***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I usually wear a 10 1/2 in sneakers so that measurement was consistent with the general consensus on SF that the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size large.

I wear 1 - 1.5 larger in sneaks than in dress shoes and usually 1/2 size less in a boot than a shoe (depending on the last). The trubalance runs a little wide, but yours look like they may be long. Can you return or exchange them?

2. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

3. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Before I ordered them, I went to a local Alden retailer and had my foot measured- 10E. I usually wear a 10 1/2 in sneakers so that measurement was consistent with the general consensus on SF that the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size large.
    [​IMG] you were in the store already__ you should've tried on an actual pair with similar last, if they din't have the Roys. agree with sizing down from dress shoes size. i sized down a full size on my Indys & went wider, instead.

4. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

6. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

i wear thicker socks in fall/winter & slide in leather orthotic insoles [for dress/thinner socks] in spring/summer. that's why i opted on making allowance on width instead of length.

7. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

Thanks for the help everybody. I am going to exchange them for a 9D (the next smallest size available) and see how that feels.

[​IMG] you were in the store already__ you should've tried on an actual pair with similar last, if they din't have the Roys. agree with sizing down from dress shoes size. i sized down a full size on my Indys & went wider, instead.

They didn't have anything in a Trubalance last and the 10 I tried on (I think it was a Barrie?) felt fine lengthwise, but narrow. Which is part of why this is so confusing.

8. Burra

Burra Active Member

So I have been wearing my new Indys for exactly 8 days, and my laces are fraying already.

I have heard how bad the laces are, but 8 days is a bit rediculous.

9. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

So I have been wearing my new Indys for exactly 8 days, and my laces are fraying already. I have heard how bad the laces are, but 8 days is a bit rediculous.
    Rub your tears on them and it will strengthen them. [​IMG]

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Rub your tears on them and it will strengthen them. [​IMG]
    To be frank I would be irritated too if I paid $400+ for a pair of shoes with laces crapping out with several wears.

I would contact Alden to see if they can send you a new pair. Mines are still going strong. *Knock on wood*.

11. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

I found the laces to be crap as well and one totally died after 3 weeks of owning them. Strangely enough, I was in a DM store with the gf and so bought some of their laces instead. They go quite decently with the Indy and seem durable as well.

On another note, I've been looking at either the Kudu 404 indy and the kudu chukka boot. Any opinion on how this leather goes with cords for the fall?

12. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

To be frank I would be irritated too if I paid $400+ for a pair of shoes with laces crapping out with several wears.

I would contact Alden to see if they can send you a new pair. Mines are still going strong. *Knock on wood*.

It is the spped hooks. He read about it before he bought the boots. The way I look at it is if I knew it was going to happen and I spend $400 on a pair off boots I can drop a couple of dollars on laces.

Until I came to this forum I did not know the people who sold me shoes owed me laces for life. If you do not like the laces wearing fast skip the speed hooks.

13. marg

marg Senior member

So I have been wearing my new Indys for exactly 8 days, and my laces are fraying already.

I have heard how bad the laces are, but 8 days is a bit rediculous.

it's not the lace that's the problem, it's the eyelet. Some part of the eyelet needs to be filed down, or it should be replaced. take them to a shop and they will fix it for you.

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I found the laces to be crap as well and one totally died after 3 weeks of owning them. Strangely enough, I was in a DM store with the gf and so bought some of their laces instead. They go quite decently with the Indy and seem durable as well.

On another note, I've been looking at either the Kudu 404 indy and the kudu chukka boot. Any opinion on how this leather goes with cords for the fall?

Get the suede Indy's posted a couple of pages ago. Perfect for fall. [​IMG]

15. DeclanM

DeclanM New Member

Hi all

Have been reading here for a while but it's my first time posting, so please be gentle if this question has been asked before.
    I'm looking to buy my first pair on boots, and have my eye on a pair of Alden Indy's. Problem is that I live in Australia and I don't know of any places where I live that sells them, so I must go online. I tried to buy them off Shoe Mart recently, but for some reason they don't ship the Indy's internationally. Can anyone give me some reliable online shops where Indy's are available and won't cost me an arm and a leg to ship to Australia? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.