***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Sorry mick, but $200 markup?? c'mon

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Alden-Cigar-...item45f8978ce5

Yeah I saw that, great deal [​IMG]

Well, I saw a pair go for $905 in December, so if the market's there, then why not? If it does prove to be unreasonable - which I recognize it may well prove to be - then an interested party can do that trick where they click the "best offer" button and make me an offer.

Besides, eBay and paypal fees are usurious these days, so they'd end up with a huge chunk of change if i do sell them at any price. Worst case, I just say screw it, end the listing and have two pairs of cigar indys. There are worse problems to have.

It's possible at this point I'll sell them to a Forum member I've been discussing them with and end the listing anyways.

2. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Yeah, that did seem a bit high to me.

In his defense a similar pair sold for over $900 on ebay last month.

Nothing wrong with being hopeful. He is accepting best offers though.

Ha, thanks, I know it's nuts...but in a few weeks, they're going up between $20-$40 a pair anyways. Plus, if there's someone who wants them in an 'E' width and feels like they have to have them NOW, without waiting, then they're free to make an offer. Reasonable offers are most welcome.

I also put them up that high so people who aren't at all serious about acquiring them don't waste my time (like the clown who offered $499, or the guy who helpfully emailed me to advise me to lower my price, as "cigar indys are everywhere"), since this isn't a charity and I've no plans to give them away for a song.

3. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

why can't i ever seem to find sz 7.5 on ebay... [​IMG]

4. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Ha, thanks, I know it's nuts...but in a few weeks, they're going up between $20-$40 a pair anyways. Plus, if there's someone who wants them in an 'E' width and feels like they have to have them NOW, without waiting, then they're free to make an offer. Reasonable offers are most welcome.

I also put them up that high so people who aren't at all serious about acquiring them don't waste my time (like the clown who offered $499, or the guy who helpfully emailed me to advise me to lower my price, as "cigar indys are everywhere"), since this isn't a charity and I've no plans to give them away for a song.

Probably better luck with a foreign buyer at that price though. I absolutely agree with your comments on Paypal and eBay fees. I'm rather tired of it actually.
    BTW, you can set up the "Or Best Offer" option to automatically reject offers below a predetermined value

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Well-Known Member

I sold a pair of Leffot's Cigar Indy's last year on ebay that were hardly worn(didn't fit me right) and they ended up going for $20 less than what I paid and I have impeccable ebay history. If you saw a pair go for over $900, I'm wondering where in the hell those buyers were earlier in the year.

6. arrow

arrow Senior member

Bye bye my friends.... off to it's new master.

Alden x LeatherSoul Pitt Boots
    [​IMG]

Walk in Peace...

7. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Santa needed those $900 Indys for a special flower.

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

fwiw, I'm in the camp that says Alden should jack up it's prices on the rare shell colors, in an attempt to keep prices down on other things. now I don't have Alden financials so I don't know how big of an effect that would really have, I just think the market would support higher prices on ravello / whiskey / cigar

9. Dodo

Dodo Senior member

why can't i ever seem to find sz 7.5 on ebay... [​IMG]

me too [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

I have a couple of questions on Shell wingtip boots, if people can help me out.

Anyone know if there's a difference between Epaulet's "Brixton Boot" and the Shoemart "Bootmaekr Edition" 9 Eyelet Wing top Boot? They both are on the Barrie last. Are they essentially the same boot?

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Brixton/Detail
    http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._cordovan.html

Hard to tell what Ravello looks like in person - two different tones on each website. Is there a big difference between Ravello and Color 8? Contemplating picking up a pair before the price increase.

As for sizing, I'm a 10.5E or 11D in the Indy boot (Trubalance last) and 11D in the LS Safari Boot (Plaza last). What would be a good guess for a shell in the Barrie last?

Thanks,

Bob

11. djh

djh Senior member

^welt is different

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

"Snap"? I must have missed the memo on that one.

Snap last for sure. It's a BB specific last as far as I know. I have multiple pair of snap lasted, and hampton lasted, shoes in the same size. From the widest part of the toe box back, the snap is identical to the hampton. From the widest part forward, the hampton is slightly more pointy. I think the Hampton is better looking, but they fit the same, and the difference isn't that pronounced (you'd probably not be able to tell a difference unless you had the two in front of you to compare).

13. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Fit Q:

I've got a 12D Shell Wingtip (974), there's a little room in the length, but foot feels about right where it is. The laces, when tightened, pull the leather together and when you press on the laces, there's space between the leather and my foot.

I am having Sherman Brothers (great store, btw) find me a 12C or an 11.5D. Which would be the better option? I'm leaning towards the 12C at this point.

Thanks.

14. borderline

borderline Senior member

So I'm wearing my new whiskey caps yesterday and I'm looking at them thinking how much I love this color, so I log onto the TheShoeMart, click on the NST - and this morning they are at my door. Now that's a responsive crack dealer!

(And yes, I think whiskey seems to be getting a little darker)

I thought the recent Epaulet Whiskey LW were lighter than other versions I have seen in photos. But there are so many variables with photography and lighting. Here are some pictures of my new #8 LW. In artificial light they are very dark, but the sunlight really brings out the burgundy colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with flash:
    [​IMG]

15. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I thought the recent Epaulet Whiskey LW were lighter than other versions I have seen in photos. But there are so many variables with photography and lighting. Here are some pictures of my new #8 LW. In artificial light they are very dark, but the sunlight really brings out the burgundy colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with flash:
    [​IMG]

The bottom line is that they've probably been using the same dyes for many years, but that variation in the shells yields different final colors. I have #8s that look almost black, and another that is much more towards burgundy. (out of the box)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.