1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

for shell, its a great deal. do you have a promo code?

2. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

In general any Jcrew promos don't include the Alden stuff.

3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Nah, I'm seeing a girl who works at J Crew and apparently Aldens are included in their 30% discount...

Edit: Does anyone have fit pics wearing the shell captoe shoes or a similar pair?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  4. jslade

jslade Senior member

Cheers, thebrownman. I probably just have a strange gait.

Re: J. Crew discount code discussion, I think that J. Crew's officially policy is that you aren't allowed to use discount codes on 3rd-party collabs, but individual sales representatives are able to still give you the discount if they're not in the know, or if they've warmed up to you a bit. I've seen some people saying that they've been able to apply the 30% off to Alden, Belstaff, etc., but a lot of people don't have any such luck. If you call J. Crew up on the phone, they'll definitely say no.

5. reedobandito

I mean, she gets the standard 30% employee discount, so she'd just order them for me.

6. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

u need to begin proxying :)

1 person likes this.
  7. reedobandito

Hahaha I think it'd be immoral to exploit her like that, plus they'd get suspicious if she ordered like 20 pairs of Alden's in a month :D

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

lets be rational here. most relationships end within 6 months. 20 pairs of proxied aldens will last 1000 years. your name will live on forever. think about it...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  9. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

^

I concur.

Now...in the meantime, I noticed these:

[​IMG]

10. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

As someone who has worked at Jcrew, employees don't get discounts on any branded items, save a few that pop up on a special discount list (never the alden's). An employee could override the system and put in a discount at the register but it would be against the books and they'd catch it in an audit

11. reedobandito

hahahaha you sick fucks are not going to convince me hahahaah

Just go to your closest J Crew store and start flirting with a female SA. Take it from there...

12. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Yep, I have a couple of pictures of me wearing the Alden for JCrew Cap Toe Boot. Picked them up from the Madison/79th store in December last year. Have a look here.

13. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Would like some thoughts here:
    [​IMG]
    These are The Ultimate Jumpers (fulfilling the cap toe fit pics request as well) and I got them off of B&S last Spring after they got lost in the post (literally, for like 6 months). Anyway, I'm thinking that whats so great about shell is the fact that its durable and that it ages well with wear, you know, it gains "character". All of my other shells I treat like a baby, I pamper them, take lots of time brushing them with the occasional conditioning treatment, and if I get lonely sleep in my bed with them. OK, the last one was a joke to see if you were still reading. Well, with these, I want to totally DOG them. Wear the shit out of them for the fall/winter and see how they hold up, and age. I don't, however, want to ruin them, because even second hand these things were not cheap.

I had originally intended to do this with a pair of Indy's, but a) I hate the Trubalance last and b)since these were lost for 6 months I'd figure i'd never see them again, so getting them on my desk at work was like a sign when they arrived...besides, I'm not sure parachuters in WW2 had all that much time to clean and polish their jumpers and c)I'm on a pre-order list for the chromex ultimate jumper back from February at LS.

So:
    1. How should I go about doing this?
    I'm thinking a simple brushing before and after wearing to get off any dirt, mud, or anything else that is right on the surface.
    2. How long do you think it'll take to start showing some signs of "character" that we all love so much? I'd be in these at least 3 days a week.
    3. What are some possible effects that I'm not seeing right now? This is the talk me out of it one, if you think I'm nuts.

I'm all ears fellas.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I think what you've suggested sounds fine to me. A simple brushing with a horsehair brush should suffice. You may want to use a smaller dauber brush or even a toothbrush to get any residual dirt out of the exposed welt stitching. Other than that, I wouldn't worry so much. Even Alden's most "elegant" shoe is rugged by comparison to St. Crispin's or Lobb. Just wear them and give them enough attention so the leather remains in good health, other than that - wear them wherever you have to wear them.

Here's my colour 8 shell cap toe boots. Just wear them as often as possible and I find lacing them up nice and tight and walking in them a lot helps really get colour variations in the creases. Or, go to a concert, drink copious amounts of beer and don't take them off for a while. They'll get character. And quickly, too.

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

OK, I stopped using wax or cream on my cordovan, especially the lighter colors. I just brush and if you wish to be fancy use one brush for the light colors and one for the darker so as not to get any color bleed. I am still trying to brush the excess wax off of some of mine. I think the wax holds dirt particles on top and then they start to gather and make darker areas on the outside of my toe box as well as some other issues. I just do not need it and the Mac method calls for almost no wax at all.

I do use wax on calf and do not have any problems.

Fantastic! I may have to stop by Alden DC to see if they have any left....
    I am really digging the color on these. Very nice.

I am trying to buy all my new boots with the commando sole for this reason. I do put plastic toe taps on my leather sole Alden shoes and boots. Not the best looking but I really do not think anyone cares.
    WANT

Yeah, is is worh the shipping, drama, returns, and general BS that comes along with money? Plus do you want to tell chicks you sell shoes for a living:

[​IMG]

Sorry Tom, You are still the man! :satisfied:

16. Menlo

Menlo New Member

Hello, Do you know what style number those Alden shell cordovan strap loafers are ?
    Thank you for your answer.
    Regards,
    Menlo

17. Leighlon

Leighlon Well-Known Member

First time poster and owner of a pair of Alden Indy's. Bought them back in June at the Alden's of San Francisco and now surfing the internet for my next pair.
    I've been scouring this post over the last week and I see mention of SF'ers which I take to mean a shoe store.
    Could you guys help me out with the name?
    Thanks in advance and look forward to reading more posts about these fabulous shoes.

18. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

"SF" around here generally means "StyleForum" (SF'ers being StyleForum posters, like you). Welcome!

The only other Alden retailer in the Bay Area that I know of is Unionmade, whose collection is generally small and custom. You can view their Aldens online.

The first page of this thread contains a partial list of Alden retailers. Notable ones include:

Alden stores in NYC, DC, and SF
    Leather Soul (Hawaii/Beverly Hills)
    Epaulet (Brooklyn/NYC)
    Leffot (NYC)
    ShoeMart (CT, mostly e-commerce)
    Unionmade, as mentioned above

Was there a particular style of shoe you were looking for?

19. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

^

SF = Style Forum.

You may be confusing it for collaborations with shoe stores like Leather Soul (ex. LS x SF shortwing collab).

EDIT: Beat me to it, Enigma.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  20. Leighlon

Leighlon Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.