• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

granjamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
nyc, is not that far from from shoemart....

true. i don't live anywhere near there. i should have clarified with "when I have to buy I buy online from sheomart"

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the new Alden chukkas at J Crew... I was't a fan of the texture of the roughed out chukka... I much prefer Alden's normal suedes. Also, I wasn't too much of a fan of the cordovan chukka

Of all the J Crew makeups, the #8 captoe boots, the tobacco longwings and their version of the Indy look the best to me. Also their suede plain toe boots are also worth looking into. The Liquor Store also carries a few basic Aldens (#8 longwing, one of the loafers) if you guys just need somewhere to try some on.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
The Tannery. You used to be able to haggle with them for some pretty good deals. However, the last time I tried, they told me they no longer do that. Definitely check out the Harvard Square store on Brattle Street. The J. Crew men's store at the Copley Mall is worth a visit too. I believe it's the only other store outside of NYC that actually stocks Aldens.
The Tannery return policy is for store credit only, so take that into account.

From recent personal experience working with them, I found them frustrating to work with.

In the beginning of December, I bought a new pair of Indy Kuro's - my first Aldens. In less than a month and half, they developed a separation in the sole right at the arch. I called to discuss this issue and I was told they couldn't talk about it over the phone - I had to bring them into the store with my receipt. Took a week to find the receipt, then I went into the store. I talked to the manager. They would've replaced them with a new pair if they had them, but they didn't. I wonder if they had sold the pair in my size in the week it took me to find the receipt...

They were not sure when they would get a new shipment in - could be a six months - so much for my winter boots... Asked if I could get a refund so I could buy a replacement pair from another store right away, but they said that was not an option.

They said they had to talk to their Alden Rep, which took a couple of days. Alden wants me to ship them to them to be evaluated - either Alden will replace them or fix them. With all the snow and slush we've had in the Boston area I'm concerned that water or slush got between the vibram sole and the part it is glued to and could cause damage.

Another thing I find frustrating, the boots did not come with the Alden Dust bags. Since this was my first pair of Aldens, I was not aware that they came with them. If not for this great forum, I would not know they came with them. I'm not sure if they were inadvertently misplaced, but the manager is going to send me some.

TheD0n

Reaction score
5398724841_41912e4e7d.jpg

bbhewee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhatAboutBob
The Tannery return policy is for store credit only, so take that into account.

From recent personal experience working with them, I found them frustrating to work with.

In the beginning of December, I bought a new pair of Indy Kuro's - my first Aldens. In less than a month and half, they developed a separation in the sole right at the arch. I called to discuss this issue and I was told they couldn't talk about it over the phone - I had to bring them into the store with my receipt. Took a week to find the receipt, then I went into the store. I talked to the manager. They would've replaced them with a new pair if they had them, but they didn't. I wonder if they had sold the pair in my size in the week it took me to find the receipt...

They were not sure when they would get a new shipment in - could be a six months - so much for my winter boots... Asked if I could get a refund so I could buy a replacement pair from another store right away, but they said that was not an option.

They said they had to talk to their Alden Rep, which took a couple of days. Alden wants me to ship them to them to be evaluated - either Alden will replace them or fix them. With all the snow and slush we've had in the Boston area I'm concerned that water or slush got between the vibram sole and the part it is glued to and could cause damage.

Another thing I find frustrating, the boots did not come with the Alden Dust bags. Since this was my first pair of Aldens, I was not aware that they came with them. If not for this great forum, I would not know they came with them. I'm not sure if they were inadvertently misplaced, but the manager is going to send me some.

Pretty sure Indys don't come with bags... Don't quote me on that though.

ryen70

Reaction score
I kept reading about The Shoe Mart from this thread and jumped over to their website, lo and behold, they're in Norwalk, CT near where I live. Dropped by today and received very helpful service from Jerry. They have a whole section in the back with discounted Alden shoes (discontinued, seconds, etc.). Tried on a few pairs of shoes, but the wife was growing impatient. I'll definitely be back to check them out.

I wear size 8.5 Clarks Desert Boots and tried on a pair of Alden plain toe bluchers made on the barrie last, first in 8.5D and it seemed to fit fine; then I tried on a size 8E, and it was perfect. I'm also interested in the Context x Alden Roy Boot which is on the trubalance last. Would it size the same as the barrie last (i.e. I'd order the 8E as well)?

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha yes I've found out that Alden and wives don't get along.

Also I'm glad that they don't have my size in those Winn Perry boots as I just bought the J crew ones not too long ago. While I probably would prefer the double loc soles, I find the standard Alden double leather soles to be pretty tough and hard to wear out. I only slip in the standard soles when they are new or on ice, they have treated me pretty well in the rain.

cfull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbhewee
Pretty sure Indys don't come with bags... Don't quote me on that though.

They come with bags. My Kudu 404s came with them.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfull
My Indy 405's didn't come with any bags. The other 6 pairs of Aldens did however.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cfull
The Indy's I got from The Tannery were the Kudu 404's. I thought at first maybe bags were just for shoes, but when I got my new awesome Safari boots from Leather Soul and they came with a bag and a cool shoehorn, then I thought maybe it was a store thing or they inadvertently misplaced the bag.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhatAboutBob
The Indy's I got from The Tannery were the Kudu 404's. I thought at first maybe bags were just for shoes, but when I got my new awesome Safari boots from Leather Soul and they came with a bag and a cool shoehorn, then I thought maybe it was a store thing or they inadvertently misplaced the bag.

All the Alden products I've bought - and that's plenty - had bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads