***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

My families tire business has been on the other side of the river probably almost as long as Horween has been there. Turner Tannery used to be right next to us. Between the tanneries, old tires and the river, the
    odor would take some getting used to. If you work there every day, you do not notice.

Kenal0

I think Gutman Leather used to be there as well. It will be interesting to see what happens to that entire area with Finkel moving to the southside. Our present mayor expressed an interest in maintaining an industrial district - not sure what our future mayor thinks about that.

Lakin, right? I do know your family is sitting on a pretty nice parcel of real estate - probably too nice for tire recycling![​IMG]

BTW - I too have an addiction to Aero HH coats. Must be something that the Horweens do in the tanning process!

2. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

3. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

I think Gutman Leather used to be there as well. It will be interesting to see what happens to that entire area with Finkel moving to the southside. Our present mayor expressed an interest in maintaining an industrial district - not sure what our future mayor thinks about that.

Lakin, right? I do know your family is sitting on a pretty nice parcel of real estate - probably too nice for tire recycling![​IMG]

BTW - I too have an addiction to Aero HH coats. Must be something that the Horweens do in the tanning process!

I meant Gutman not Turner. Finkyl would have been gone if the real estate market had not tanked. They have the Verson property on the south side and will move when the market changes. Their original plan was to be moved by the end of this year.
    Our parcel has shrunk thru the years, at one time we owned the property where Treasure Island is, also the shopping center behind Dunkin Donuts as well as across from the Webster theatre. Neighborhood has changed a little in the last 90 years.
    Except for Horween!

Kenal0

4. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

I think all of Horween's Chromexcel-tanned horsehide goes to jacket manufacturers.

Aero:

http://horween.files.wordpress.com/2.../dsc_00491.jpg (large image)

/offtopic

My Aeros go back a few years and they did not mention Chromexcel but I am sure it is the same process.
    I love the way the jackets look and wear almost as much as the shell shoes.
    Kenal0

5. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

Snuff suede chukkas or Ravello Cordovan chukkas? Can't decide.

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Snuff suede chukkas or Ravello Cordovan chukkas? Can't decide.

No brainer. Ravello.

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

It's great that you had a tour of the Horween tannery. It's always interesting to see what kind of work is involved to produce a great product. Not easy work I'm sure but I appreciate the end product and I'll keep my windows rolled up in the summertime. In retrospect I should've titled the pic fortess of cordovan.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's great that you had a tour of the Horween tannery. It's always interesting to see what kind of work is involved to produce a great product. Not easy work I'm sure but I appreciate the end product and I'll keep my windows rolled up in the summertime. In retrospect I should've titled the pic fortess of cordovan.

Reminds me of an episode of Dirty Jobs.
    http://videos.howstuffworks.com/disc...hide-video.htm

9. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

These are some cool online videos of Horween shell cordovan

and here's a tour of Alden for those who haven't seen it:

Highly recommend!

10. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

So I purchased a pair of black double sole Brixton wingtip calf boots from Epaulet and have worn them maybe five times tops. Noticed today that the sole on the tips of the shoes have worn and the blacks has made way to show a wood like color (assuming this is the undyed leather). The black dye on the notion of the soles and on other places around the parameter of the sole is wearing already as well. Gotta say, I am a little emo about it. Will try to get some pictures up after but this cannot be normal is it?

11. djh

djh Senior member

Don't understand what your saying? The soles and sole edges are painted black and will obviously wear away with use... You can buy sole edge dressing to re-"paint" the edges but the soles are always going to show wear.

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

So I purchased a pair of black double sole Brixton wingtip calf boots from Epaulet and have worn them maybe five times tops. Noticed today that the sole on the tips of the shoes have worn and the blacks has made way to show a wood like color (assuming this is the undyed leather). The black dye on the notion of the soles and on other places around the parameter of the sole is wearing already as well. Gotta say, I am a little emo about it. Will try to get some pictures up after but this cannot be normal is it?
    Heel and sole egde dressing will do the trick.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Man I'm sorry to hear about this. You should probably just throw them away. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

No brainer. Ravello.
    Yep. Shell over calf/suede all day long.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Very nice and I am thinking of picking a pair up but I have to say I do not like the lack of versatility and room for taste in growth. Now money may not be a factor but you are missing out on some great patina if you got something like a PTB. Still, a lot of nice shoes.

LOL! Mac used to get panned about his socks on here all the time. Now people are asking where to get them. Nice shoes and socks Mac. [​IMG]

#winning

Nice shoe, great color. Wear in good health.

thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.