***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiamdream

chiamdream Senior member

Quick sizing question about the Barrie last in the context of the Roy Boot. I *think* that the consensus on here is that one should size down 1/2 a size from usual size in terms of length. What's the deal with width? I'm somewhere between a D and an EE, depending on the shoe. These are sizes that I wear pretty comfortably:

New Balance: 11.5 EE
    Sperry: 11.5 E
    Clarks DB: 11.5 D
    Quoddy: 11.5 D (although these are a *touch* long and narrow)

Thanks for any help.

2. Pelikan2

Pelikan2 Senior member

Quick sizing question about the Barrie last in the context of the Roy Boot. I *think* that the consensus on here is that one should size down 1/2 a size from usual size in terms of length. What's the deal with width? I'm somewhere between a D and an EE, depending on the shoe. These are sizes that I wear pretty comfortably: New Balance: 11.5 EE Sperry: 11.5 E Clarks DB: 11.5 D Quoddy: 11.5 D (although these are a *touch* long and narrow) Thanks for any help.
    I have 13.5D Quoddy Bluchers and 13D Roy boots - both fit perfectly. My Roys fit a touch wider than my Quoddys (and my Indys). Love them, by the way. One of my best purchases this year.

3. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

yeah i have 2 pairs of quoddy boat shoes in 9D and the 3sixteen quoddy chukka boot in 9D as well.

the roys in 8.5D were perfect. saving for the tankers in 8.5D

4. Pelikan2

Pelikan2 Senior member

This is neither a fit pic nor a very good pic, but perhaps it will give you some perspective on the Roys. I'll try to get a couple fit pics tomorrow. [​IMG] Laces were out for an Obenaufs application

5. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Look forward to the fit pics of above. Did the Obenaufs darken them appreciably? My vat of the stuff is on its way to my apt..

6. Pelikan2

Pelikan2 Senior member

Look forward to the fit pics of above. Did the Obenaufs darken them appreciably? My vat of the stuff is on its way to my apt..

I don't think it darkened them appreciably after it fully dried. I find it's hard to predict what Obenaufs will and will not darken. My Indys definitely darkened some, but the Roys not so much. It's great stuff though.

7. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Are the leather soul specials the only calf longwings currently available?

Edit - Carmel has some, but they have the commando soles. Damnitall!

8. mikesduc

mikesduc Senior member

Are the leather soul specials the only calf longwings currently available?

Edit - Carmel has some, but they have the commando soles. Damnitall!

+1 on that. If AOC would offer the brown LW's with a Leather sole I'd be all over it.

9. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Maybe we should make a request. I want some burgundy calf longwings. I guess I'm sol - most people probably want shell if they're getting a cordovan color.

10. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

+1 on that. If AOC would offer the brown LW's with a Leather sole I'd be all over it.

Thirded.

Why is it impossible to find an Alden wingtip in brown calf with a leather soul?
    Seems like it should be a shoe wardrobe staple...

11. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

not 100% sure but I think J crew has an Alden long wing in brown. may be worth calling the NY store to check.

12. chiamdream

chiamdream Senior member

I have 13.5D Quoddy Bluchers and 13D Roy boots - both fit perfectly. My Roys fit a touch wider than my Quoddys (and my Indys). Love them, by the way. One of my best purchases this year.

Thanks for this, and thanks for the pics...man, those are so nice-looking. Really well proportioned for a size 13!

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

14. chiamdream

chiamdream Senior member

Thanks for this, and thanks for the pics...man, those are so nice-looking. Really well proportioned for a size 13!

15. basho

basho Well-Known Member

This is neither a fit pic nor a very good pic, but perhaps it will give you some perspective on the Roys. I'll try to get a couple fit pics tomorrow. [​IMG] Laces were out for an Obenaufs application
    Those Roy Boots looks nice! Are you planning on wearing them in wet weather? I'm considering the Roy and am concerned about the durability of that leather toe patch on the sole, once it gets wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.