Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Distinguished Member

2. Dewey

Dewey Distinguished Member

Is there any-way to prevent the speedhooks from catching? Can you send them to alden and have them replace them with eyelets?

I've seen before/after photos from members who have done this -- had them replaced by alden -- but honestly it does not happen (the pants catching) often at all, so I will never bother.

3. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior Member

I love them but I have not worn them since I bought them last Saturday. I live in New Brunswick and if you knew where that was and what the weather is like here, you would not wear your $450 to 500 boots in this weather. Will have to wait until this place melts\\dries up . . .

I think I will leave my Brixtons at work when I get them though so I can wear them more.

What do you wear your 403s with in terms of pants\\trousers?

Hahaha...I am actually in Toronto....it sometimes seem the street salt Mecca...

I guess my philosophy is different...I plan to wear the 403s in all sorts of weather--sunshine, gloom, rain, snow, hail, sleet...bring it on. In fact, I plan to take them to the cobblers and ask to attach a very thin rubber sole for better grip on snow/ice....They're Indys--they're meant to take a beating....

Like I said, I have an office job for now...but I'll be in the"field" in Alberta soon, and I'll post a pic of getting into a helicopter in the middle of nowhere while wearing Indys [​IMG] If I wasn't the newbie here, I could have asked to be sent to the gigs in Yemen or Madagascar instead.....Yemen in Indys is pretty close to the spirit of Indiana Jones, isn't it? [​IMG]

Anyways, I'll post a few pics of Indys being used in the Indy spirit--give me a few weeks [​IMG]

4. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

I think the vintage jumpers will start to show some more character when the leather wears in a little. The CXL looks great right out of the box.
    Can everyone do me a solid and stop calling them jumpers? A jumper is something an infant wears.

These are supposed to be JUMP BOOTS as far as I can tell and are fashioned after US Army Jump boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_boot

I am not sure if they are still in use in the Army but any soldier from the 80's would be familiar with them.

5. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

Can everyone do me a solid and stop calling them jumpers? A jumper is something an infant wears. These are supposed to be JUMP BOOTS as far as I can tell and are fashioned after US Army Jump boot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_boot I am not sure if they are still in use in the Army but any soldier from the 80’s would be familiar with them.
    Speaking of this, I'm sorta annoyed that the 405/403/404 is commonly referred to as the 'Indy' boot. The 405 was around long before the Indiana Jones movies.

6. Dewey

Dewey Distinguished Member

^ glad you are only sorta annoyed. it would suck to be truly annoyed by such a thing

7. Guus

Guus Senior Member

Got to try on the "Indy" today but unfortunatley, I couldn't afford to buy them. I do now know why they are 450$! Very comfortable. Also found out why they're called "Indy"

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

Got to try on the "Indy" today but unfortunatley, I couldn't afford to buy them. I do now know why they are 450$! Very comfortable. Also found out why they're called "Indy"
    Gotcha....... [​IMG] .... good to hear

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

You can get indys for under 300 from the shoemart irregulars emails or from ebay. Just wait a little while and youll find something in your size. Atleast you tried them on and know your size. Thats half the battle when first buying Aldens

10. i10casual

i10casual Senior Member

Also found out why they're called "Indy"

big rock come out of nowhere, roll'in at you after you put both feet in?

11. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

If you think they are expensive, try looking at some Alden Cordovan models. Suddenly the 'Indys' sound inexpensive!

12. kraig

kraig Member

Can everyone do me a solid and stop calling them jumpers? A jumper is something an infant wears.

These are supposed to be JUMP BOOTS as far as I can tell and are fashioned after US Army Jump boot.

I am not sure if they are still in use in the Army but any soldier from the 80's would be familiar with them.

thanks for the info

13. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

If you think they are expensive, try looking at some Alden Cordovan models. Suddenly the 'Indys' sound inexpensive!

I'll play. If you think any Aldens are expensive, take a look at some of the stuff in the MC section. [​IMG]

14. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Please keep me posted. I am babying them for now though as this is the most I have ever spent on footwear so I want to take care of them.

15. joz411no

joz411no Senior Member

You do realize that by admitting that it annoys you that that in and of itself is an invitation to have someone here use it to do just that?

Speaking of this, I'm sorta annoyed that the 405/403/404 is commonly referred to as the 'Indy' boot. The 405 was around long before the Indiana Jones movies.

As for the 405's, I think even representatives of Alden periodically refer to them as the "Indy." It certainly can't hurt the marketability of the their footwear by relating them to one of the highest grossing films of all time, and being worn by one of the best known actors of the past 35 years. But to you both, it does speak volumes to your passion for Alden. As this is the place to exercise your appreciation I don't think many here would take issue with your positions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.