1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renton

Renton Senior Member

Length of relationship, amount purchased, if you're a nice person [​IMG] , if you actually visited us or are a local customer, etc. All of those things are considered. We have about 5000 customers in our database so it's really hard for us to make everyone happy. Sorry to be so blunt about it.

No need to apologize, I like a concise answer. Hopefully putting my money in for a few of the boot preorders will start me down that long and lonely path.

2. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Distinguished Member

So chances of me finding cordovans in my size if I randomly go to the BH branch are slim to none, huh? I understand, gotta keep the loyal customers happy.

Almost zero chance at LSW but very good chance of random pairs at LSBH. In fact, I believe there's a few pairs available now.

No need to apologize, I like a concise answer. Hopefully putting my money in for a few of the boot preorders will start me down that long and lonely path.

Really don't want to make people think they need to buy to get a chance. The main thing is relationships and (sorry to say since we're in Hawaii) being an in-store or local customer.

There's plenty of whiskey, ravello, and cigar at the Shoe Mart!

3. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Distinguished Member

Not as impressive as Zippy's (I cheat) but here's my current list: #8 Shell Barrie NST Barrie Unlined PTB Barrie 2 Tone Saddle Van LHS Trubalance Indy Leydon Chukka Aberdeen Long Vamp Loafer Black Shell Barrie Chukka Barrie V-Tip Cigar Shell Trubalance Indy Ravello Shell Barrie Chukka Barrie Shortwing Whiskey Shell Barrie NST #4 Shell Barrie 4 Eyelet PTB Barrie 2 Tone Saddle Blucher Suede Barrie Tan Unlined Chukka Barrie Navy Unlined PTB Barrie Snuff NST Barrie Snuff PTB Barrie Snuff Shortwing Leydon Dark Brown Unlined Chukka Calf Barrie Chestnut/Navy Suede Saddle Plaza Black Patent PTBal Plaza Burgundy Attorney Shoe Plaza Chestnut Wingtip Bal Hampton Burgundy Flex V-Tip Modified Black V-Tip Modified Brown Perf Tip Blucher Tom Loden Flex Ranger Trubalance Brown Chromexcel Chukka Cape Cod Black Boat Shoe

4. MiniW

MiniW Distinguished Member

Tom, you're a swell guy. I'm sure that if you could, you would bless us all on SF with a pair of Ravello shell NST monk straps. Personally I don't mind that all the special make ups are not so easily attainable. If it were so, then everyone here with enough money would probably have all the same shoes. As it stands, there will always be that special pair of Aldens that each individual here is coveting and keeping a constant eye out for. Because of this, when someone finally obtains that pair, it makes it all that much sweeter.

5. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior Member

6. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Sorry guys. I'll be perfectly honest with you. We directly contact people when we get stuff like whiskey, #4, ravello, etc. (Unless it's for a special event such as our grand opening or anniversary, etc.) I wish we could accommodate the general public but we can't.

To think that there is so much demand for $500-700 shoes is quite amazing.

We probably tend not to think about it that way, but to the outsider, imagine the thought of it.

7. poly800rock

poly800rock Distinguished Member

We probably tend not to think about it that way, but to the outsider, imagine the thought of it.

i'll also be honest in saying I don't exactly strike up conversations with the SA every time I go into a new store...

8. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

Not as impressive as Zippy's (I cheat) but here's my current list:

lol totally unfair ...

9. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior Member

From the perspective of someone who runs a medium sized business... when you couple a 9 month wait (and often 3 months for "stock" shoes) can you imagine them NOT having a price increase?

And, remember... their customer base has probably dropped in age by 20 years or more, which is very healthy for business.

10. borderline

borderline Senior Member

No longwings at all?

