***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

from the moulded shoe home page...

*Please be advised that Alden has informed us that there will be a price increase effective:

February 26, 2011

jesus what else is new

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

Man these guys are milking their popularity right now.

3. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

At the beginning of December, I bought a pair of Indy 405 Kuro's from a local Cambridge MA retailer. They're 11D, a little big, but are really comfortable. So comfortable, I bought a pair of seconds from TSM in the 405 brown and hoping to someday get a pair of them in cigar (or another Alden boot)

I just noticed over the weekend that I am having a little separation between the vibram sole and the sole that the welt attaches to the shoe (if that's the correct terminology - it's definitely below the welt). I'm sure they can reglue it easily enough, I'm just concerned that with the recent weather, snow and water from puddles may have got between the top of the vibram sole and the bottom of the leather (or whatever it is) that it is glued to. I'm not concerned about what it looks like, because it will be reglued, I just don't want any rot to the footbed or underside of the uppers.

Is this something the retail shop will farm out to a cobbler or will these travel 40 miles or so back to Alden for them to repair?

Being so new, should I be entitled to a new pair or a refund?

I did not beat on them, I wear them to work in an office and outside in the snowstorm. I used a snowblower to clear 99% of the 2 feet of snow,

I'm a little shocked that they had an issue so quickly for a pair of $435 boot.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

4. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Well done, sazon -- great short wing boots in #8!!

5. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Don't see many of these around here from what I can recall. Cigar shell WT Boots. Pics taken in different light conditions. Love the colour tonality.

[​IMG]

Big "wow" to these, too!

6. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Though they do put out a product we all love, these guys are KILLING me. But I can't say I am shocked by the price increase. I should probably buy a few pairs I was gonna hold off on between now and the end of February...wallet be damned. Ha.

7. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Actually they increase the price every February. Been like that ever since I started with them in 2004.

8. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

from the moulded shoe home page... *Please be advised that Alden has informed us that there will be a price increase effective: February 26, 2011
    This is nothing new. In fact each February, at least in the past few years, there have been ~5% price hikes across the board.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

Soooo that makes it ok with no justifiable reason?

Will it ever stop or are we looking at $1000 shoes in a few years?

10. LeatherSOUL

Soooo that makes it ok with no justifiable reason? Will it ever stop or are we looking at $1000 shoes in a few years?
    Yeah pretty much. It is justified though-inflation, increased cost of production-wage increases (employees are in a union), increased cost of materials-especially leather, etc. Back in 2000 when I was selling Alden at a part time job, shell cordovan was $375.

11. jet

jet Persian Bro

Wow that's crazy, seems not many others are doing the same thing to survive so to speak. Ironically this will probably affect their bottom line in a few years as the demand for this sort of stuff isn't inelastic and once this americana trend declines they won't be enjoying the surge in popularity as they have been. Very interesting to see how it all pans out. Makes me want to order some trickers instead [​IMG]

12. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

Yeah pretty much. It is justified though-inflation, increased cost of production-wage increases (employees are in a union), increased cost of materials-especially leather, etc.

Back in 2000 when I was selling Alden at a part time job, shell cordovan was $375.

But, but why aren't Toyota Corollas pushing $40k then?

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Mass produced for Toyota? And the exclusivity of cordovan leathers for Alden? No one will do a 9 month pre-order for a Toyota (except if you really want to count the LFA [​IMG] , but with Alden, you betcha.

Cars, in general, are getting more expensive though. A fully loaded Honda Accord V6 will be over $30k now.

14. LeatherSOUL

I have no idea. But weren't they about $2000 back in the 70's?

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

I think a more appropriate question would be why aren't all other shoemakers increasing 5% every year like clockwork. I don't like companies that think they are impervious to the market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.