• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shasta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Is anyone else worried that Alden is expanding too rapidly?

I hope they have a plan to contract back down after the latest trend in men's footwear dies down. They have seen rapid growth with many retailers. I just worry that once they aren't the "gotta have" shoe, they will be stuck with huge inventories.

why would you be worried about them having huge inventoires? If that were the case, wouldn't they likely need to provide steep discounts to move the goods and therefore you'd benefit?

HorseHide

Reaction score

I hope they have a plan to contract back down after the latest trend in men's footwear dies down. They have seen rapid growth with many retailers. I just worry that once they aren't the "gotta have" shoe, they will be stuck with huge inventories.

It's keeping me up at night.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well I think lots of people here have previously alluded to this growth as being a potential cause for all the QC problems people report.

cimabue

Reaction score
I think it's that but maybe more a union shop issue. I know something about the game. 'Can smell it.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
came home to find these beauties in box waiting for me ... #4/black saddles
5371328440_3e6a93aab5_z.jpg
tom included a surprise leathersoul shoe horn ... thanks Tom!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Solution: Stock up now!

And my order's safely shipped, so I'll go ahead and post it - I was lucky enough to snag some cigar shell longwing bluchers from Shoemart, seconds - plus they were nice enough to apply the January sale since it was a phone order. Before anyone asks, there are no more cigar/whiskey/ravello longwings in any size as far as the phone rep could see.
wink.gif

$350 + $10 shipping - is that about what Aldens cost in 1999? Sure, seconds, but if they turn out to be in good shape, I think I'm doing extremely, extremely well in my inflation-fighting!
teacha.gif

cfull

Reaction score

I don't think Alden is keeping huge inventories. They are making all these shoes in batches for other retailers. If anyone is going to get stuck with excess inventory, it's going to be JCrew etc.

cimabue

Reaction score
It'll be a long time before the Alden craze is played out. Look at growing European demand, for instance. I think the bottleneck has to do with the supply of shell cordovan. US horses are sacrosanct, can't be harvested, I believe.

harrythedog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude

i want a shoe horn, also want your shoes!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
got my j crew snuff suede aldens. just amazing.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it was me, I wouldn't return the boots over a scuff like that.
Originally Posted by whatisthe
I tried to buff it out with a cloth and leather brush but it had no effect. Would you keep these or return them? It's going to cost me ~$15 or so to return them and reorder them. Is it typical for them to arrive with some imperfections?

trunks206

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
And my order's safely shipped, so I'll go ahead and post it - I was lucky enough to snag some cigar shell longwing bluchers from Shoemart, seconds - plus they were nice enough to apply the January sale since it was a phone order. Before anyone asks, there are no more cigar/whiskey/ravello longwings in any size as far as the phone rep could see.
wink.gif

$350 + $10 shipping - is that about what Aldens cost in 1999? Sure, seconds, but if they turn out to be in good shape, I think I'm doing extremely, extremely well in my inflation-fighting!
teacha.gif

Damn great deal! Please post pics when they come in.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
wink.gif

teacha.gif

Glad it worked out for you. Post a pic when you get them if you don't mind. Cigar LWB are solid.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude

Whoa, for some reason your pic (albeit low quality) looks more appealing to me than the pics on LS's site. I hope my size is long gone by now because I'm still tempted and craving them.
frown.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
I think it's that but maybe more a union shop issue. I know something about the game. 'Can smell it.

Having years of experience (two decades) with organized labor I can say that the probability of your statement being correct is far better than average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads