***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

[​IMG]

^^

You beat me to it. We really need to get this picture to the from of this thread since sizing questions will inevitably continue and this visual is a big help for that.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

So the Grant is right in the middle of the "true to size" vs "size down". Should I size up from my Truebalance Indy boots? I'm mostly concerned about length. Anyone have recommendations who have both? I'm considering my first pair of Alden cordovans (which have Grant last) but I'm afraid of sizing. 11D Indy's fit me great.
    The Grant is a bit tricky because the toe box is longer than most Alden shoes while the width is pretty much tts. Some will say its fits TTS but in my experience I had to size down. I wear a regular 12D dress shoe, 11.5D in Indy, 11.5 Barrie, and 11.5 in Grant. All fit great

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Playing with my phone waiting for wife while she's trying stuff on.
    Natural chromexcel from LS.
    [​IMG]

4. lambchop

lambchop Well-Known Member

So the Grant is right in the middle of the "true to size" vs "size down". Should I size up from my Truebalance Indy boots? I'm mostly concerned about length. Anyone have recommendations who have both?

I'm considering my first pair of Alden cordovans (which have Grant last) but I'm afraid of sizing. 11D Indy's fit me great.

I went TTS on the Grant and it fits perfect. I have boots in Barrie and Trubalance also. 10D in Barrie and 10.5D in Grant feels to me like nearly the exact same fit. I really like the Grant last. It's like a slightly more refined Barrie shape.

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

salt or road salt is very hazardous to shell

Salt is "hazardous" to any organic material - period.

But, shell resists salt far better than calf (or other hides that I've seen used to make shoes - not sure about exotics). Does that mean that you shouldn't try to avoid salt - No. Does that mean you don't need to wipe down a shoe after it's been exposed to salt - No.

I've lived in the North (NYC, then Boston and for the last 25 years in Chicago) and I've worn shell cordovan starting with the pair I got from Brooks Brothers when I was in HS (and my wife and kids will tell you that was a long time ago). Shell is better than calf.

6. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I just grabbed a pair of the Whiskey shell short wings from Tassel's HK - beautiful shoes with an embarrassing price tag (shipping and duty alone are chokers).

Decided to re-fi!

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Alden for Winn Perry:

[​IMG]

8. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

I just grabbed a pair of the Whiskey shell short wings from Tassel's HK - beautiful shoes with an embarrassing price tag (shipping and duty alone are chokers).

I'm thinking of either refinancing my mortgage or selling my unused size 9 B/D 4X4s from LS (made with Color 4 shell) - before I list them on eBay (or B&S) I want to give you guys an opportunuity to buy them.

PM if you are interested and include a price you are willing to pay (I know this is "unconventional" but these are pretty special shoes).

The Sasquatch of the Alden world is for sale. I own a pair of the #4 4x4's and the hue of the shell is fantastic. Forgive me 'cause I know I posted some pics before, but here's a few more and good luck with you're sale of the #4 4x4's. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 1969

1969 Senior member

10. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I'm thinking of either refinancing my mortgage or selling my unused size 9 B/D 4X4s from LS (made with Color 4 shell) - before I list them on eBay (or B&S) I want to give you guys an opportunuity to buy them.

PM if you are interested and include a price you are willing to pay (I know this is "unconventional" but these are pretty special shoes).

Great pair. I picked those whiskey shortwings up a couple years back as seconds. Enjoy wearing.

11. REguy

REguy Senior member

They look so much better on the Aberdeen than the Barrie. Can you share the price with us?
    [​IMG]

12. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Alden for Winn Perry:

[​IMG]

Beautiful, what's the leather?

13. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

14. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

They look so much better on the Aberdeen than the Barrie. Can you share the price with us?

6300 HK$ plus 400 HK$ shipping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.