***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

...and my frustration continues

Imagine how we feel...

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Looks like a good deal if you like the commando sole (I do)...no affiliation with seller http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-9-Eyelet-W...#ht_500wt_1156
    any chance those aren't #8? they look lighter than that any idea who made this boot originally? speed hooks, wingtip, commando sole, barrie last? J Gilbert looks to have these exact specs but not in shell

3. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

4. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

...and my sizing frustration continues

sorry for the long post.

I feel for you, and although I benefitted from one of your sizing issues, I wish I hadn't bc that would mean you would have been satisfied with a size and fit.

I must admit that Aldens can be tricky and I am dealing with some sizing issues of my own. I think shell is the trickiest, and it's even worse when you can't return them because of creasing. As some have mentioned before, hundreds, if not thousands have been drained find the right shoe and right fit.

Definitely feel for ya man, and good luck in the search for the right shoe.

5. dznqbit

dznqbit Active Member

any chance those aren't #8? they look lighter than that

any idea who made this boot originally? speed hooks, wingtip, commando sole, barrie last? J Gilbert looks to have these exact specs but not in shell

Carmel has a similar makeup

6. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

any chance those aren't #8? they look lighter than that

any idea who made this boot originally? speed hooks, wingtip, commando sole, barrie last? J Gilbert looks to have these exact specs but not in shell

Those appear to have a seconds/irregular mark on the sole, which means they're probably from one of Shoemart's irregulars e-mails.

7. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Those appear to have a seconds/irregular mark on the sole, which means they're probably from one of Shoemart's irregulars e-mails.

The emails none of us seem to be getting anymore? Wonder what the deal is?

8. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Could be from a while ago, or from another place. Carmel gets some irregulars sometimes.

9. CanuckBassist

CanuckBassist Senior member

Going back on the Alden shoe creams, where do you Canadians buy yours? The usual Alden dealers seem to be charging quite a bit for shipping such a small item.

10. granjamo

granjamo Well-Known Member

Shoemart. The only local store within 500 miles that carries Alden also generally carries them (and sadly, only a couple of options... though they've been carrying Alden for 30 years they don't carry much in stock... always has to be ordered... which throws me back in the "buying Alden via mail order"... which usually means it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the right fit for a shoe...)

11. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

What stores in Boston (looking specifically for downtown area - i.e. South End\\Newburry, etc) carries Aldens? I am heading there soon and looking for a pair Indys as well as a pair of dressier boots (i.e. wingtips or something of the ilk).

Suggestions?

12. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

What stores in Boston (looking specifically for downtown area - i.e. South End\\Newburry, etc) carries Aldens? I am heading there soon and looking for a pair Indys as well as a pair of dressier boots (i.e. wingtips or something of the ilk).

Suggestions?

north river outfitter on charles st

13. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

Shoemart. The only local store within 500 miles that carries Alden also generally carries them (and sadly, only a couple of options... though they've been carrying Alden for 30 years they don't carry much in stock... always has to be ordered... which throws me back in the "buying Alden via mail order"... which usually means it can take 4 to 6 weeks to get the right fit for a shoe...)
    nyc, is not that far from from shoemart....

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

Suggestions?

The Tannery. You used to be able to haggle with them for some pretty good deals. However, the last time I tried, they told me they no longer do that. Definitely check out the Harvard Square store on Brattle Street. The J. Crew men's store at the Copley Mall is worth a visit too. I believe it's the only other store outside of NYC that actually stocks Aldens.

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Also the Brooks brothers in Boston carries Alden makeups

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.