1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Distinguished Member

These arrived on Friday but I didn't get a chance to unbox and photo until tonight. My first Shoemart Seconds. [​IMG] Thanks to interlockingny for the tip on availability, and thanks to Shoemart for the extra January Sale 10% off and their usual great customer service - I can't say I'm planning to stock up in advance of the price increase any further, but I never thought I'd get these brand new for that price! Now if only they'd get some whiskey longwings in 11D/11E... [​IMG] Cigar Shell Longwing Bluchers, 97894 Seconds - the flaw in these is probably a combination of a) some discoloration under a "blucher" on one shoe, shown in photo #2 but invisible once laces are on, and b) a bit of extra leather on one "blucher" - pictured below in photo #3. Planning to remove this with some very tiny very sharp sewing scissors soon, and they'll be perfect! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ennui

ennui Senior Member

These arrived on Friday but I didn't get a chance to unbox and photo until tonight. My first Shoemart Seconds. [​IMG]

Congrats. I ordered the same shoes full-price from AoC. They are my favorite shoes right now.

I'm thinking about getting LWBs in #8 before the price increase. Not sure if I should get two of the same style though. The SWBs on the Tremont seem to cut into my ankle, so those are out. Any suggestions for a second shoe anyone?

3. MiniW

MiniW Distinguished Member

I haven't gotten any shoemart seconds emails for the past 2-3 months, and I got them regularly before. I wonder what the deal is? On the other hand I probably saved $400-$800 because I haven't been receiving them.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Stylish Dinosaur

Initially i thought they took me off the email list because i complained about loose stitching. I emailed Matt from Shoemart and he said that its just been a while the they send out the emails He also told me they would send one for the month of Jan but still nothing : (

5. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior Member

[​IMG]
    cigar cap toe boots

Great shoes.

6. harrythedog

harrythedog Well-Known Member

Congrats. I ordered the same shoes full-price from AoC. They are my favorite shoes right now.

I'm thinking about getting LWBs in #8 before the price increase. Not sure if I should get two of the same style though. The SWBs on the Tremont seem to cut into my ankle, so those are out. Any suggestions for a second shoe anyone?

leather soul is doing a #8 shortwing on a barrie, pre order closes jan 31. it's going to be a beautiful shoe!

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior Member

Unionmade is doing a #8 wingtip boot with a light antique edge for fall based on how nice those Bureau longwings are.

Also a secret collabo with forum members Peterock and DJ Arrow has been submitted. Details will emerge soon!

8. king*stink

king*stink Active Member

Mac them cigar captor boots are killer.
    Wgp nice score on the cigar longwings. I need a pair in my life. I hope they pop up in a 9.5d irregular. I copped some whiskey longwings last month from the irregular list. The only problem I see is a excess of stain in the bottom of the sole. the color#8s on there now are so tempting. But not sure if I need 2 color 8 wingtips. I guess I could sell a pair once the leathersole shortwings finally arrive.

9. arrow

arrow Senior Member

Unionmade is doing a #8 wingtip boot with a light antique edge for fall based on how nice those Bureau longwings are.

Also a secret collabo with forum members Peterock and DJ Arrow has been submitted. Details will emerge soon!

That's great Jason! [​IMG]

On another note, I tried some Flex welt chukkas for the first time at Alden SF and was really surprised on how comfortable and flexible they were. I wish I knew about their fit long ago... would have picked them up pronto. Just remember to size up by 0.5 inch on the Leydon last.

Tom... anymore re-stocks planned for the Flex Chukka boot?

10. burningbright

burningbright Distinguished Member

A question for the chromexcel wearers. Just grabbed a pair of chromexcel Indy's and was wondering:

a) what are you using to care for them?

b) how often are you caring for them?

Per a recommendation on here, I grabbed some Venetian shoe cream from George over at Oak Street Bootmakers, but I also read on Nick Horween's blog that Neatsfoot Oil is what he recommends. I read here that the Neatsfoot darkens the leather, which I don't have a problem with, but I just wanted to hear some of you guys weigh in on the matter because this is my first pair of shoes/boots using chromexcel.

I've already applied a liberal amount of the Venetian cream and gave it a decent buffing and brushing but didn't really notice a difference from the before and after (should there be a difference?).

11. king*stink

king*stink Active Member

Brown chromexcel won't buff to a high shine. I have read that neatsfoot oil is not good for the stitching. On my indies I conditioned them when I got them and do so about every week. Once every other month I apply snoseal and heat the leather so it soaks it all in. The snoseal will darken them. Then give it a buff with a brush and it brings it to a nice matte shine. Other than that I just wipe or dust them off depending on what I did in them.

12. Aries83

Aries83 Senior Member

Those boots are a thing of beauty mcarthur.

13. scb

scb Senior Member

so the shoemart 10% is just in store and over the phone? sorry, I wasn't paying attention enough to this before

14. velomane

velomane Senior Member

so the shoemart 10% is just in store and over the phone? sorry, I wasn't paying attention enough to this before

Sorry to report to you: that deal ended yesterday. However, sometimes just asking will yield a positive result.

15. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Distinguished Member

Great shoes.

Man, aren't they? Why is it that Mac's shoes generally look so much better than mine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.