1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

I know this has been asked before, but what is the best way to get on this list?

Geoff

Seriously. I signed up to get the emails many months ago but I have never ever gotten one. (I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing though [​IMG] )

2. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with the 379X last? Particularly compared to the Barrie of Van last?

in general, if you go with the same size in 379X last and the Barrie last, the 379X will feel too snug.

3. lxlfeng

lxlfeng Senior member

Seriously. I signed up to get the emails many months ago but I have never ever gotten one. (I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing though [​IMG] )

aint no love for your size then haha

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I know this has been asked before, but what is the best way to get on this list?

Geoff

I actually asked and never received the list. I then bought a couple of pairs of Alden's from the Shoe Mart and now get the email in the sizes I purchased.

What's up
    I've been lurking for a minute, first time post.

I've had the Alden Winn Perry "little tanks" for just over a month now and something strange is happening with the leather toe part of the crepe sole. It seems to be warping/bending away from its crepe partner. Right now it's only happening on the left shoe. Has anyone heard of or seen this happening before? Sorry about the shitty iphone pics.

I wore my crepe soles today and though I do not like the crepe sole, because I do not think it looks dressy, I do not mind the leather doing that on mine at all. The leather is there because it is easy to replace and I guess saves the wear on the toe of the crepe. There are other shoe companies that do not have the leather tip to their soles and I guess they do not have serious problems so I am not sure why Alden does their crepe soles in this manner. I prefer the commando sole to the crepe and will seek it out always over the crepe in the future. I am not ruling out buying crepe ever again if I see a shoe I really like but it would have to be a less dressy shoe as I think the sole look yucky after a single wear. I wish Alden had something like the Dainite sole. [​IMG]

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I actually asked and never received the list. I then bought a couple of pairs of Alden's from the Shoe Mart and now get the email in the sizes I purchased.

I used to get the emails. Now I don't. I wish shoemart would get their shit together. [​IMG]

6. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

I wore my crepe soles today and though I do not like the crepe sole, because I do not think it looks dressy, I do not mind the leather doing that on mine at all. The leather is there because it is easy to replace and I guess saves the wear on the toe of the crepe. There are other shoe companies that do not have the leather tip to their soles and I guess they do not have serious problems so I am not sure why Alden does their crepe soles in this manner. I prefer the commando sole to the crepe and will seek it out always over the crepe in the future. I am not ruling out buying crepe ever again if I see a shoe I really like but it would have to be a less dressy shoe as I think the sole look yucky after a single wear. I wish Alden had something like the Dainite sole. [​IMG]

I am plagairizing someone else's post from some point earlier on this thread, but I believe I read the reason Alden uses a leather tip on the crepe soles is to prevent "tripping."

7. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

8. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I am plagairizing someone else's post from some point earlier on this thread, but I believe I read the reason Alden uses a leather tip on the crepe soles is to prevent "tripping."
    OH, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

The best way to get on the list is to call and ask to speak to one of the owners. If the sales rep asks you what is your reason, tell him/her you want to talk about Aldens.

The owner can forward you the email instantly and you will be put on the list for your size thereafter.

10. WQLauraSJacksonBB

WQLauraSJacksonBB New Member

11. Collectro

Collectro Member

I haven't experienced this 'problem' on my crepes - maybe not enought wear yet, but I've worn a pair of boots w/crepe all winter and they're holding up fine.

Just use a stiff brush on the reverse chamois as needed - maybe a little spray if you like. Someone, maybe Steven at Leffot, said neatsfoot oil.

Thanks guys.
    I've decided to wait a few seasons or until the crepe starts to look really shitty and send them to alden for a resole. I want the double waterlock oiled leather sole and vintage Goodyear rubber heel, essentially turning them into the leathersoul pitt boots only on a barrie last. I'm not really sure how the resole works, would the antiqued edge trim still remain or would it have to be recreated during the resole?

12. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

if you're not getting the lists, check your spam, that's where mine was.

13. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

if you're not getting the lists, check your spam, that's where mine was.

+1

14. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

I would argue that handling and wearing an AE/RW/Florsheim shoe is a much different, and frankly lower quality, experience than handling and wearing pretty much any Alden. .

I disagree. I own 7 pairs of AE, 8 pairs of Alden, and one pair of C&J. I can say from experience that AE holds up quite well next to Alden in terms of quality, comfort and design. In fact, I actually prefer my AEs for business wear (I'm a trial lawyer). The AE Clifton is one hell of a nice shoe for Tuesday mornings in a courtroom, but they are totally out of place with jeans in the evening at a bar. That's where Alden really shines. The Aldens are heavier because of the steel shank (metal detector nightmare) and are shaped somewhat clunkier (the Barrie last won't win any awards for sleekness) --- which makes them great for Saturday evenings on the town. Even my Ravello NSTs on the Aberdeen last are a bit too clunky for suit wear. However, across the board, my Aldens are much more stylish shoes. Tweed sportcoat, well-worn cords and Alden Color 8 wingtip boots -- perfect for a night of swilling beer.

I also have to say AE also won me over when with their customer service. I bought a pair of the brown cordo Strands in my normal size from an online discounter. They're made from the same Horween brown shell cordovan used in the C&J Ralph Lauren Darlton wingtips I have, and with excellent brogueing. When I got them, they fit very large. I wore them for about a week and as they began to break in, I realized that they were simply too big for my feet. Took them to my local AE store in Chicago, and they re-sized me and exchanged my worn cordovan shoes for new ones, no questions asked and without a receipt! That's one hell of a good way to make a loyal customer for life. Alden certainly has great customer service as well, but currently not at the same level.

Alden makes a fantastic shoe. That's why I own so many of them and read this thread. But they are not clearly superior to other American made shoes.

15. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

Anyone have opinions on this cigar shell model on the van last? I am intrigued, as it might go as a casual shoe, maybe even sockless...

[​IMG]

16. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

^ My first thought is "Some retailer gets an allocation of cigar shell and that's what they make?"

17. HarryFlashman

HarryFlashman Member

^ My first thought is "Some retailer gets an allocation of cigar shell and that's what they make?"

Haha... I am torn, I feel like that, but am somewhat intrigued as it is something I've never seen before. Though, seems I'd better fill whatever need this shoes would fill with some Quoddy's or something... You never know what will appear on the Alden's seconds emails! I had a similar thought to HorseHide when I saw these Ravello/#8 combos on the modified last:

[​IMG]

18. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

+1 million. Awful to see cigar abused like that.

19. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

That is the reasoning I heard. the toe of crepe soles tend to catch on the surface you are walking on especially if it is carpet. the leather slides better when you are bring your foot forward and slightly touching the surface. Also, my understanding, Alden fully expects the leather toe will need to be replaced before the crepe needs to be. But they should both last a long time.

20. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Anyone have opinions on this cigar shell model on the van last? I am intrigued, as it might go as a casual shoe, maybe even sockless...

[​IMG]

The ranger moc great casual shoe. Not usually made up in shell although I own a pair in shell #8. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.