1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drewdoo41

drewdoo41 New Member

I agree with cfull, but can see all sides to the discussion. Personally, I am STOKED that Aldens is around and I can buy such a sweet looking shoe that's made here in the USA. I'm new to the forums, and to the idea of being better dressed and making more quality/fit conscious decisions about my wardrobe. I can't wait for my order for 403's to get here from Shoemart!

2. scb

scb Senior member

So I'm wearing my new whiskey caps yesterday and I'm looking at them thinking how much I love this color, so I log onto the TheShoeMart, click on the NST - and this morning they are at my door. Now that's a responsive crack dealer!

(And yes, I think whiskey seems to be getting a little darker)

I'm thinking of picking up something in whiskey before the price increase, but can't decide which. ptb, nst, lhs?

3. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I'm thinking of picking up something in whiskey before the price increase, but can't decide which. ptb, nst, lhs?

All are solid options. Do you have any of those styles in Ravello? If so, I would diversify your shoe collection and go with something different. If you don't have any of those I would get a longwing first, PTB second.

4. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

All are solid options. Do you have any of those styles in Ravello? If so, I would diverse of your shoe collection and go with something different. If you don't have any of those I would get a longwing first, PTB second.

I agree with the above, 100%. If you've got a Ravello PTB, get the Whiskey in longwing, etc...

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

So I'm wearing my new whiskey caps yesterday and I'm looking at them thinking how much I love this color, so I log onto the TheShoeMart, click on the NST - and this morning they are at my door. Now that's a responsive crack dealer!

(And yes, I think whiskey seems to be getting a little darker)

The darkening of whiskey has been talked about, but these are the first pics I think I have seen that really show the difference.

Nice post Chris. It's like you have Whiskey 1.0 and a Whiskey 2.0.

6. scb

scb Senior member

All are solid options. Do you have any of those styles in Ravello? If so, I would diverse of your shoe collection and go with something different. If you don't have any of those I would get a longwing first, PTB second.
    got the cigar PTB a little over a year ago and a ravello chukka is on the way. I also have a longwing in natural chromexcel, suede boot posted a page or 2 back and the LS kudu indy. Whiskey longwing sure looks nice, but I may be looking for something a little simpler. not sure

7. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

The darkening of whiskey has been talked about, but these are the first pics I think I have seen that really show the difference.

Nice post Chris. It's like you have Whiskey 1.0 and a Whiskey 2.0.

I will line up all my whiskey and ravello soon for a pic, as I believe that ravello is slightly darker also.

8. cheesecake

cheesecake Active Member

Does any retailer currently carry a cigar shell cordovan boot in either captoe or plain toe in either the true balance or barrie last?

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Does any retailer currently carry a cigar shell cordovan boot in either captoe or plain toe in either the true balance or barrie last?
    Closest one would be Epaulet with Cigar Indy's at the moment.

10. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Alden DC does a cigar shell cap toe on the grant last, but that may not be your cup of tea. Personally, I love my color 8 cap toes on the grant.

11. cuteo101

cuteo101 Member

Alden DC does a cigar shell cap toe on the grant last, but that may not be your cup of tea. Personally, I love my color 8 cap toes on the grant.

I thought their version was on Aberdeen last and commander sole. I bought one the other day from there.

12. framus

framus Active Member

The AldenDC store has/had grant last captoe #8. You probably bought the boots I tried on! I'm awaiting their #8 Indy in Trubalance last.

13. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I thought their version was on Aberdeen last and commander sole. I bought one the other day from there.

The cigar captoe boot at Alden DC store is on the Grant last. I have a pair.
    I believe Sherman Brothers made a captoe boot on the Abrdeen last.

14. cheesecake

cheesecake Active Member

How does the grant last compare to truebalance/barrie?

Hmm, seems like the grant last is similar to the barrie but TTS in regards to width. I'm not sure that this would be suitable for me.

15. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

lol, and where do you think these places buy their Alden's from? the Alden fairy, who is not effected by factory price increases?

and do you know Shoemart is an actual store you can walk into? I've done it!

Same here. If you are talking about H Stockton in Atlanta, I've already asked them about this and they say they will be affected by the increase.

lol, it's the evil Alden retailer cartel.

I'm pretty sure that retailers are locked into a set or minimum price.

i wish it was! but it's not just shoemart, and it's not just web pricing. it's across the board, web and brick and mortar operations

But it's not. The place local to me hasn't had a price increase and I called them and they said they're not raising their prices. Anyway, even before they did this people were paying 430 for the indy boot and this place is selling it for 385.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.