***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

New addition to my Alden collection. Cigar shell Indy
    Attachment 60545

Kenal0

Nice! Where did you buy those?

http://www.jgilbertfootwear.com/

Kenal0

You can also go to this link where they show what sizes they have in stock in both cigar and color 8:

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...y_Boot_243.htm

Don't know why Alden of Carmel also shows inventory for Blackbird and J. Gilbert though.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Don't know why Alden of Carmel also shows inventory for Blackbird and J. Gilbert though.

Yeah, I don't get why that is either.

3. REguy

REguy Senior member

REguy is up for man of the year!

Ha! Not a big deal. It's amazing what you can do with a slow Friday afternoon. I can't believe Alden never produced something like this for marketing purposes. I only hope it's accurate.

Nothing beats trying shoes on in person though. I've had Aldens that were on the same last but fit very differently. I've also sometimes noticed a difference depending on the material (calf vs. shell) as well as whether the shoe was lined or unlined.

4. phototristan

What are peoples opinions of longwings versus shortwing wintips? I know Alden long wings seem to be more sought after but why is that?

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Yeah, I don't get why that is either.

Adam from Alden of Carmel consults with those retailers on their Alden lines.

6. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's good know.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

And I'd say downsize 1/2 size for the Grant. [​IMG]

yep. too long in the toes

8. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

What are peoples opinions of longwings versus shortwing wintips? I know Alden long wings seem to be more sought after but why is that?

For me, it is because most Alden shortwings are Balmorals (Tom's recent Ravello shortwings being a notable exception) and most Alden longwings are Bluchers and I prefer Bluchers.

9. phototristan

For me, it is because most Alden shortwings are Balmorals (Tom's recent Ravello shortwings being a notable exception) and most Alden longwings are Bluchers and I prefer Bluchers.

Makes sense. I prefer bluchers also although if I had to wear a suit for work every day I would probably prefer balmorals. There's just something really nice and sleek about balmorals with a suit, even though you can wear bluchers with a suit.

10. rick

rick Senior member

they look cool lol

11. borderline

borderline Senior member

How do you pronounce blucher?

Is it blooker or blutcher?

12. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Nice. To keep them company, here are my cigar NST's.

By the way, for everyone asking about sizing in different lasts, here is some food for thought: for me, in thicker socks these NST's in 10E are just a bit snug in the toe box, while my Color 8 Chukka's in 10D feel roomy in the thickest socks I own. Both are made on the Barrie last. Different socks, different time of day, different lacing, different shoes, worker ate a different breakfast the day they made them... who knows. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances...

I can +1 this. I picked up the Cigar NST from Shoemart in 9.5E (barrie last) and it measures about 3/16" narrower than my Cigar LWB size 9.5D also on the barrie last. So you aren't imagining things.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I can +1 this. I picked up the Cigar NST from Shoemart in 9.5E (barrie last) and it measures about 3/16" narrower than my Cigar LWB size 9.5D also on the barrie last. So you aren't imagining things.
    Same. I posted about this several times. I returned my Cigar NST from Shoemart because they were too snug for me. Measured side by side with other Barrie last Alden's I have...they were a bit shorter and narrower.

14. Woodyear

Woodyear Senior member

What is this leathersoul deadline im hearing about for ordering? What are they taking preorders for? I need to order something in a c width pronto.

15. Renton

Renton Senior member

What is this leathersoul deadline im hearing about for ordering? What are they taking preorders for? I need to order something in a c width pronto.

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...february-2011/

The deadline is Feb 28th

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.