].gif

To be frank I would be irritated too if I paid $400+ for a pair of shoes with laces crapping out with several wears.

I would contact Alden to see if they can send you a new pair. Mines are still going strong. *Knock on wood*.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I found the laces to be crap as well and one totally died after 3 weeks of owning them. Strangely enough, I was in a DM store with the gf and so bought some of their laces instead. They go quite decently with the Indy and seem durable as well.

On another note, I've been looking at either the Kudu 404 indy and the kudu chukka boot. Any opinion on how this leather goes with cords for the fall?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
To be frank I would be irritated too if I paid $400+ for a pair of shoes with laces crapping out with several wears.

I would contact Alden to see if they can send you a new pair. Mines are still going strong. *Knock on wood*.

It is the spped hooks. He read about it before he bought the boots. The way I look at it is if I knew it was going to happen and I spend $400 on a pair off boots I can drop a couple of dollars on laces.

Until I came to this forum I did not know the people who sold me shoes owed me laces for life. If you do not like the laces wearing fast skip the speed hooks.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burra
So I have been wearing my new Indys for exactly 8 days, and my laces are fraying already.

I have heard how bad the laces are, but 8 days is a bit rediculous.

it's not the lace that's the problem, it's the eyelet. Some part of the eyelet needs to be filed down, or it should be replaced. take them to a shop and they will fix it for you.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart
I found the laces to be crap as well and one totally died after 3 weeks of owning them. Strangely enough, I was in a DM store with the gf and so bought some of their laces instead. They go quite decently with the Indy and seem durable as well.

On another note, I've been looking at either the Kudu 404 indy and the kudu chukka boot. Any opinion on how this leather goes with cords for the fall?

Get the suede Indy's posted a couple of pages ago. Perfect for fall.
smile.gif

DeclanM

Reaction score
Hi all

Have been reading here for a while but it's my first time posting, so please be gentle if this question has been asked before.
I'm looking to buy my first pair on boots, and have my eye on a pair of Alden Indy's. Problem is that I live in Australia and I don't know of any places where I live that sells them, so I must go online. I tried to buy them off Shoe Mart recently, but for some reason they don't ship the Indy's internationally. Can anyone give me some reliable online shops where Indy's are available and won't cost me an arm and a leg to ship to Australia? Any help would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads