***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Bullshit. Some lasts won't fit a foot no matter how much you screw around with width and length. Sizing is really simple. Get the length right, then fit the width at the ball of your foot. If the shoe still doesn't fit, the last isn't compatible with your foot shape. People spend way too much money and time trying to find work-arounds to get incompatible lasts to fit. It's better to walk away from a so-so fitting shoe.
    Alden does not use the same last for every shoe. Do you really think it's possible for every Alden last not to fit someone? Not real likely.
    You mention nothing about lasts in your post. You said "Alden's can really fit virtually anyone if you get the proper size." That's clearly bullshit, and that's what I took exception to. Now you mention lasts, after I did. Nice ninja edit. Too bad I quoted what you actually wrote.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

FYI, sorry if this is a repeat post, but trying to pass on a decent deal when I find it. Alden / Orvis Aviator Boot on sale from $425 to $339. Not trying to shill for Orvis, but have had a pair for a couple years and they are wearing great. Nice Indy Boot alternative. If you ask them nicely they will usually waive shipping.

The sale does seem like a good deal. I wish I liked Nubuck...

3. phototristan

You mention nothing about lasts in your post. You said "Alden's can really fit virtually anyone if you get the proper size." That's clearly bullshit, and that's what I took exception to. Now you mention lasts, after I did.

The original poster said 'Alden's don't fit me well'. Hence my response to that.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The original poster said 'Alden's don't fit me well'. Hence my response to that.

The correct and thoughtful reply would have been "what lasts have you tried? Maybe check out some more." Instead you suggested the person hadn't been fitted correctly.

5. phototristan

The correct and thoughtful reply would have been "what lasts have you tried? Maybe check out some more." Instead you suggested the person hadn't been fitted correctly.

Because obviously, he hasn't been.

6. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Posted these a while back but I am beginning to realise they are just slightly too big for me. So, they are up for sale. Check my sig/PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

7. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Posted these a while back but I am beginning to realise they are just slightly too big for me. So, they are up for sale. Check my sig/PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

Damn nice boots...

8. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

A little off topic but Makr put some of the Alden Shell thin flap wallets up on their site today.
    Picked one up myself and also ordered a pair of Cigar Indy boots with Commando sole from Gilbert.
    Too bad I don't have any money left to carry in the wallet after these purchases.

Kenal0

Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Do you have a link to the ones from Gilbert? I'd like to check them out.

I also just picked up a pair of Cigar Indy's from J. Gilbert, but they only have a photo of the Color 8 on their website. Here's a photo of mine on their first day out. I really like the commando sole for the rain, and Yenni was great to deal with.
    [​IMG]

9. afterglow

afterglow Well-Known Member

I'm itching to get a pair of longwings but can't decide on a color.

I already have the Ultimate Indy in kudu, and the chukka and LHS in #8. I'm tempted to get the LWB in #8 also since I love the color and the versatility but something's telling me to go with a different color for variety.

I'm in casual or business casual 95% of the time so it's jeans, khakis or a shirt and trousers (usually some shade of grey) most of the time.

Which color should I get?

10. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

judging by your handle, I'd say whiskey or ravello...

11. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

I'm itching to get a pair of longwings but can't decide on a color.

Which color should I get?

Unless you are committed to shell cordovan, you can pick up a beautiful pair of tan calf longwing seconds (barrie last) from Shoemart for $289- brand new. I think they are basically seconds from the JCrew run, but they look fantastic.

In my opinion, a more casual shoe like a longwing blucher looks great in calf (or even suede).

[​IMG]

12. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

Hey,

Anybody get that email from Winn Perry? I always wanted to visit the store but it's such a long distance from Vegas. Jordan was a really helpful guy, too. Shout's out to Jordan, his staff and the way he did things.

http://winnperry.com/

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Hey,

Anybody get that email from Winn Perry? I always wanted to visit the store but it's such a long distance from Vegas. Jordan was a really helpful guy, too. Shout's out to Jordan, his staff and the way he did things.

http://winnperry.com/

Yeah that was sad to see.
    Jordan did right by me with a screwed up pre-order. I wish him well.

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ Ditto. Jordan's a stand-up guy.

15. Kenal0

Kenal0 Active Member

I also just picked up a pair of Cigar Indy's from J. Gilbert, but they only have a photo of the Color 8 on their website. Here's a photo of mine on their first day out. I really like the commando sole for the rain, and Yenni was great to deal with.

Thanks for the pic. I am hoping mine look that color. The commando sole is important as the regular original Indys I have are like very slippery in the snow. I do not wear them if it is going to be icy or snowy. These new ones should fit the bill.

Kenal0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.