Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

The Shoe Mart kinda pisses me off. I emailed them a question and got no reply. So, they won't get my business...

you need to realize that not all business are set up to handle email nearly as well as they phone calls. meet them half way, give them a call, and Im sure they will help you

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

you need to realize that not all business are set up to handle email nearly as well as they phone calls. meet them half way, give them a call, and Im sure they will help you

If that's the case, they shouldn't put a contact form right on their website:

http://www.theshoemart.com/contact/c-contact.html

3. borderline

borderline Senior member

I have three with a few coming:

Alden-JCrew longwing, dark brown (the gateway shoe)
    Alden longwing, #8
    Alden unlined suede chukka, tan

On order:
    Alden-Leffot longwing, Ravello (spring)
    Alden-LSH chukka, chromexcel (summer)

Help me decide for the next pair: Cigar PTB or Cigar NST?

4. phototristan

5. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Help me decide for the next pair: Cigar PTB or Cigar NST?

PTB - one of Alden's best but most underated shoes, we've been talking on the board a lot lately about how great these shoes look.

6. Burra

Burra Active Member

Having some concerns about my 405 purchase.

I bought them in November from a store (tempted to say who but not sure if I should at this stage, not a regular name on this thread, don't worry) and was told it would be a 12 week wait, as I wanted a 9 EE, and they had to be ordered.

I kept emailing regularly, and was told at the end of December they were being cut, and then mid January that the shoes were on target for delivery in 6 weeks (next week).

Now I have asked again, and there is a 6-8 week delay. First I was told by the shop that it was due to a leather shortage. I questioned that based on the previous emails, and they came back and said that they asked Alden again, and it was due to the Lasting process taking longer or something.

Apparently it is due to demand etc.

I am pretty pissed off at this stage, as I have never waited so bloody long for a pair of shoes.

Has anyone heard anything, or is this not unusual or what? I am a little concerned, but don't know whether to make a fuss or not. I can't wait for them to turn up, but can't wait another 6-8 weeks either.

7. phototristan

Having some concerns about my 405 purchase.

I bought them in November from a store (tempted to say who but not sure if I should at this stage, not a regular name on this thread, don't worry) and was told it would be a 12 week wait, as I wanted a 9 EE, and they had to be ordered.

I kept emailing regularly, and was told at the end of December they were being cut, and then mid January that the shoes were on target for delivery in 6 weeks (next week).

Now I have asked again, and there is a 6-8 week delay. First I was told by the shop that it was due to a leather shortage. I questioned that based on the previous emails, and they came back and said that they asked Alden again, and it was due to the Lasting process taking longer or something.

Apparently it is due to demand etc.

I am pretty pissed off at this stage, as I have never waited so bloody long for a pair of shoes.

Has anyone heard anything, or is this not unusual or what? I am a little concerned, but don't know whether to make a fuss or not. I can't wait for them to turn up, but can't wait another 6-8 weeks either.

You might see if you can cancel your order. The Alden shop in San Francisco has those in stock right now: http://aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=109

Looks like The Shoe Mart does too: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._workboot.html

8. phototristan

9. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

10. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

Has anyone seen the NST Tankers in Cigar Shell? If so, any leads on where I might look for a pair would be much appreciated. I need a size 9.5D. Thank you!

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Had a great experience with Alden fixing the 405 sole separation issue I posted about two months ago. I shipped the boots to them, they resoled them and shipped them back in an Alden box with new laces at no cost to me. Repair looks great and now I just need to get on beating them up so the welt doesn't look so glaringly brand new.

If anyone from Alden reads this, thanks for the great service. I have three pairs of your boots and wish I could afford more.

12. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Help me order tomorrow:

Ravello NST boot, cigar longwing or Ravello chukka?

I have a whiskey nst shoe and a cigar on order, chukkas in cigar and #8, and longwings in whiskey and ravello.

Thoughts?

My vote goes to the Cigar LWB

[​IMG]
    By ststegall at 2011-02-17[/IMG]

13. phototristan

I'm considering the JCrew longwings or Color 8 Cordovan longwings. wondering what people's opinions are on each. Ie. is it worth the extra money for the cordovans? I can only afford one at this time.

14. borderline

borderline Senior member

I'm considering the JCrew longwings or Color 8 Cordovan longwings. wondering what people's opinions are on each. Ie. is it worth the extra money for the cordovans? I can only afford one at this time.

I have both, and here's my opinion. The #8 are far better. Totally worth the extra money. The dark brown JCrew is not that interesting. BUT I like having them because sometimes I want to wear the less expensive ones. They are more subtle, less-flashy, because they are not as shiny. So it depends. The #8 seem more dressy and the JCrew brown are more under the radar.

15. phototristan

I have both, and here's my opinion. The #8 are far better. Totally worth the extra money. The dark brown JCrew is not that interesting. BUT I like having them because sometimes I want to wear the less expensive ones. They are more subtle, less-flashy, because they are not as shiny. So it depends. The #8 seem more dressy and the JCrew brown are more under the radar.

Thanks for the input, makes sense. I don't have any Cordovan shoes so maybe I should spring for them. The cap toe #8 boots look pretty good to me too. Decisions decisions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.