1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior Member

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

The information provided here is pretty clear, but it doesn't address the differences in widths of each last. Allen Edmonds' website does a better job of describing their lasts.

Thanks for the link, too bad there's not a cutaway / diagram showing or comparing the different lasts.

2. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Member

The last sizing is an issue I ran into when I purchased a pair of Ultimate Indy's. The half size up on the Trubalance last is a bit too wide, while the next size down is too snug. I guess I need an E width on the smaller size. Never thought my foot was particularly wide though. Anyone interested in a pair of Leather Soul Ultimate Indy's in 8.5 can pm me.

3. borderline

borderline Senior Member

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/fitting.htm

The information provided here is pretty clear, but it doesn't address the differences in widths of each last. Allen Edmonds' website does a better job of describing their lasts.

The AE info is amusing. "The 1 is like the 3. The three is like the seven. The seven is kind of like the 1, but a little wider. The four is a great fitting last" (for who?).

4. interlockingny

interlockingny Distinguished Member

The problem with Barrie lasted cordo boots is they are either D width or NO width! [​IMG] I just sent a pair of 10D Barrie Ravello WTs back to Alden to get relasted wider, slightly too tight and causing irritation on a bunion toe that I didn't know I had till now. AldenDC said they wouldn't be quite E width, more D.5. If it works, I'll just make it a habit of purchasing a shoe/boot and sending it straight back to the factory to be resized as E width. Since there is no charge, there is no reason not to. Hope it works. I have worn my AF43 Trubalance boots everyday to work for 1.5 years, the heel insole, I think is worn out and I haven't seen any good replacements on the market. For those who haven't seen this, it is a anti-fungal, anti-odor green foam thingy, but it is topped with very nice leather. It is very comfortable. A question. I'm guessing I have to call Alden to purchase a new one as I haven't seen replacements offered at any of the Alden dealers? Great site and great information, thanks to all.
    IIRC, the difference between a D and E width on the Barrie last is 3/16" So rather than spend all that extra money of buying a D and having it resized, I think you could get away with wearing an E width and thicker socks. Edit: You said it didn't cost you anything, so you can disregard. However, rather than send a shoe back each time you make a purchase, why not order it an E and try the thicker socks?

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

the Alden website is pretty oddly sparce, I agree

they rely on their retailers for a lot

a definitive source for sizing/lasts would be helpful, but perhaps they dont want to project a false precision.

for instance, I am basically an 8.75. I can often/usually wear a standard 8.5E or 9D. I can wear 8.5 D Aberdeen and 8.5D Barrie, while many (most?)others need to size down for Barrie.

so at the end of the day, I still need to try the shoes on, b/c no "one size fits all" (pun intended) advice would have worked for me

6. REguy

REguy Senior Member

They don't charge for re-lasting? [​IMG]

I sent a pair back to them recently and asked if they could make a sizing change. They returned the shoes and said they wouldn't relast them. Did you go through a special channel to make it happen?

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Cordo #8 Smooths, right out of the box. Not sure how I managed to live without these for so long

[​IMG]

8. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior Member

I sent a pair back to them recently and asked if they could make a sizing change. They returned the shoes and said they wouldn't relast them. Did you go through a special channel to make it happen?

I inquired through an email that was provided on their website. From my understanding they no longer do sizing/width and last changes. They can however re-sole but it needs to be of the same size and width.

9. framus

framus Active Member

I went to the Alden DC store and they suggested to send them back, they told me there was no charge. I feel kinda bad, I didn't even buy the shoes from them and they're helping me like I did. I will make it a point to buy my next shoes from Alden DC, once I confirm exactly what works for me. However it's only been two weeks, maybe I get a call from Alden saying they won't relast them. We'll see.

The Grant cap-toe boot last seemed to work when I tried them in the store, so that may be my next purchase.

10. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

Cordo #8 Smooths, right out of the box. Not sure how I managed to live without these for so long

[​IMG]

Those look bad ass. Makes me want some smooth toed shoes! That color makes me drool every time I see it.

11. interlockingny

interlockingny Distinguished Member

I feel kinda bad, I didn't even buy the shoes from them and they're helping me like I did. I will make it a point to buy my next shoes from Alden DC, once I confirm exactly what works for me.

Both the Alden DC and SF stores are outstanding for customer service.

12. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Distinguished Member

anyone have worn pics of the natural chrom indy boots?

13. JoeRogan

JoeRogan Senior Member

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the J. Crew 405's compare in color to the 403 Chromexcel? I don't like the color of the "regular" 405, it's a little light for my taste. I was going to get the J. Crew version because it's nice and dark then saw some 403's for sale in B&S and they actually look pretty similar in color to the J. Crew 405. Is there really not much of a difference, or are the pictures deceiving me?

14. slide13

slide13 Distinguished Member

from what I have seen the J Crew Indy is the same as the 403 Indy as far as leather goes. Only difference really is the stitching around the heel area on the J Crew boot...and maybe a slight difference in welt color.

15. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

from what I have seen the J Crew Indy is the same as the 403 Indy as far as leather goes. Only difference really is the stitching around the heel area on the J Crew boot...and maybe a slight difference in welt color.

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.