***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

PS to anyone who has black shell, is it worth it over black calf?

Same question.

2. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

My opinion of shell vs. calf?

Shell all day.

Shell is shinier and more durable but for black shoes, sometimes you may want it more matte actually depending on the style.

4. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Patiently waiting to buy a pair of natural chromoexcel Indy's and some sort of Whisky's.

PS to anyone who has black shell, is it worth it over black calf?

I was researching this issue a while back and found this discussion: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...at-s-the-point

here's a sample from that discussion: "'black shell cordovan is the only black shoe material that I have seen that actually improves with time (in my opinion). There is a depth to the material that calfskin cant duplicate. Even though its black, the shell material has some subtleties, especially though the creases, that look great. I have several Alden black shell cordovan shoes, and they are among my favorites, and all the little scuffs and nicks just add to their character' ... 'Cordovan is certainly more expensive. But once owning a pair, you'll soon find yourself considering more. Black shell cordovan will achieve a nice clean polish hard to emulate with calf. Better still, cordovan shoes do not develop hairline creases, which I find detract considerably.'"

That sort of matches up with Medihound's comment concerning one's desire for a matte versus a shiny finish.

It would be great to hear from others who own black shell cordovan shoes.

5. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

I have 7 pair of shell Alden shoes. One of the reasons I love the shell is the durability as well as how it looks even after years of wear and tear. I am hard on shoes. Living in Chicago, they get exposed to wet, snow, road salt etc. I also spend time in a factory that is fairly dirty. With a little wax and occasional wipe down, they look better than the did when they were new.
    I only have one pair in black but when looking for another pair of black shoes, I would lean toward shell every time if available.
    Just my .02

Kenal0

6. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

I understand that shell is amazing- I own 3 pairs of shell Aldens already. I was just wondering whether the richness that comes with other shell colors, and justifies the price, is the same with black shell cordo.

I guess people agree that black cordo is THAT much better than calf?

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

8. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

I know that a cobbler or Alden can alway put on a commando sole, but how easy is it to remove a stock commando for some leather soles? If this is possible, anyone have a price estimate?

9. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

$140 for Alden to do it - they throw in a new pair of shoe trees at that price. Any decent cobbler can probably do it for less (although my shoes go back to Alden). That's why you buy welted shoes.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello nst
    argyles otc

11. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

[​IMG] ravello nst argyles otc
    How do you get your cordovan to crease so little? It always seems like your shoes have very few of the characteristic creases. Does it have to do with the MacMethod polish?

12. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

How do you get your cordovan to crease so little? It always seems like your shoes have very few of the characteristic creases. Does it have to do with the MacMethod polish?

It has to do with the 1 megapixel camera.

13. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I understand that shell is amazing- I own 3 pairs of shell Aldens already. I was just wondering whether the richness that comes with other shell colors, and justifies the price, is the same with black shell cordo.

I guess people agree that black cordo is THAT much better than calf?

Black shell is that much better than calf for dress shoes. For more casual shoes it really becomes a matter of preference (and what look you are trying to achieve). Black shells take and hold a shine unlike most other leathers - that may not be important on a pair of black Indy boots.

One additional note - shell cordovan is impervious to certain environmental situations (for those of us in northern climates road salt can be very damaging -it can ruin a pair of calf shoes but does not impact shell).

My father taught me a lesson in fashion (and economy) - buy fewer finer things. Go with shell.

14. nbernie

nbernie Senior member

One additional note - shell cordovan is impervious to certain environmental situations (for those of us in northern climates road salt can be very damaging -it can ruin a pair of calf shoes but does not impact shell).

I'm in NH so this is actually huge for me. Case closed.

15. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

I suggest you guys take a look here...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=230413

[​IMG]

Mr.Moo,
    Saw the thread you started. What else can be said besides that really sucks. The "insult to injury" is that you said they don't have a replacement in your size

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.