Not as impressive as Zippy's (I cheat) but here's my current list:

#8 Shell
    Barrie NST
    Barrie Unlined PTB
    Barrie 2 Tone Saddle
    Van LHS
    Trubalance Indy
    Leydon Chukka
    Aberdeen Long Vamp Loafer

Black Shell
    Barrie Chukka
    Barrie V-Tip

Cigar Shell
    Trubalance Indy

Ravello Shell
    Barrie Chukka
    Barrie Shortwing

Whiskey Shell
    Barrie NST

#4 Shell
    Barrie 4 Eyelet PTB
    Barrie 2 Tone Saddle Blucher

Suede
    Barrie Tan Unlined Chukka
    Barrie Navy Unlined PTB
    Barrie Snuff NST
    Barrie Snuff PTB
    Barrie Snuff Shortwing
    Leydon Dark Brown Unlined Chukka

Calf
    Barrie Chestnut/Navy Suede Saddle
    Plaza Black Patent PTBal
    Plaza Burgundy Attorney Shoe
    Plaza Chestnut Wingtip Bal
    Hampton Burgundy Flex V-Tip
    Modified Black V-Tip
    Modified Brown Perf Tip Blucher
    Tom Loden Flex Ranger
    Trubalance Brown Chromexcel Chukka
    Cape Cod Black Boat Shoe

11. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

i wonder what tom's ENTIRE shoe collection looks like since he def has to have at least a few from all the other nice brands he carries

12. number9dream

number9dream Senior Member

From the perspective of someone who runs a medium sized business... when you couple a 9 month wait (and often 3 months for "stock" shoes) can you imagine them NOT having a price increase?

And, remember... their customer base has probably dropped in age by 20 years or more, which is very healthy for business.

Great points! With so many people in their 20's and 30's investing in multiple pairs of quality shoes, Alden is solidifying its reputation for years to come. Alden's willingness to craft "special run" shoes designed by retailers who possess an updated fashion sense (Leather Soul, Epaulet, Blackbird, etc) has greatly contributed to their revitalization. The styles are still classic, but their presentation is updated and semi-exclusive.

Allen Edmonds (whose shoes I quite like for my day-to-day professional needs) could take a few pointers from Alden in this regard. The AE design team is too stodgy, too midwestern (fur-lined pink leather slippers? really?!), too mired in mid-level management. If they opened up their design process to special-run retailers, maybe their sales would increase (and fewer SFers would wretch when they hear the name!)

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my special-run pre-ordered Hawaiian Tankers in brown Chromexcel from LS!!!

13. Renton

Renton Senior Member

There's plenty of whiskey, ravello, and cigar at the Shoe Mart!

Not if you need an e width. [​IMG]

14. cuteo101

cuteo101 Member

You made the most meaningful argument point and the best comment in this whole gigantic thread! Cheers! [​IMG]

Great points! With so many people in their 20's and 30's investing in multiple pairs of quality shoes, Alden is solidifying its reputation for years to come. Alden's willingness to craft "special run" shoes designed by retailers who possess an updated fashion sense (Leather Soul, Epaulet, Blackbird, etc) has greatly contributed to their revitalization. The styles are still classic, but their presentation is updated and semi-exclusive.

Allen Edmonds (whose shoes I quite like for my day-to-day professional needs) could take a few pointers from Alden in this regard. The AE design team is too stodgy, too midwestern (fur-lined pink leather slippers? really?!), too mired in mid-level management. If they opened up their design process to special-run retailers, maybe their sales would increase (and fewer SFers would wretch when they hear the name!)

In the meantime, I can't wait to get my special-run pre-ordered Hawaiian Tankers in brown Chromexcel from LS!!!

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Distinguished Member

Tom, you're a swell guy. I'm sure that if you could, you would bless us all on SF with a pair of Ravello shell NST monk straps. Personally I don't mind that all the special make ups are not so easily attainable. If it were so, then everyone here with enough money would probably have all the same shoes. As it stands, there will always be that special pair of Aldens that each individual here is coveting and keeping a constant eye out for. Because of this, when someone finally obtains that pair, it makes it all that much sweeter.

What size are you in the Hampton last? I have a pair of these sitting on my shelf looking sad they've never been worn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.