Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

In my opinion, not good. If you are going to use them in ice and snow then consider having your local shoe guy out on a commando type sole. kenal0
    Disagree, sort of. They're not ideal for ice and show, but I think they do well enough. Put it this way -- they're versatile enough to work outside in snow, and indoors in a semi-casual office environment or social settings. Edit: when I got mine re-heeled recently, my cobbler put on a heel that maintains the reasonably sleek profile, but grips snow better, which is an excellent compromise.

2. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

regular wingtips (either blucher or bal) are made by practically every shoe maker in the world. Longwings are made only by a few, and Alden makes the most "iconic" one (at the moment). The design itself also considered to be American, and Americana is [zoolander]so hot right now[/zoolander]. Shortwings are certainly not American in origin.

PS I hate the term shortwing. its stupid

In fact I believe the European term for longwing is "American Brogue."

Alden's longwings have been a staple shoe of theirs, traditionally. Wish stockists would get the cordovan longwings off the Barrie and on to the Leydon or other sleeker last. (!)

3. AKMarkB

AKMarkB Member

Well, I'll be using them for just about everything but hiking. What leather is the toughest? I can see me using them on my motorcycle from time to time as well. Which is the best all around boot I guess would be my question?

4. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Did you size down 1/2 size on the grant as you would have with the barrie?

Nice looking shoes! Love how versatile the PTB is dress 'em up or down.

Sorry to change th subject but does anyone know how the cork soles on the Indy boots do on ice and snow?

Thanks, I kept seeing the PTBs on here and it made me pull the trigger on a pair. So far, so good with them!

Yes, I sized down 1/2. I have 3 other shoes on the grant last - wingtip and captoe boots in 9E and cigar NST loafers in 9.5D and they all fit. I took a chance and ordered these since they were available in 8.5E and they seem to fit beautifully. I'll report back after wearing them once or twice.

The Indy boot soles suck on ice and snow in my opinion.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

In fact I believe the European term for longwing is "American Brogue." Alden's longwings have been a staple shoe of theirs, traditionally. Wish stockists would get the cordovan longwings off the Barrie and on to the Leydon or other sleeker last. (!)
    I can't agree more. The Barrie last just doesn't fit me well. I'd take basically any last over the Barrie. A Leydon, Hampton, Grant, Snap, Plaza, or Copley lasted longwing would kick so much ass.

6. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Rocking my new #8 PTBs today. Since we're talking about shortwings, I am posting my new #8 shortwings on the Grant last that I haven't worn yet. Just kopped 'em. I was stoked to find shortwings on something other than the Barrie, and I happen to love the Grant.

With the short and longwing debate, I am not sure why folks seem to like the longwings better...I happen to have love for both!

Enoy the PTB. I does seem to be gaining in popularity (at least on this board) and really works much better in person than one would expect. Because it is free of adornment, it is the best shoe to really show off the depth of color of shell.

7. velomane

velomane Senior member

Thanks. I'm looking at the Hawaiian Tanks but I'm not sure I like the split toe. The Kudo is nice but a little to rugged for indoor/outdoor use.

A couple months ago, someone posted some pics of theirs taken while travelling, maybe in Peru? Anyway, I thought they looked pretty good, so I've got a pair of #8 shells on preorder with Tom.

8. marg

marg Senior member

color 8 tankers look sickkkk

9. ElliottPapineau

ElliottPapineau Senior member

regular wingtips (either blucher or bal) are made by practically every shoe maker in the world. Longwings are made only by a few, and Alden makes the most "iconic" one (at the moment). The design itself also considered to be American, and Americana is [zoolander]so hot right now[/zoolander]. Shortwings are certainly not American in origin.

PS I hate the term shortwing. its stupid

^also stupid.

10. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

I am thinking of making my next purchase, and go for the grand slam by adding some ravello to my collection of #8 BB LHS, Whiskey NSTs, and Cigar Chukkas - any recommendation on whether I should go with the LWB or PTB in ravello? Thanks and love the thread!

11. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I am thinking of making my next purchase, and go for the grand slam by adding some ravello to my collection of #8 BB LHS, Whiskey NSTs, and Cigar Chukkas - any recommendation on whether I should go with the LWB or PTB in ravello? Thanks and love the thread!

I love the look of my Ravello PTB, but since you do not have a LWB yet, that would be my vote.

12. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

Thanks Chris - I am leaning that way. I have really appreciated all your shoe pics throughout this thread!

13. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Sorry to change th subject but does anyone know how the cork soles on the Indy boots do on ice and snow?

In my opinion, not good. If you are going to use them in ice and snow then consider having your local shoe guy out on a commando type sole.

kenal0

Disagree, sort of. They're not ideal for ice and show, but I think they do well enough. Put it this way -- they're versatile enough to work outside in snow, and indoors in a semi-casual office environment or social settings.

Edit: when I got mine re-heeled recently, my cobbler put on a heel that maintains the reasonably sleek profile, but grips snow better, which is an excellent compromise.

What exactly is the advantage of a cork sole, besides versatility? Cushioning?

14. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

I can't agree more. The Barrie last just doesn't fit me well. I'd take basically any last over the Barrie. A Leydon, Hampton, Grant, Snap, Plaza, or Copley lasted longwing would kick so much ass.

Glad someone else feels this way. Epaulet has their natural cxl longwing and suede longwings on the Leydon last, and they look fantastic.

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Glad someone else feels this way. Epaulet has their natural cxl longwing and suede longwings on the Leydon last, and they look fantastic.

I saw that and almost purchased a pair. Had they been shell I would have bought on the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.