• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was clearly some heel wear but those uppers look brand new.... very nice shoes.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they were probably a pair that were pretty much new and the owner wanted commando soles put on them. nice pick up

samsterdam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
So I am thinking of picking up a pair of suede chukka boots.
For peeps that own them, have you had any issues with it rubbing your ankles in a weird way.
I remember years ago I bought a pair of short boots and wore them one time amnd never again b/c of the way the boot hit my ankle...very painful.

Any insight is appreciated.

I've got the snuff suede chukkas and have had nary an issue. I love them and wear them 3-4 times a week. Just beautiful.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
they were probably a pair that were pretty much new and the owner wanted commando soles put on them. nice pick up
That's what I'm thinking or at least using to justify the purchase
smile.gif
Paid less than a pair of ShoeMart seconds I was considering and got the bags and trees included so I'm happy. Now onto my next pair of Aldens...

k.laff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
lowrider's shoes were all from me when he used to live in Hawaii. Cigar Indy, Plaza Wingtip Boot, and 2 Tone Leydon V-Tip.

Thanks Tom! The V-Tip combo is stunning...

ak622

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and finally purchased my first pair of Aldens. A pair of black calf bluchers from Alden Shop out in SF and received them this afternoon. Upon inspection of the shoes, I found a few small nicks here and there but the worse was a cut on the right shoe that is almost an inch long. Safe to say I am quite disappointed on the quality control since its quite noticeable. I attached a picture below of the cut and I apologize for the lighting. I guess the question is, am I overreacting to the cuts/nicks on the uppers?

img_2114-0.jpg

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Looks insignificant. I get worse nicks than that from just wearing shoes for a couple of weeks.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
That looks more like an impression than a nick or cut in the leather. I can't really tell from the pic. If it actually is a cut, I'd send them back.
+1

Hard to tell from the pic but I cannot see it has penetrated the top skin of the leather.

If you think it has then send them back before you wear them. You will get marks on from packing and shipping but it should not damage the leather. I mean these are things you will wear on your feet so they are pretty tough.

Good luck.

hobo_ken

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get a pair of #8 wingtip boots on the plaza last? Kicking myself for missing that LS ship a while ago...

ak622

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Its definitely a cut, its almost like someone ran over it with an knife lightly and some parts are cut deeper. But you're right Ahab, i'll be wearing them on my feet so they're going to be pretty tough. I'll email them and see what they say, i like the shoes and they fit great so its just something pretty minor.

btw, I love this thread and I really want to have a pair of in #8s too!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my Winn Perry cap toe boots again today. The first time I wore them, I stated that they felt a bit narrow compared to other shoes/boots I have on the Barrie last.

I messed around with the lacing a bit and adjusted how/where I chose the speed hooks and they felt OK after that. It's pretty weird that the shoes felt too restrictive when I used the top speed hooks, but for the 2 other boots with speed hooks, I need to use the top speed hooks, otherwise they feel too loose.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo_ken
Anyone know where I can get a pair of #8 wingtip boots on the plaza last? Kicking myself for missing that LS ship a while ago...

Call yenni at J gilbert in seattle, might still be able to get on the preorder

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobo_ken

What size? We received a restock last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads